Maxy Hoping For Dual Role

SirJohnLambie

How many coaches do we need? We have Ian Cameron for the first team and Donnelly for the youth teams, do we need more than that. An assistant manager is more important than another coach, and I'd like someone who is qualified for the position, not a player doubling up as assistant manager. With Gardner Speirs and Gerry Britton we had people who had managed other clubs and had an idea what they were doing; someone with a bit of experience who isn't Davie Irons is essential, however could there be an issue if we sign someone up to the job Irons was made redundant from?

How many coaches do we need? We have Ian Cameron for the first team and Donnelly for the youth teams, do we need more than that. An assistant manager is more important than another coach, and I'd like someone who is qualified for the position, not a player doubling up as assistant manager. With Gardner Speirs and Gerry Britton we had people who had managed other clubs and had an idea what they were doing; someone with a bit of experience who isn't Davie Irons is essential, however could there be an issue if we sign someone up to the job Irons was made redundant from?

not sure if I read this or someone told me, but is the majority of coaches at Thistle part-time?

Anyone clarify this?

From the MTM night in The Goat, I got the impression that Cameron would have been McCall's first choice. However, he has a good job that he doesn't have any intention of leaving and this militates against his being picked as Assistant.

It was also clear from that night that any one or all of Donnelly, Maxwell and McNamara would be involved in coaching for next year and, in all likelihood that an Assistant (however he might be described) would come from amongst this group

Edited by Allan Heron

Maybe the only 'acceptable' solution would be for Jaggy Mac to get the assistant job and double up as a player, but that would mean another unqualified coach to go with Sid and Maxi. It seems a right mess to me and people are making decisions/considering options in an ad hoc way, what did McCall say about this at the MTMN, was it just that Maxi and Jaggy were being considered for the role?

Edited to add: pre-empted by Allan :thumbsup2:

Edited by Jagnificent

Partick Thistle Football Club; giving a chance to players who can't play anymore and are desperately trying to cling onto their association to football since 2009.

Especially given our budget cuts, I'd rather we spent the money, however little it may be, on financing a player's contract.

Maxwell was finished as a player last season and, I for one, would be extremely annoyed if he is given another playing contract.

I'd rather we released him to be honest. He isn't good enough even as backup anymore and we need an assistant manager in, preferably with experience in coaching before bringing another novice onto the coaching staff.

Agree with you. If McNamara is bought in then he can perform the dual functions. If the Board are not providing enough money for new signings then its important we get Maxwell off our books to at least free up a wage

Partick Thistle Football Club; giving a chance to players who can't play anymore and are desperately trying to cling onto their association to football since 2009.

Especially given our budget cuts, I'd rather we spent the money, however little it may be, on financing a player's contract.

Maxwell was finished as a player last season and, I for one, would be extremely annoyed if he is given another playing contract.

Agreed. Well maybe the "extremely annoyed" is perhaps a bit far - but I get what you mean.

I think he's been a good player for us but I think hes finished at this level.

The way I see it Maxwell would have to have terrific potential (or indeed demonstrated exceptional ability) as a coach to justify this. If that was so he could register as a player in case of an injury crisis. That accepted no way should he be anywhere near the team even during Archie's absence. The guy can't even play in a flat back four just now never mind next season.

Somehow it looks like McCall may be of a mind that two coaches = one assistant manager. :thumbdown:

McCall said at one of the MTM (can't remember if it was the Goat or the CF one) that he would be trying to get Maxwell as a coach and to use as "emergancy cover" - which I take to mean that he'll mainly be a coach and only play if everyone else has lost their legs. Meaning, perhaps that he'll be registered as a player but maybe not get a full players wage? :thinking:

Pretty sure Cameron only turns up on match days to help out, because of his accounting job. He may turn up once, during the week but I'm fairly certain he doesn't.

So if thats the case does Cameron get a wage from the Club? I doubt it and if so, he doesn't really count as a coach, in a permanent sense.

Pretty sure Cameron only turns up on match days to help out, because of his accounting job. He may turn up once, during the week but I'm fairly certain he doesn't.

So if thats the case does Cameron get a wage from the Club? I doubt it and if so, he doesn't really count as a coach, in a permanent sense.

I'm sure McCall said at the MTMN in the Goat that he's in on a Friday as well as matchdays, still not very much however. Looks like Maxy will be staying, if he's showing the potential to be a good coach, then it may well be worth keeping him on. He says in the article that he doesn't see why he couldn't play alot next season, well I do & McCall said the same last week. Would be ok for an emergency though, hopefully.

Guest Argus

Being a friend of the manager obviously means more than experience.

Serious allegation to make. What's your proof? (not that I actually don't think you are wide of the mark)

I was concerned with the 'jobs for the boys' angle when Irons got the assistant job. Was surprised when he was shoved out/asked to leave/made redundant/walked away/left by mutual consent/we couldn't afford him (delete depending on which way the wind is blowing today)