Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

May be a bit early to think about signing players as the season isnt over yet, but early business is good business!

I think our targets for the summer should be:

Brian Graham (Raith Rovers)

Freddie Bachirou (Morton)

Nicky Clark (Queen of the South) debatable

Lawrence Shankland (Queens Park)

Just a couple of names that jump into my head, thoughts?

Saw today that Steven Saunders is being released by Motherwell. Was in such good form he got a Scotland cap in 2010, but has been out injured for almost two years, so getting ditched.

He says he'd be willing to go on trial to get a deal. Think he might be a possibility, and a good signing if fit enough. Pals with Forbes and Lawless as well I'd imagine.

Saw today that Steven Saunders is being released by Motherwell. Was in such good form he got a Scotland cap in 2010, but has been out injured for almost two years, so getting ditched.

He says he'd be willing to go on trial to get a deal. Think he might be a possibility, and a good signing if fit enough. Pals with Forbes and Lawless as well I'd imagine.

I reckon saunders would be a great signing! However, its a risk as he is injury prone

He would deffo be worth a trial. Would love to see Rory McAllister at Firhill. Out of contract, passed his exams, got a good job to fall back on (might not be looking for big money) scores goals for fun and is a big, powerful striker

He would deffo be worth a trial. Would love to see Rory McAllister at Firhill. Out of contract, passed his exams, got a good job to fall back on (might not be looking for big money) scores goals for fun and is a big, powerful striker

he tore Sevco apart in the last few games, more than likely he will end up there if he goes anywhere.

I see Cairney has dropped out of the Hibs squad entirely...maybe they'll release him this summer?

There's one for you guys, if we could have one of the following signed up for next year, who would you go for: Cairney, Erskine, Harkins?

Harkins by a country mile. Would be a major coup if we could re-sign him, but I'm already resigned to it not happening.

I think it would have to be Harkins as he has shown he can perform at SPL level. What age is he now ?

It looks like Cairney hasn't coped too well at Hibs and Erskine has still to prove he can do it.

Harkins is 28. I'd definitely take him if we had the chance, he has some good SPL experience behind him now and appears to have made a huge difference at Dundee in recent months.

Cairney has done fairly well at Hibs by all accounts. He has only struggled to get into the squad towards the end of the season, but this is only his first season in the SPL so being in and out the squad can be expected.

I feel cairney has been a little hard done by. He played every game that got Hibs to second in the league. Then when a couple of defeats came he was first to be dropped, as the new boy, and ever since their defeats keep coming. Be interesting to see his win average compared to Hibs overall. He's played really well in a couple games I've seen and been more anonymous in others. He's set griffiths on a plate on a number of occasions.

Would still prefer Harkins but I understand he is off to Motherwell.

I've been trying to think about this in terms of what we need:

GK - Backup for Fox

LB - Competition/backup for Sinky

RB - Competition/backup for SoD. Depends on McMillan.

CB - Backup, as I think Conrad and Aero are good enough.

Holding CM - Replacement for Paton

AM - Erskine's a-gonner so we need an inventive winger/AM

CF - Archie probably has a target in mind given he that hasn't offered Craig a new deal

This assumes that we're able to hold on to those under contract.

I see Cairney has dropped out of the Hibs squad entirely...maybe they'll release him this summer?

There's one for you guys, if we could have one of the following signed up for next year, who would you go for: Cairney, Erskine, Harkins?

The word from a colleague who is a Hibs fan is that Cairney has been ill, diagnosed with a condition similar to Darren Fletcher.

If it is true, I wish him a speedy recovery.

The word from a colleague who is a Hibs fan is that Cairney has been ill, diagnosed with a condition similar to Darren Fletcher.

If it is true, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Didn't Cairney come down with an illness one season when he was with us. His last, best season came after he'd recovered from it.

GK - Backup for Fox

CF - Archie probably has a target in mind given he that hasn't offered Craig a new deal

That seems about right, and would equate to the six or so players that we need to come in.

GK - Backup for Fox

If Doolan still signs we would only have McGuigan who needs to be loaned out so I would expect us to add another 2-3 forwards possibly
  • Like 1

We currently have;

2 keepers (Fox, Scully). We need at least 3

6 defenders (Muirhead, Balatoni, Sinclair, O'Donnell, McMillan, Dowie). We need at least 8

5 midfielders (Forbes, Welsh, Craigan, Murray, Bannigan). We need at least 7

1.5 wingers (Lawless Elliot). We need at least 4

2 strikers (Doolan, McGuigan). We need at least 3

We managed to get through the majority of this season with a squad of around 18/19 players, and that got stretched at times. Even after adding the 2 boys from Dunfermline, the squad size was still a bit tight. Next season we will need a squad of at least 24/25 players, so if we only lose the 4 (Paton, Erskine, Craig, Daniels) that we know about, and we keep what we have above, we will still need to bring in at least another 8 players. Obviously some of these guys may also be moved on/released, so we could be looking at needing maybe 10 or 11 new signings for next season.

ps....The "We need" figures are presuming we will be playing the same formation as we have this season.

We currently have;

2 keepers (Fox, Scully). We need at least 3

6 defenders (Muirhead, Balatoni, Sinclair, O'Donnell, McMillan, Dowie). We need at least 8

5 midfielders (Forbes, Welsh, Craigan, Murray, Bannigan). We need at least 7

1.5 wingers (Lawless Elliot). We need at least 4

Is the .5 because Lawless is a wee punter or because Elliott is Elliott?