Nfl Season 13/14 Thread

mrD

haha. didn't see this post - well who at the moment is top with 7-1 :P speaking of the 49es I watched half of their game in london against the jaguars. It was quite scary how easy the 49ers worked through their defence considering the problems they've got at the moment with their wide recievers. The amount of yards the 49ers covered in single plays was pretty immense. A lot of those plays were pass and run plays as opposed to rushes and yet the 49ers apparently are more of a rushing team than pass and run team.. So was them being so good against the jaguars defence down to the 49ers being so good or is it down to the jaguars being so shit? Why are the jaguars so shit? I'd've thought that with the draft system and all that that there wouldnt be such a divergence of quality..

There has been a lot of rumours about how NFL is going to bring a franchise to london and having jaguars as the "home team" for the international series seems to be a sweetener about getting UK audience to identify with them since the franchise is apparently weak where it is situated just now. At that game, most of the fans where on the 49er side by virtue i guess with being american football fans in the 80s and seeing one of the best teams ever playing. I think in american football (feel free to correct me if im wrong) that people are ok with identfying with one local franchise and then another if it moves or is wound up. But i think in the UK the kinda supporter culture associated with soccer where one sticks with their team no matter what might be problematic for people to switch from their pre london franchise team to the london franchise team should it come into being. If that be the case wonder how the NFL are going to handle that in order to extend american football this side of the atlantic?

Im already stuck with the seahawks it seems!

The draft system allows teams a chance to be able to rebuild and become a good team again, the length of time that takes to happen just depends on who is available in the various drafts and specifically a QB. The Jags don't have one and haven't for a while. Blackmon and Shorts are good wide receivers but you need someone who can throw them the ball. MJD was one of the baddest RB's in the game for a number of years despite playing for an awful team but he has been ut with injuries and when they other team know they aren't going to pass it's easier to stuff the run.

Some teams find a way to suck longer than the draft system is supposed to allow, Jacksonville being the main ones just now, historically this was what the Brown's did.

Would've been pretty funny if the Buccs had held on last night, c'est la vie.

Would've been pretty funny if the Buccs had held on last night, c'est la vie.

good to see the seahawks having an emphatic over 30 points win this time. also good to see it happening away and not having the 12th man advantage. Only got to see the fourth quarter of that game sadly - although good to hear the commentator saying the 'hawks are championship material :D . watched 49ers V carolina though. was a total slug fest - really enjoyed it. despite 49ers losing to that, i think seahawks will lose to the 49ers when we play em next @ san fransisco. think the 49ers should have tried to have played for one touchdown instead of one of those field goals..

looking forward to seeing the cheifs playing next week... will they make it 10-0?

Edited by mrD

49ers consigned to the dustbin of history.

Hmmmm, not so sure about that; a last kick of the game narrow loss to the high flying Saints wasn't quite a season ender for the 49ers, but I'm fairly confident that they'll make the play-offs and maybe produce a post-season upset or two.

It was the same Saints who succumbed to some Kaepernick-inspired magic in last season's NFC Championship game. A bit of an off night for one or two SF luminaries last night, but their season is still very much alive.

Guess we'll see, maybe they'll get their mojo again next time againt seahawks

So how does it work once the play offs happen?

http://www.justbookies.com/Articles/NFL_Betting.htm?gclid=CPecv-aF77oCFUNe3godwBcADg

Seahawks second favourites to win the superbowl according to this. Surprised to see the cheifs so low down on that list. Kinda sad they got their first loss yesterday...

Not sure if historical success is factored into the current odds - eg SF and the Broncos have 'pedigree' - thereby explaining why the Chiefs are relatively unfancied. But if that's the case, the Seahawks would be in the same boat. Maybe the pundits are seeing vulnerability in KC's make up which they're not seeing in Seattle's?

It's a funny old game, Saint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wondering if the cardinals are going to get in the way of the 49ers getting their wildcard place...

mental that the cheifs are now in a position of only perhaps getting into the playoffs through wildcard status - its a funny old game nfl.

great first season to be a seahawks fan!!!

Gettin right into the nfl this season, look forward to it every dundsy on sky, despite knowing very little about it still!

thats the same as me. ive watched it sporadically when i was a kid, but this is the first time i've paid attention to a whole season and found myself a team. Guess its just luck that the team ive ended up with are having an amazing season and are currently number 2 in the odds to win the superbowl..

3 games coming up in wembley for next season, i think im gonna go to watch the dolphins v the raiders. Think i might go for the dolphins cause they were one of the teams i liked when i was a kid despite never watching them play in that era...

http://www.nfluk.com/tickets

The reason ive got into it this year is i started hangin out with a guy who loves the oakland raiders, so we too are also plannin to go that game, tickets dint go on sale till jan i think tho.

I want to like the jacksonville jag cos their nickname is same ours, and cos they r shit, i like to route for the underdog, but my mate wd never Forgive me if i said i liked anyone other than the raiders. Who this season are also garbage so i spose they tie in with my underdog thing!

i was thinking of the jaguars because of the jags connection too - also with it being probable that they become the london franchise, i guess makes them the local team.

have to say, really fallen on my feet picking the seahawks at the start of this season. now top odds to win the superbowl, and totally romped the 2nd best NFC team last night... silly me got the days wrong and missed the game though which sucks but there ya go... will really start to believe if we can beat the 49ers on sunday, now that they seem to be getting into a winning streak. id really like it if seahawks could play a part in them not getting a wildcard entry into the playoffs :D be interestingto see if wilson can hold his nerve V Kapernick (sp)

Edited by mrD

Hmmmmm. The acid test for the Seahawks will, as you allude to, be Sunday's big match-up against the boys in red'n'gold. This being the business end of the regular season, becomes the bit where the pedigree 49ers kick on and assert themselves I reckon. I do fear your optimism, whilst understandable - and based on a cracking season thus far - is about to be severely tested.

Nevertheless, a close and hard fought battle awaits us. Niners by 5 points!

Hmmmmm. The acid test for the Seahawks will, as you allude to, be Sunday's big match-up against the boys in red'n'gold. This being the business end of the regular season, becomes the bit where the pedigree 49ers kick on and assert themselves I reckon. I do fear your optimism, whilst understandable - and based on a cracking season thus far - is about to be severely tested.

Nevertheless, a close and hard fought battle awaits us. Niners by 5 points!

It's crazy how excited about this match i am. Becomming seahawks and gridiron obsessed - once one tunes into gridiron i think most people would think that it gives soccer a run for its money in terms of excitement. Already thinking of tuning into CFL once the superbowl is done, just to maintain a regular fix of it...

Edited by mrD

Liking your avatar, Mr D. I might be a bit out here, but I think the CFL is a bit different from the NFL in terms of rules; eg 3 downs, different pitch dimensions and I think it's 12 a side.

I know what you mean about getting the NFL bug: I was smitten around 1986, and we had a team here in Blackpool - the. Fylde Falcons - for whom I made a few appearances as a linebacker! Sorry for bragging, but I wasn't very good tbh.