Best And Worst Moments Following The Jags

The Cup

The worst moments were being relegation candidates under Tommy Bryce in the old Second Division. Going down to the fourth tier was a dismal prospect.

Then John Lambie came back in and we were back in the SPL in two years. The promotions under Lambie are second to the 71 Cup Final, obviously the best moment. The third best moment was promotion this year.

ETA - the relegations under Britton/Whyte and Dick Campbell were the second and third worst moments.

I'd like to add another 'worst moment' for those of a certain age. Partick Thistle 2 Hibernian 10. Can never forget! I believe that in modern times no club in the top league has ever before or since lost ten goals at home !

Not by any means the worst (a particular trip to a gubbing at a sleet-ridden Raydale springs to mind), and not really the best either, but certainly one that sticks in the memory, perhaps because it had the elements of both the best and the worst in one game:

Jags 3 Gretna 3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/4429968.stm

I'd like to add another 'worst moment' for those of a certain age. Partick Thistle 2 Hibernian 10. Can never forget! I believe that in modern times no club in the top league has ever before or since lost ten goals at home !

Although the year before we did a pretty good impression of it away from home: a 10-1 defeat against Dunfermline!

Not by any means the worst (a particular trip to a gubbing at a sleet-ridden Raydale springs to mind), and not really the best either, but certainly one that sticks in the memory, perhaps because it had the elements of both the best and the worst in one game:

Jags 3 Gretna 3

http://news.bbc.co.u...v_1/4429968.stm

I remember that game. I think we all thought that McConalogue's goal was a consolation, then when Gibson's went in we hoped that something might happen, and then it did. I can't remember the Dorrans goal - it wasn't the overhead kick was it?

I remember that game. I think we all thought that McConalogue's goal was a consolation, then when Gibson's went in we hoped that something might happen, and then it did. I can't remember the Dorrans goal - it wasn't the overhead kick was it?

Look at the attendance for that game - over 3,500!!!

I was a ballboy for that game. 5-0 at half-time. I heard the half-time talk by Willie Thornton. He was raging and demanded a huge fightback. Within a few minutes we had pulled two goals back and I thought we might do it. Alas Hibs got another five.

To me it wasn't as bad as the Ayr United game and Billy MacDonald's short pass. In all my time up till then we had never been down to the third level. I was leaving the ground that day when a student phoned me on my mobile to ask what was coming up in his exams. He was given quite a few expletives, said he didn't understand, so he got them again.

I remember a game at Tannadice where we were 3-0 down after only about 15 mins. We were late getting into the game and it was 3-0. Final score was 5-0 think. A great one was the 5-3 game where we beat St Johnstone to move onto the 71 league cup semi against Falkirk.

You mean 5-1 vs. St Johnstone. That was indeed a magical attacking performance, which really set us up for the semi then the final.

The Dundee Utd and Ayr Utd games will take some beating, and I'll be happy if I never experience the likes of those again.

One other horrible one (but not on the same scale) was my first, and only, visit to Cliftonhill. It must have been in the early / mid eighties, when the likes of John Flood were playing for us. We were 2 up within 10 minutes and although Albion Rovers pegged us back level, it was soon 4-2 to the Jags, and just a question of many we'd win by. Needless to say, we lost 5-4.

It was cold, gloomy, wet and dark. Not being from Coatbridge, I don't know if that's what it's like all year round, but I never risked finding out by returning .....

The Dundee Utd and Ayr Utd games will take some beating, and I'll be happy if I never experience the likes of those again.

One other horrible one (but not on the same scale) was my first, and only, visit to Cliftonhill. It must have been in the early / mid eighties, when the likes of John Flood were playing for us. We were 2 up within 10 minutes and although Albion Rovers pegged us back level, it was soon 4-2 to the Jags, and just a question of many we'd win by. Needless to say, we lost 5-4.

It was cold, gloomy, wet and dark. Not being from Coatbridge, I don't know if that's what it's like all year round, but I never risked finding out by returning .....

That sounds rough! No memory of it, so I checked it out. Season 89-90, and a hat-trick for John Flood, but as you stated, 5-4 for Rovers! Gerry McCoy scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 demolition of them earlier in the season at Firhill, and the final game against them that season (teams played each other three times!) ended up 2-2, scorers Flood and Charnley. Some quite decent home crowds that season: 5,301 vs Airdrie, 8679 vs. Falkirk, 6021 vs. Hamilton, and 5,300 vs. St Johnstone, who went on to win the league (we ended up 8th).

Edited by Jaggernaut

best. my cousin be signed by Benny Rooney.

worst. my cousin quiting because Rooney would not give him a game.

otherwise semi final and Houstons goal being disallowed and that lot winning the replay

best will always be the league cup final until this lot top that

Edited by Dug1e