Derek Riodan

Partick75

I would take him on a short deal or pay as you play. What can we lose? We all agree we are struggling to score so why turn down a chance with a striker with bags of experience who has scored plenty SPL goals. The guy is at last chance saloon now so he may actually try and impress. I agree his attitude may not be idealistic but beggars cant be choosers. His goal scoring record cant be worse than Baird's and he makes an appearance almost every game.

The article was obviously prompted by Riordan and given that he's not short of a bob or two (unless it's all gone up his nose)it would indicate a desire to play and I think it would be worth a punt with the proviso he is instructed to talk to the young players in particular about how to avoid the pitfalls that ruined his career.

The article was obviously prompted by Riordan and given that he's not short of a bob or two (unless it's all gone up his nose)it would indicate a desire to play

Surely a 'desire to play' would involve him proving he is of relevant standard to perform at Scottish Premiership level by firstly plying his trade at a smaller, lower-league team, as opposed to whoring himself to tabloid rags to get himself noticed by a bigger team - in other words the lazy route that he's been so accustomed to.

I think it would be worth a punt with the proviso he is instructed to talk to the young players in particular about how to avoid the pitfalls that ruined his career.

It would help first of all if he himself had learned of these very pitfalls before preaching to aspiring young players about the same thing. This is just over a year ago with the last Scottish team whose generosity (read gullability) led them to offer him a contract: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/st-johnstone-footballer-derek-riordan-877370

The man is a multiple reject for a reason. He is no upgrade on what we already have, and that includes even the much derided John Baird.

• Like 1

Thank Christ we have Archie in charge and not the knicker wetters on here that would advocate signing a player that has been disruptive at every club he has played at ...and also has been incapable of scoring anything near the level he is capable of for at least 3 years now. Football is about so much more than what you did 5-10 years ago.

Christ almighty he hasn't kicked a ball for nearly a year despite every club in Scotland crying out for a goalscorer, doesn't that tell you all something about his 'value' to football?

His mate Ian Murray is managing Dumbarton. Riordan was on trial there but was not offered a deal.

Now when his mate won't even offer him a deal at a part time outfit I think we can safely assume that he wouldn't be of any use to us.

As said already, thank god we have Archie in charge and not some panic merchant who would bring in Novo or Riordan based on what they did 10 years ago.

The guy has barely kicked a ball for 2 years, he has hardly scored at all for years, hasn't been proven at 'this level' for years, is still banned from every nightclub in Edinburgh, was release by St Johnstone for being pish and disruptive and is widely ragrded as one of the biggest bawbags in football.

Even if he was likely to score 15 goals it would be touch and go whether he should be signed given the age of our squad and their professional attitude thus far. But he won't score any goals.

Can people please STFU about him. Thanks.

Excuse the cliche but Riordan is very much in the last chance saloon. If a team gives him another chance and he screws it up again, he may as well retire. But his footballing ability is beyond question, in my opinion; a tremendously talented player. Haven't some of our best players in history been flawed geniuses? Although I appear to be in the minority, I happen to think Riordan could maybe just be a typical Thistle player.

His mate Ian Murray is managing Dumbarton. Riordan was on trial there but was not offered a deal.

Now when his mate won't even offer him a deal at a part time outfit I think we can safely assume that he wouldn't be of any use to us.

As said already, thank god we have Archie in charge and not some panic merchant who would bring in Novo or Riordan based on what they did 10 years ago.

This.

Excuse the cliche but Riordan is very much in the last chance saloon. If a team gives him another chance and he screws it up again, he may as well retire. But his footballing ability is beyond question, in my opinion; a tremendously talented player. Haven't some of our best players in history been flawed geniuses? Although I appear to be in the minority, I happen to think Riordan could maybe just be a typical Thistle player.

No a typical Thistle player is one who is brilliant one minute and hoepless the next. A typical Thistle player is not a trouble maker and a waster. Sure we've had one or two in our time but they don't last long.

He was in last chance saloon 2 years ago and blew it, he now can't be bothered going to play for a 1st Division club this season, proving he can still cut it and then getting an SPL deal next season. As a result of being a total ****** he has no genius left, it's all been transferred into monumental flaws.