Thistle V Celtic - The Actual Game

The Sunnylaw Jag

We're going to have to alter our style of play on Sunday or we will lose. Not being negative, but the possessional tactic waiting on other team to make a mistake before bursting forward, simply won't work. Seen Celtic a few times, and the one thing that differs between them and everyone else is they press very high up the park. Casual passing between our defence won't be allowed like it has against every team outwith Aberdeen. Ross County caused us a lot of problems when they pressed high, but it's a difficult thing to keep up the hard work of pressing defenders. Hopefully their exploits last night will have them sit a little deeper but can't see it - 5 days to recover is plenty.

The question is what tactic to adopt? I don't think we are a team that can sit in and absorb all the pressure, we are a team that relies on the attack. A key part of success will be if our forward four manage to keep the ball in the Celtic half for decent amounts of time. Usually it's our defence in possession then a quick pass through midfield for a counter attack. Thinking about it, I'm not sure there is another way this team can play? Discussed there not being plan B's in games but perhaps it's just our team can only play this certain way. If we work as a unit and take advantage of Celtic probably thinking they will walk through this game then I think we could do well. Long ballls won't work, Celtic seem to keep a very stagnent back line in the league so the diagonal ball through the defence could work well - the type of thing Craigen is excellent at.

Personally, Bannigan would be on the bench for me in this game, everyone will have to work 100% and in the last 6/7 games I feel he hasn't - as well as countless slack passing and not back tracking. Really feel Forbes should get a shot, he always impresses me and is someone I think could actually take on Celtic. But I can't see Archie dropping Bannigan, this is his chance to prove he is good enough to play at a higher level. In that regards it will probably be the same team as last week.

For Celtic, Mulgrew is a great player and we will really need to watch him, hopefully he is at centre back where he can dictate less of the action. The rest of their team, outwith Brown who does his job well, isn't anything too special. Don't see any reason why we can't match them man for man, if everyone digs deep, but Fraser Foster will take some beating.

Anyway, the closer it comes the more positive I feel, and if last season is anything to go by, Celtic are prone to dropping points after winning in Europe.

That's an excellent analysis and preview. But I'd disagree with your view on Bannigan; after a few slip-ups early on at Inverness (which was true of several players), I thought he came on to a great game, and he played a crucial role in the build-up to both goals. So he should start. I'm not against Forbes coming on if necessary, but I also think that Elliott brings renewed vigour and pace each time he comes on.

ETA: Just corrected "games" to "goals" !

Edited by Jaggernaut

Any idea when McMillan should return to the squad? I agree that Gallagher is good cover however, for a game as big as this (crowd and pride) I would want a full strength squad. Gabbys only played about 3 first team games so I would be worried for him playing against the best team in the league.

Any idea when McMillan should return to the squad? I agree that Gallagher is good cover however, for a game as big as this (crowd and pride) I would want a full strength squad. Gabbys only played about 3 first team games so I would be worried for him playing against the best team in the league.

I guess McMillan would've had 45 mins for the Under 20s if he was being considered for Sunday.

Have we signed a 'dud' in McMillan. We are almost in November and he is STILL injured! Obviously he is very unlucky, but maybe we should release him and create space for another player.

No history of injuries as far as I know. I rate him very highly but I know many others have reservations. It's probably a case of taking no risk (like we had with SOD last season). With Jordan on the bench you can have a couple more attacking options.

Going to be very hard but with Celtic playing in the champions league midweek it’s the best time to get them. Whatever happens it’s a great learning experience for our players. No changes from last week unless there are injuries.

I think we have been good defensively this season – however there are two things we need to tighten up on. We need to deal with cross balls better, no doubt other teams will have noticed this and with Aberdeen and Celtic coming up I think it’s odds on again that we concede from set plays. Both Muirhead and Balatoni and have coped well with this league but neither have proved to be dominate in the air. Muirhead looks convincing when going for an unchallenged header but loses out most times challenging another player.

The other area needing to be worked on is getting blocks on shots on goal. Everybody was taking about the inverness disallowed goal from a corner but watch Bannigan's effort to get a block on the shot.

If we can tighten up on these areas and get more goals in the team then a top six finish could be a reality at the end of the season. Something that would be remarkable for such a young newly promoted team.

Edited by Alan Murray

Have we signed a 'dud' in McMillan. We are almost in November and he is STILL injured! Obviously he is very unlucky, but maybe we should release him and create space for another player.

McMillan was ill and then picked up an injury in training. In his ICT preview, Archie said that "he's back in full training now but has still a bit of catching up to do". He could be on the bench against Celtic but may need a game or two as an over-age player for the U20s.

What are people's thoughts on O'Donnell so far? Personally I have no problem at all with him being in the starting 11 at the moment, but I do feel he hasn't really excelled at this level. His final balls into the box are a bit of a nightmare and I think he seems to lack confidence. However, defensively I think he is doing a good job. Compared this to Sinclair, who I think has been absolutely great so far, getting up and down the wing, and actually being effective. I've said before I think it is because he now passes rather than crosses in the final third - if you can't do something then don't do it kind of thing.

Anyway, when McMillan is fit and ready, would anyone swap him for O'Donnell? See how he does? I think McMillan could be a better option than O'Donnell from what I've seen so far. Very good range of passing, fast, gets stuck in and can hit the by-line. Obviously, O'Donnell on top form is a great right back but it has been a long while (when he got injured) since I would say he was on top form.

O'Donnell could well have been MotM in a couple of games recently. As said before I don't judge full backs by the quality of their final ball.

I worry more about ATS getting injured but that's about lack of cover. Both full backs have been immense this season so far and are constantly the two players that opposition fans are talking about after a game.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

O'Donnell could well have been MotM in a couple of games recently. As said before I don't judge full backs by the quality of their final ball.

I worry more about ATS getting injured but that's about lack of cover. Both full backs have been immense this season so far and are constantly the two players that opposition fans are talking about after a game.

Would happily slot Bannigan in at LB, we have enough good cover at CM for that not to be a problem & Bannigan probably has been the weakest link for the last wee while in terms of performance (probably because he's playing further forward than his best position, imo).

Would happily slot Bannigan in at LB, we have enough good cover at CM for that not to be a problem & Bannigan probably has been the weakest link for the last wee while in terms of performance (probably because he's playing further forward than his best position, imo).

Bannigan would most likely go to left back. He did well there before even keeping Sinclair out the team. Just been a bit concerned by Stuart's poorish tackling of late, rather uncommitted in my view.

What are people's thoughts on O'Donnell so far? Personally I have no problem at all with him being in the starting 11 at the moment, but I do feel he hasn't really excelled at this level. His final balls into the box are a bit of a nightmare and I think he seems to lack confidence. However, defensively I think he is doing a good job. Compared this to Sinclair, who I think has been absolutely great so far, getting up and down the wing, and actually being effective. I've said before I think it is because he now passes rather than crosses in the final third - if you can't do something then don't do it kind of thing.

Anyway, when McMillan is fit and ready, would anyone swap him for O'Donnell? See how he does? I think McMillan could be a better option than O'Donnell from what I've seen so far. Very good range of passing, fast, gets stuck in and can hit the by-line. Obviously, O'Donnell on top form is a great right back but it has been a long while (when he got injured) since I would say he was on top form.

FFS O'Donnell has turned in a few MotM performances lately , I'm beginning to wonder what some people expect of our players. I hope they don't read some of the comments on here or they will be off sharpish! Sometimes I wonder if I'm reading a Rangers forum, with some of the level of delusion about here. You honestly can't satisfy some folk.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 2

The one thing I can see us lacking at home this season, is a bit of an option through the middle of the park. When teams press high up the pitch against our full backs, we struggle to find a way to pass through the centre of midfield. This is where I think Forbes might make a difference in a home game. He tends to sit in that space and look for a pass, which might draw the opposition back infield and allow our full backs the chance to get higher up and find space.

So far, we've got an option in the likes of Osbourne or Welsh (deeper), or Craigen/Lawless (higher up the park). Not a bad thing, but it can be tough to get round teams that press so high up without being able to move the ball back into the centre.

That said, I don't think you can change a team that got such a great result last weekend, so I'm happy to wait for the chance to see if that works.

Off at a tangent but my question isn't worth starting a new thread for.

Does anyone know the closest pub(s) to the ground which allow children and what time they open on Sunday?

Munn's lets kids in (used to anyway). Woody is always ok for kids. The Aitken Suite is good as well if you get in early.