Aberdeen V Partick Thistle, Monday 4 November

jagfox

For what it's worth, Banzo on an off day for me over Forbes.

That would be fine if Banzo was verging on world class, but he's not. And he really was poor tonight. The first 2 goals are as much his as the goals conceded at home to Aberdeen were Gabriel's. But more worrying for me was the negativity in his midfield play. He rarely turned towards goal when the ball was played to him; 9 out of 10, he laid it off backwards or to the side, and often poorly. Earlier in the season Archie was singing his praises regarding his professionalism and attitude, and quite rightly so, but he may need rested or re-focused somehow as he is just not playing to his own standards right now.

• Like 3

Wasn't the worst I've seen us play but again individual errors are costing us badly.

Bannigan and Welsh have been poor for a few weeks now. I can see why there is more loyalty shown to these two compared to guys like Piccolo/Baird but I think one of them could be doing with some time on the bench.

I think Welsh is one of our best players when he's at his peak but at the moment it just isn't working. Both he and Bannigan are playing far too deep, almost to the point where we have 3 sitting midfielders. Osbourne is easily capable of playing there by himself (especially at home) which would release more players to help support Doolan.

McInnes obviously has our number, it's up to Archie now to figure out how to get the best out of his squad.

If guys like Forbes, Lawless etc are fustrated at not getting game time then if they get a chance they need to grab it.

Positives were Higgy & Craigan plus Piccolo definitely showed some signs of promise.

Dons fans greeting that Fox let in 4 goals and Langfield kept another clean sheet is laughable. Pretty sure Foxy would have kept a clean sheet playing for Aberdeen tonight, also pretty sure Langfield wouldn't have got near the save Fox had from Zola.

Anyway, another learning curve for our young team. Learn from our mistakes, move on.

I think Welsh is one of our best players when he's at his peak but at the moment it just isn't working. Both he and Bannigan are playing far too deep, almost to the point where we have 3 sitting midfielders. Osbourne is easily capable of playing there by himself (especially at home) which would release more players to help support Doolan.

McInnes obviously has our number, it's up to Archie now to figure out how to get the best out of his squad.

Agree with that.McInnes has us sussed out. Our current midfield aren't getting into the box enough.We are almost soley relying on Doolan for goals and that's not going to work.Don't quite know if its maybe that Welsh isn't at full fittness yet and Bannigan is looking jaded.Dont think he's been the same since the Scotland U21 games.Another bunch of very poor goals to lose again.We need to be a bit more adaptable in our shapeand style for certain situations and games.

OT slightly, but I've been wondering lately if we should be playing with 3 at the back? It might give us some extra defensive protection, without disrupting our play going forward.

A 3-4-3 formation might make the most if what we have.

The formation we play allows both full backs to get forward, playing three at the back would stifle this.

However, although our strength is our full backs, unfortunately when teams realise this (like Aberdeen) and stop them getting forward we have no plan B, so maybe switching to a 3-4-3 would be an idea. When we played St Mirren away they played a narrow midfield against us. In the first half we battered them, they changed it in the second half and came in to the game.

I think the formation we play suits us in some games but we need to learn to change it when we have to. Last night for example, Higgy was pushed forward more in second half and we were a lot more effective.

The formation we play allows both full backs to get forward, playing three at the back would stifle this.

However, although our strength is our full backs, unfortunately when teams realise this (like Aberdeen) and stop them getting forward we have no plan B, so maybe switching to a 3-4-3 would be an idea. When we played St Mirren away they played a narrow midfield against us. In the first half we battered them, they changed it in the second half and came in to the game.

I think the formation we play suits us in some games but we need to learn to change it when we have to. Last night for example, Higgy was pushed forward more in second half and we were a lot more effective.

I feel that, done correctly, it could allow the fullbacks to press further up with the knowledge that there's an extra player covering the space behind, but that may be TOO attack minded...

I definitely think we could try it against the better teams in the league, as it would become a 5-man defence if necessary - as I think I your point.

Would also depend I how the opposition was set up - no point having 3 centre halves playing against a lone striker.

Still... I'd like to see it tried - might allow us a clean sheet or two!

Edited by cleveland steamer

We need big changes at the weekend.. Bannigan and Welsh need to sit it out they have totally lost their confidence and need a spell on the bench. We are lucky at the moment that St Mirren Killie and Hearts are so bad but we are only about another 2 or 3 losses away from our season looking real bad. Must win on Saturday to kick us on

No need to panic.

1st goal was a soft free kick, Banzo should've 'taken one for the team' mind...

Didn't play badly - we played badly against them at Firhill. This was better despite the score. As said elsewhere on this thread, I think one of Welsh / Bannigan needs a 'rest'. We're too defensive. Welsh is the captain, so probably Bannigan to go for me. Welsh in with Ozzy & Forbes / Lawless coming in. We need to have a go at St Mirren - we ripped them to threads in Paisley & need to start like that on Saturday. They're dreadful but got a lucky goal last time. If we score first with the right tempo, we can get 5, no problem.

Mon the Jags!

I go along with GPT: we didn't play all that badly, but got posted missing in defence a couple of times, and made far too few clear-cut chances.

Is this a nutty idea?: Big Aaron Muirhead occasionally goes on a pretty good run through the centre. Apart from Osbourne, I reckon we get pushed off the ball too often in midfield. So how about Gabriel and Conrad in central defence, and Muirhead moved further forward to mop up and help boss the centre of the park, with Osbourne?

• Like 1

We got Aberdeen on the wrong night – they were superb. Don’t think we played too badly; we were unlucky not to get a goal.

Archie does now need the read the riot act on getting blocks on shots. Bannigan's effort in the wall was pathetic and he is a repeat offender. Welsh made little or no effort in preventing Michael Hector’s shot for the third goal. We can’t continue to do this.

Higginbotham again played well and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet.

Bannigan has of course being playing a more attacking role this season and I always thought he would be suited by this. The problem with him is he is playing like a sitting midfield player rather than an attacking player. He needs to be more direct and try to drive with the ball into the box. Going to be interesting to see if he keeps his place on Saturday.

Don’t know what is going on with Welsh – started the season well but has fallen away. One more performance like that and it’s the bench for him imo.

The defensive mistakes have already been covered in detail in posts before me but I don’t think we should be too hard on them. We have very little experience at this level and players are still learning.

Piccolo I feel did not have a bad game. He has been unlucky in the games he has played in have been against top opposition. I do feel that it would be good to get him out on loan if we get another centre back in the window.

Massive game on Saturday!

Edited by Alan Murray

I go along with GPT: we didn't play all that badly, but got posted missing in defence a couple of times, and made far too few clear-cut chances.

Is this a nutty idea?: Big Aaron Muirhead occasionally goes on a pretty good run through the centre. Apart from Osbourne, I reckon we get pushed off the ball too often in midfield. So how about Gabriel and Conrad in central defence, and Muirhead moved further forward to mop up and help boss the centre of the park, with Osbourne?

Yes! We need a good passer of the ball next to Osbourne to give us the right balance.

Would like Archie to keep the same team as much as possible and not react to the odd bad game.

Could have been a wee bit different if we had been given a penalty about 20 mins in I think, Higgy fouled in the box when we were in the driving seat but hey ho ! no big train smash , better performance this time than last and met a very good side on a run , Aberdeen look like 'tic's only serious threat so being beaten by them with 3 excellent goals by the way , is no disgrace . Zola pushed , pulled and pummeled all night , claimed everything , and has gone way down in my estimation of him , no footballer , just a big barger !!

If we continue the way we are going it will be bad

You're right, it's not great form by any standard. We're fortunate that a few teams below us are having a truly dismal time at the moment, and we have to do our part to make sure that continues.

Having said that, many people expected us to get nothing out of our last three matches, yet we came away from Inverness with 3 points. Somehow if we'd drawn those three games so ended up with same number of points a lot of people would be feeling much more positive.

FWIW, a few Dons fans I spoke to after the game said that so far we are the only team that hasn't come and parked the bus. Whilst I don't like shipping four goals - it should be no surprise to anyone that watched St J in the old first that a McInnes side would be hard to score against and clinical in their finish - I'm pleased that we played our game. The possession stats suggest that our mid wasn't as bad as is being suggested, we did test Langfield and Higginbotham almost made him look a bit of donkey with that long shot from the re-start. Could've have been different going in at half time as well had Gabri got his shot on target early on. Don't know why he didn't take any of the free kicks, he has a powerful shot.

• Like 2

If we continue the way we are going it will be bad

For goodness sake, we've really got to be realistic about what our side can achieve. As Archie has said time and time again our priority is survival and I think we'll do that.

Of course it sucks to get beat, but as a Jags suppporter I'm afraid its an occupational hazard, which isn't going to change anytime soon. The real test is not losing, but how the side react to losing .

So far we've reacted generally positively to defeat, if the suppoters get behind the side again I;m confident we'll beat St Mirren, in fact I'll go further and say this could well be the day when we finally give a side a real doing.

• Like 4

FWIW, a few Dons fans I spoke to after the game said that so far we are the only team that hasn't come and parked the bus. Whilst I don't like shipping four goals - it should be no surprise to anyone that watched St J in the old first that a McInnes side would be hard to score against and clinical in their finish - I'm pleased that we played our game. The possession stats suggest that our mid wasn't as bad as is being suggested, we did test Langfield and Higginbotham almost made him look a bit of donkey with that long shot from the re-start. Could've have been different going in at half time as well had Gabri got his shot on target early on. Don't know why he didn't take any of the free kicks, he has a powerful shot.

We are only playing with one upfront if that's not parking the bus I don't know what is, It's all fine and dandy playing good football but look were that has got St mirren the last few seasons? I think we need two up front because neither Baird or Doolan are suited to play the loan striker role. Also the midfield need to start chipping in with goals too