January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

Stevie Craig has only had 5 appearances and managed 1 goal for League 2 Wycombe. If we were moving for a guy with that recent pedigree would people on this board be keen? I doubt it.

Doolz is 5th (equal) top scorer in the SPFL Premiership (i.e. in the top 9 goal scorers):

http://espnfc.com/stats/scorers/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

He also appears in the "assists" table:

http://espnfc.com/stats/assists/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

I think that's a pretty good contribution for a guy who has less top level experience than anyone else in that top 9 scorers bar Stevie May, yet there appear to be some who think he is hopeless. Hard to fathom.

I am not saying that Craig should have been kept and started in place of Doolan whose goals have contributed a fair number of our points so far. My post was about Craig vs Baird and Dowie vs Piccolo and which of these would contribute more to the team

So far as I remember Archie said that we would be back in for the unidentified England based striker who wanted to wait until the English transfer window closed (24 hours later) for a preferred move to an English based club that didn't materialise.

Couldn't we get him already if he's a free agent? Maybe he's with another club?

Ah, I get it: he's probably with the club he was already at, or else has gone to some other club. I wonder who it is.....

If that's the case, perhaps it was Alan Gow after all but I have my doubts on that one.

Lee Miller, another name mentioned on an earlier thread, seems settled in Carlisle.

I'm pretty sure the one waiting for something else was Alan Gow. It was obviously a money led decision, trying to get a league 1 club perhaps. Exeter are going well and Gow playing every week in advanced midfield scoring 3 goals. I'd like him but not in expense of a proper striker or central defender. Doubt Exeter would just let him walk away either.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not about bringing new players .it’s about identifying the requirement of the Scottish game and developing the resources you have available. The game in Scotland is all about wing play taking the ball to the deadline and crossing it in for the big striker to either score himself or knock it down for Dools to score. My suggestion if the is no one in our young successful reserves to fill this roll would be Piccolo, for to be fair and I think Gabriel would agree with me in this is not a central defender. Three or four passes max. The only time a midfielder needs the ball is when the jags are two / three goals ahead and were only playing for fun and ripping the urine. No one want to see a slow patient passing build up, football is and always be about one thing just get the ball in the net.

23's not really one for the future in this day and age. Our back line - for example - are 21, 23, 22, 22.

As strikers go he is still young IMO,most strikers are at the top of their game mid twenties! Anyone in Scotland with a goal average 50/100 games has got to be on our radar,don't fancy alan gow much either, a striker who has kicked about for years and looked good with little end product.

As Scully's loan at EEP has been extended, it's likely that Basalaj's deal will be extended too.

Good re Scully. He's having a fine season and it would seem a backward move bringing him back as a third choice keeper. I'm sure now that Gallacher will see the season out. I thought he might have returned to E End Pk with Scully being recalled. While it's ideal for us to have a class keeper as back up and doubling as goalie coach I wonder if Gallacher still feels he should be playing regular football. It can't be easy for any goalie knowing that only injury to the first choice will give him a chance of getting a game.

I was feeling quite optimistic about January as players would have been watching the results and style of football and thinking I could do a job there, fit in well, play good football and improve my profile - even if the wages are not as great as they could potentially get elsewhere.

Now I have to say who would want to come, fair enough it's the top league in Scotland and we haven't forgot how to pass or become a terrible side overnight, although shipping goals for fun and not getting near the opposition goal could have a few potential signings looking around elsewhere or opting to stick where they are.

Not all doom and gloom but I do think we would have attracted a lot more players with our first quarter, lets hope deals are already in place or people now think I could help get things back on track.

Archie did have funds for at least one player with plans (I hope) for at least one more in January so fingers crossed we do get some new blood with experience to bolster the squad.

Edited by sb1876

Players needed in every position except for goalkeeper.

That's perhaps a slight exaggeration but far more to the point than those who feel we're weak in just one particular area. We play the game within our budget. So I've got a feeling that any strengthening of the squad will be more down to who we can bring in that's value for money rather than filling one priority position. If however we were to lose Taylor-Sinclair in January then filling his position would be of utmost priority. That would imo be the only real exception. Otherwise the one player we can afford to bring in could be to fill in any number of positions