January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

That's perhaps a slight exaggeration but far more to the point than those who feel we're weak in just one particular area. We play the game within our budget. So I've got a feeling that any strengthening of the squad will be more down to who we can bring in that's value for money rather than filling one priority position. If however we were to lose Taylor-Sinclair in January then filling his position would be of utmost priority. That would imo be the only real exception. Otherwise the one player we can afford to bring in could be to fill in any number of positions

We don't need starters everywhere, but we need at least cover. The bench today, threadbare outwith Lawless.

A Jim Duffy / Gordon Rae character for the back to pull the defense together is essential

Even removing my rose tinted specs, this is a good idea. An old, experienced warhorse. I don't think too much is needed in addition, a tweaking of the tactics for sure. I'm not even sure anther striker is needed if tactics are reviewed and confidence returns, and a gritty centre half is added.

Confident that both Muirhead and Balatoni will come good. Both are having problems matching the movement of the better players at this level but they will learn.

I said at the start of the season that we should bring in an experienced centre back. It’s not easy to bring in the right person on our budget so it’s going to be even harder in the January window.

• Like 1

Confident that both Muirhead and Balatoni will come good. Both are having problems matching the movement of the better players at this level but they will learn.

I said at the start of the season that we should bring in an experienced centre back. It’s not easy to bring in the right person on our budget so it’s going to be even harder in the January window.

Exactly! There were several of us who were arguing for an experienced central defender to be added to the squad. We were told by the know-it-alls on here that McMillan, Piccolo and even Osborne were sufficient cover. Can you imagine how lightweight our midfield would be with Osborne in central defence?

Exactly! There were several of us who were arguing for an experienced central defender to be added to the squad. We were told by the know-it-alls on here that McMillan, Piccolo and even Osborne were sufficient cover. Can you imagine how lightweight our midfield would be with Osborne in central defence?

Well I've always thought (and mentioned elsewhere) a left sided central defender would be a priority. That said I can understand other points of view when they maybe prioritise other positions further up the field. Archie apparently (from jagscast's summary) is more concerned about the defence. I don't think the lack of cover is the main issue more the actual form of our first choice central defenders.

btw are the know-it-alls you mention folk that regularly attend games? Or posters who rely on third party information and the odd TV/video coverage?

• Like 2

Rumour going around last night that we have four players due to sign in January. If true I would assume we will be losing one or two of the younget lads and perhaps see the likes of Kerr and Baird getting loaned out?

When does the deal on Henoc Mukendi end? Has everyone forgot about Hugh Murray?? I could see Shug Murray getting released in January, definitely not going to get in to the current squad and would free up same decent wages

When does the deal on Henoc Mukendi end? Has everyone forgot about Hugh Murray?? I could see Shug Murray getting released in January, definitely not going to get in to the current squad and would free up same decent wages

I don't believe losing the two mentioned will free up much money.Shug would no doubt have to be bought out of his contract and it's been strongly hinted Mukendi was a freebie. Shug having his loan spell extended and remaining at Dumbarton would probably.be the better option.

31st December or 1st January IIRC.

I don't believe losing the two mentioned will free up much money.Shug would no doubt have to be bought out of his contract and it's been strongly hinted Mukendi was a freebie. Shug having his loan spell extended and remaining at Dumbarton would probably.be the better option.

A termination settlement, i.e. a lump sum, would probably be cheaper (tax free?). Similar deals have been done in the past, e.g. David Rowson last season. Murray is a regular starter in the Dumbarton team so it's likely that he and the club would want to extend the deal or secure a permanent move.