Performance Analyst Describes His Role At Firhill.

jagfox

Interesting debate. I guess it is kind of like the argument within the book(and film) Moneyball were a GM in Major League Baseball started recruiting on the back of statistical analysis rather than the traditional scouting method. Of course they are different sports but I assume there will still be trends and attributes that may be better discerned by the new methods?

It won't turn around results overnight but could be worth the expense over the coming months and years, imo.

Interesting that the squad get issued with DVDs of their performance. Hopefully this means we will learn from our mistakes. However set pieces need a lot of work, both defending and attacking these situations.

I think this is a hugely positive thing.

It's great to see the club moving with the times and while John Lambie would never gone for something like this, I think it's a modernisation that is much needed.

The Germans used this kind of thing to great effect before the last World Cup.

It's all very well saying the investment could have gone towards a player who may or may not have been a success, but hopefully this will - over time - result in a general club-wide uplift which will be of far more benefit in short, medium and long-term.

lambies era was videos, dick Campbell never watched videos as he had a photo memory of every game ,

McCall was the same he used to throw videos straight into the bin,

rangers have had a guy doing this for years as Celtic , for instance when they play us they will look at our last game ,

free kicks, corners, set plays and how we set up during the game then on the day before match the guy would tell the players what we do so they have a head start before match days, lots of clubs have it now mostly thru collages etc. . you can do it on the cheep with one camera up to eight

Interesting debate. I guess it is kind of like the argument within the book(and film) Moneyball were a GM in Major League Baseball started recruiting on the back of statistical analysis rather than the traditional scouting method. Of course they are different sports but I assume there will still be trends and attributes that may be better discerned by the new methods?

It won't turn around results overnight but could be worth the expense over the coming months and years, imo.

Interesting that the squad get issued with DVDs of their performance. Hopefully this means we will learn from our mistakes. However set pieces need a lot of work, both defending and attacking these situations.

It's not like Moneyball at all because we aren't using it to identify players to sign (well the article doesn't say that anyway and the analysis is about what our players do rather than the opposition, plus even if we were analysing the opposition we can't sign any players that play against us in the SPFL cause we ain't got no dolla).

This is clearly a useful thing to have and you could argue it is more valuable long term than one additional player. But on the face of it a scouting network would surely be a better use of the funds? There's nothing to stop our management duo watching video of other teams, especially in this league where it is easily available.

• Like 1

Naive question: If all or most clubs are using this kind of technology (and it's somehow better than Jock Stein's pencil drawings), doesn't the advantage simply get cancelled out due to teams taking steps to counter what their opponents did one or two matches ago? And won't the opponents do the same? Etc. Etc.

Naive question: If all or most clubs are using this kind of technology (and it's somehow better than Jock Stein's pencil drawings), doesn't the advantage simply get cancelled out due to teams taking steps to counter what their opponents did one or two matches ago? And won't the opponents do the same? Etc. Etc.

We would surely then fall behind if we were to not have this facility? Either way it can only be beneficial to us.

What i was alluding to in my previous post was that the technology is not an advantage in itself. It has, i guess, been divised to produce an accurate and indisputable descripton of a match as a whole or player's contribution in key disciplines. The information it provides has to be analysed, prioritised, interpreted and then acted on.

Any advantage gained will be down to how a coach or manager views the statistics. For example, the stats may say that a goal came from a move down the left and a cross ball into the box, and note that as a success. But, it may have been a fluke, a deflection or slip from an oppositon player. Or a player might be noted as having covered every blade of grass during the game, however it will still be at the manager's discretion whether or not his effort productive or akin to a heidless chicken.

Computer's don't kill Old Firm....

THISTLE DO! :cool2:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1