Performance Analyst Describes His Role At Firhill.

jagfox

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2013-2014/november_2013/fraser_gorman_-_performance_analyst

Interesting article on ptfc.co.uk, never knew we had implemented this addition to our coaching staff. Good to see the club moving with the times. Plenty of food for thought for Archie and the playing staff. Just as well we have a week or two off.

Hopefully we concoct a plan to stifle DU, and bring a point or three back down the road a week on Saturday :thumbsup2:

Edited by jagfox

I can give Archie and Shaggy similar advice for nothing. Stop conceding stupid goals, get Conrad a non slip version of football boots, get someone into midfield that has an engine and that can score goals and give us another option up front in January. Simples really!

I can give Archie and Shaggy similar advice for nothing. Stop conceding stupid goals, get Conrad a non slip version of football boots, get someone into midfield that has an engine and that can score goals and give us another option up front in January. Simples really!

Are you Alex Ferguson in disguise?

Anyone know what our scouting network is just now? I would've thought that would've been more of a priority than this, particularly as the article itself says this expensive.

Totally agree.

I know science and technology is being used more in football, it probably has its merits. However, in my opinion, this is a luxury we cannot afford. I am assuming the Analyst will be on at least £20k per annum (maybe more) if full time then there is the software and his expenses (e.g. hotel room pre away match) to factor in. We could probably use this money for two part-time scouts or one full time scout. Maybe even another player!

Surely Archie and Paterson have the experience and time (they are both full time and we don't exactly train/play 42 hours a week!) to review footage and watch matches a couple of times over with some slo-mo and replays, it can all be done on a laptop without any fancy software. I would hope they can deduce opposition tactics and strengths etc without the Analyst.

This will sound harsh but, in my opinion, our tactics have been far from great so far this season. We have rarely read the opposition well or cancelled them out or nullified their strengths. So I think this is too much, too quickly for us. The money could be spent more effectively.

Obviously some will say that we may have played poorer this season without the Analyst but we didn't have him last season - who knows.

Edited by mhs
  • Like 1

Was it on MotD last week that I saw a graphic showing "heat-spots" on the pitch where a player had spent most of his time? Pale yellow where he occasionally was, turning to orange where he spent a lot of time, then red for where he spent most time. It actually looked quite neat, but that doesn't mean it would tell managers or fans much more than they might get from other sources.

But if it shows up red where the player spends most time, then Balatoni's arse must be crimson.

• Like 6

I read a story that the late, great Jock Stein used to scout upcoming opposition armed only with a pencil and a sheet of paper. Each time the team he was scouting got the ball he put pencil to paper and followed the path of the ball. At the end of the game the varying intensities of the pencil marks in different directions showed where the team liked to play the ball and how often. We now seem to have an expensive, high tech way of doing essentially the same thing.

I read a story that the late, great Jock Stein used to scout upcoming opposition armed only with a pencil and a sheet of paper. Each time the team he was scouting got the ball he put pencil to paper and followed the path of the ball. At the end of the game the varying intensities of the pencil marks in different directions showed where the team liked to play the ball and how often. We now seem to have an expensive, high tech way of doing essentially the same thing.

Not a game I'm into but I believe the scorer in cricket does something similar. The end diagram is all telling..

Anyone know what our scouting network is just now? I would've thought that would've been more of a priority than this, particularly as the article itself says this expensive.

Archie said at the recent 'Meet the Manager' night that there was no scouting network.

For what it's worth I reckon this should've been the first thing that should've been addressed when we got promoted.

ETA agree with mhs.

Edited by Trotter

Potentially stupid question, how do we identify players to sign if we have no scouts anywhere? For a club who can't buy any first team players from the teams we play against in the SPL it doesn't sound very clever. It's a bit of a gamble building a squad this way by taking punts on players from lower down, the odds must increase if you don't have scouts out watching games. The other source of new players for us will be the youth set up but that is more longer term, thankfully we have landed on our feet with this new academy.

Potentially stupid question, how do we identify players to sign if we have no scouts anywhere? For a club who can't buy any first team players from the teams we play against in the SPL it doesn't sound very clever. It's a bit of a gamble building a squad this way by taking punts on players from lower down, the odds must increase if you don't have scouts out watching games. The other source of new players for us will be the youth set up but that is more longer term, thankfully we have landed on our feet with this new academy.

Bring Boaby Dinnie out of retirement....pronto!

Great story.

Good article and nice to see we are implementing this and for a change, being leaders and not followers. My only criticism of the software is that it doesn't tell you not to publicise it when your team has just had two of it's worst defeats of the season! :)

we could have had this years ago under the prozone scheme but was knocked back by the club as to expensive ,

clubs have had this for years Hamilton had this 5 years ago ,

was wondering if its the same lad.

And cloned

Agreed. Our better players could be given a contractual bonus if they agree to be cryogenically preserved once they approach the Bosman stage of their careers with us. Failing that, they could be nominally rewarded - eg the equivalent of a match win bonus - for making a 'donation' to the club's new state-of-the-art sperm bank.

• Members

we could have had this years ago under the prozone scheme but was knocked back by the club as to expensive ,

clubs have had this for years Hamilton had this 5 years ago ,

was wondering if its the same lad.

Yeah remembered that but couldn't remember what it was called. Was it McCall that wanted to bring it in? And didn't it involve multiple cameras all around the ground? The article does mention he was at Hamilton, so yes, probably the same guy.

Yeah remembered that but couldn't remember what it was called. Was it McCall that wanted to bring it in? And didn't it involve multiple cameras all around the ground? The article does mention he was at Hamilton, so yes, probably the same guy.

2 cameras. One on the bing.

He wanted the trust to pay for it. Aye, nae bother, Ian.

Performance Analyst? I'm kinda thinking that's a bit of a misnomer.

I'm sure Mr.Gorman know's his tech' inside out but "Analyst" suggests to me that he should have some expertise in football, an ability to interpret the information he gathers and provide sound opinion on how to improve our team's perfomance. After reading the article, I'd suggest "Data Compiler" would be a more suitable title. It's certainly laudable that he has experience in plying his trade elsewhere (Hamilton and...? ) and has attempted to improve his skills with Middlesbourgh. But, would it be of benefit to his contribution for him to get a coaching qualification.... perhaps he already does?

I think it is a positive appointment. It should provide the manager and coaches a more accurate and detailed view of the games. However, it is new tool and the manager and his footballing staff have to learn how best to utilise it, control it and develop the potential asset.