What Box Set Do You Recommend?

Rid Skwerr

Sons Of Anarchy

I'm on Season 5 and its just getting better. American motorcycle club running guns and getting in trouble with the IRA, drugs, Russian mafia and small town rumbles. Got that Scottish guy from Braveheart who's girlfriend gets claimed by the Sherrif as prima noctra.

Really great and can't recommend it enough. Game of Thrones comes a close second.

• Like 1

watched the first season and a half of the wire, never really hooked me - very good dialogue and all that but the characters and the story line didnt really grab me. At the moment, my latest obsession is battlestar gallactica reimagined. very intellegent sci-fi that....

i meant mad men. not the wire which is one of the best easily

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - wee update on what we've got from your recommendations so far.

Got the whole of the first series of Sons of Anarchy and watched 5 of them before deciding it wasn't for us.

Just couldn't get to grips with a renegade motorcycle gang who, simultaneously, ran guns and primary school fund-raiser events!

Didn't empathise with the characters much either I'm afraid and the whole thing looked a bit low-budget.

So now we're onto Boardwalk Empire and have watched the first 2 episodes.

It is a much classier production and looks like it's going to be engrossing.....

Hi all - wee update on what we've got from your recommendations so far.

Got the whole of the first series of Sons of Anarchy and watched 5 of them before deciding it wasn't for us.

Just couldn't get to grips with a renegade motorcycle gang who, simultaneously, ran guns and primary school fund-raiser events!

Didn't empathise with the characters much either I'm afraid and the whole thing looked a bit low-budget.

So now we're onto Boardwalk Empire and have watched the first 2 episodes.

It is a much classier production and looks like it's going to be engrossing.....

That's what the biker gangs do.

Very well researched, with the founder of the Hell's Angels, Sonny Barger, as an advisor with a cameo role.

That's what the biker gangs do.

Very well researched, with the founder of the Hell's Angels, Sonny Barger, as an advisor with a cameo role.

Sonny Barger can't be a real Hell's Angel if he's still alive after all this time.... :D

I remember reading Hunter S Thomson's book about the Angels back in the 60's.

Amazed he's still around.

I've not long started Mad Men and I'm hoping it is a slow burner because I just haven't got into yet. So much so that I've started my about 8,000th rewatch of Star Trek the Next Generation from series one (series one is still pants) onwards. I'm nothing if not a geek.

One that I noticed hasn't been mentioned is The Newsroom which should appeal to those that liked The West Wing (not had this year's rewatch of them yet but it will follow even if the first two series I have on VHS). It's written by Aaron Sorkin who, of course, was behind much of The West Wing. It borrows some of the ideas and themes from the, IMO, much under rated Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip which deserved better than being binned midway through its' only season.

• 3 months later...

Ok - digging this one up again since the season is nearly over and we'll need something to do on Saturdays shortly......

Just finished the first 4 seasons of Boardwalk Empire and enjoyed the lot - waiting for the fifth to be made/shown.

Steve Buscemi carries the show along nicely and excels throughout.

It has a few references to real-life characters of the time (apart from the well-known gangsters),like entertainer Eddie Cantor, boxer Jack Dempsey and J Edgar Hoover.

The production is absolute quality from start to finish and I can recommend it.

Whilst waiting to get mitts on "Orange is the new Black", we've started season 2 of The Newsroom.

As mentioned a couple of posts before, it has the look and feel of The West Wing and the writing is top notch.

The dialog is a bit quick-fire, so you have to listen closely to get the details, but one the made me laugh out loud was News Anchor, Jeff Daniels, being berated for upsetting the US right wing

by calling The Tea Party the "American Taliban".

His reply was - "The Taliban resented it"

Clever stuff.

I like 'Eastbound & Down' - if you like daft comedies, it's up there with the best.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is probably the funniest one ever though - so well observed & just hilarious.

Drama-wise, usual suspects - Sopranos, The Wire, The Killing (original), The Bridge (original), 24 (daft, but OK), Homeland (goes on a bit), Mad Men, Geordie Shore...

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of Fargo? Started watching it and it was a bit slow but have to watch the last two episodes still.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

I did find it a bit jarring at the start as I was trying to relate the characters to those in the movie - only to settle down when it was clear that they were only tangentially related (although there is a nice bit at the start of episode 4 (?) which resolves one of the storylines in the movie).

Like a crossover between David Lynch and the Coen brothers with some great casting and performances. The setting and region also add to that slightly abstract feeling.