Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

An 'experienced head' would be a thing of embarrassment for the management team, which isn't something they deserve after last season's contribution. I personally believe we should look for an alternative manager now with Craig Levein being my ideal choice, but it needs to be one or the other between keeping Archibald or replacing him. If he can't do it on his own, he won't be able to do it at all.

I think we need a new manager to come in and look objectively at a team who it's clear Archibald has his favourites in. That players like Elliott and Craigen are starting every week is bizarre, and these constantly unchanged team selections are something that is holding us back. We need someone unfazed by loyalty to the players who won us the league last season in order to cut out the deadwood who aren't up to this league, and replace them with those who are. Like I said, top of my wishlist is Levein who has experience of doing exactly this, and moreover has previous for turning a bog standard relegation candidate like ~2006 Dundee United into top six regulars. I'd love to see us move hell on earth to get him, but have a bad feeling the board and a large section of the fanbase will stick with Archibald no matter what through sheer loyalty, which could be very harmful to the club's medium-long term future and our hopes of top flight longevity.

I really, really hope you are trolling.

I'm not, but feel free to structure a happy-clapping themed retaliation if you wish.

Craig Levein, the worst manager the Scottish national team has ever seen is NOT the answer to any question.

If that makes me a 'happy clapper' then knock yourself out...

• Like 1

Archie should not be sacked. The Celtic game is irrelevant, we need to beat Ross County & at least draw with Hearts. 2 defeats in these matches & then there should be questions asked.

We're in a position we'd have taken at this stage in the season before it started, we're largely playing well & creating chances. As such, I see no reason to change manager.

Craig Levein, the worst manager the Scottish national team has ever seen is NOT the answer to any question.

And yet his club record in Scotland (after all, we are a club :blink: ) is generally exceptional. He would be an outstanding, and potentially revolutionary appointment for the club, and almost certainly an improvement on what we currently have.

Ok count to ten and try to take stock of the situation.

Today was poor beyond belief. Tommy Bryce / Dick Campbell type bad. However I did see us getting a right few humpings under the great Lambie. But today for the first real time this season we were really punished for the individual errors. Motherwell pay in the region of 2, 3 or 4k for players like MCManus, McFadden and Sutton. We have players freed from this team like Forbes and Lawless. There is a gulf in class that a blind man on a galloping horse can see.

It is not as if we created nothing, we simply never converted, the story of our season.

One issue I have is that we seem to want to score the perfect goal, every time. The goal we scored today was class, but it is a 1 in 3 or 4 game goal. We try it 3 or 4 times a game. Not going to happen. SOD was through in the first half and could / should have had a go but chose to cut back in and pass. SHOOT.

January is a big month. Archie needs to wheel and deal a bit. A few wins will restore the faith.

• Like 1

You could just change Archie to Lennon, Johnston, Adams or Locke and this thread would either be appearing at the top of their respective team's forum or would have been there a few weeks ago (or will be appearing in the next few weeks). Football fans, and unfortunately Thistle ones as well, are basically a very fickle and short term bunch. Archie has just about a full season under his belt in terms of number of games and is, of course, going to get some things wrong but without the support and time to rectify these we won't know how good a manager he can be.

It is worthy remembering that there are plenty of people who wanted Jackie punted during his fairly average first season in charge, especially after our failures in the cups, yet he has ended up doing okay. I agree that we need to improve the squad in January and that the Board need to fully back Archie to do that but we need to keep our heads as well, remember that our objective was to finish 10th or better and that Archie is trying to build a structure for our club as well which will be of long term benefit to us.

• Like 2

Leveins record at cowdenbeath was pretty good. At hearts it was average, good at times, shit at other times. At Dundee Utd it was pretty good, but he spent a fortune in wages, then Peter Houston came in and did better job, while cutting costs at the same time.

At no club has he been exceptional. And haven't even mentioned Leicester or the national team. I genuinely have no idea why you've got such a boner for the guy.

Archie's refusal to drop players is unbelievable, He really needs to start being a real manager before he hasn't got a job. 1 win in 15 for christ sake!!!!! People attacking the board it's fk all to do with the board, Archie has brought in SPL experienced players but chosen not to play them. No wonder when Kerr and Baird come on they don't play well. Not match fit and always put on when the game is dead and buried

And yet his club record in Scotland (after all, we are a club :blink: ) is generally exceptional. He would be an outstanding, and potentially revolutionary appointment for the club, and almost certainly an improvement on what we currently have.

This is a manager who decided to play a match without a striker in his starting line up and that says it all for me.

He might do a better job than Archie or he might not but it's a near certainty he would have folk not wanting to go and watch his negative style of football.

I hear a lot comments about Archie having little experience as a manager. Surly it would pay to have a couple of seasoned players on the park to steady the ship and aid the youngsters. Hopefully January might bring a bit of quality we so badly lack at this level.

Archie's refusal to drop players is unbelievable, He really needs to start being a real manager before he hasn't got a job.

Have to agree with that. The subs bench is usually the same every game and we always get Forbes and Baird on with 20 or so minutes to go and they usually replace the same players every week. He needs to shake things up a bit and bring some guys in next month. I would have had Duggan on the bench, when he was fit, even just for the boy to get some experience of match day on the bench. We always seem reluctant to give our home grown boys any time on the pitch, while loads of other teams seem to have no qualms about giving 18/19 year old players regular slots in the first team. Archie needs to toughen up and stop being so loyal to certain players who are not cutting it at this level

Edited by Lindau

Archie's refusal to drop players is unbelievable, He really needs to start being a real manager before he hasn't got a job. 1 win in 15 for christ sake!!!!! People attacking the board it's fk all to do with the board, Archie has brought in SPL experienced players but chosen not to play them. No wonder when Kerr and Baird come on they don't play well. Not match fit and always put on when the game is dead and buried

Drop for who? Forbes, Kerr & Baird aren't interested/not good enough. The one change he's been able to make was bringing Piccolo in & dropping Muirhead/Balatoni. We have limited options, Elliott has been brought in, Lawless dropped & brought back in. He's made as many changes as he can with the limited quality the squad has.

Drop for who? Forbes, Kerr & Baird aren't interested/not good enough. The one change he's been able to make was bringing Piccolo in & dropping Muirhead/Balatoni. We have limited options, Elliott has been brought in, Lawless dropped & brought back in. He's made as many changes as he can with the limited quality the squad has.

How can you possibly say that they are not interested? did they tell you that? and on the limited time they have played I think it's unfair to say not good enough

This is a manager who decided to play a match without a striker in his starting line up and that says it all for me.

He might do a better job than Archie or he might not but it's a near certainty he would have folk not wanting to go and watch his negative style of football.

So Dundee United were a 'negative' side under him, yeah? Frankly I couldn't care less how 'negatively' we were anyway, there's a very dangerous happy-clapping culture surrounding the fans at the moment, and this has the potential to totally destroy the opportunity we have of building a Partick Thistle side centring on top flight longevity a la St Johnstone / Motherwell / Inverness. As long as we can increase the size and profile of the club in the top flight over the foreseeable future, I'm more than happy to kick the pretty pattern pish into the dustbin of history.
  • Like 1

How can you possibly say that they are not interested? did they tell you that? and on the limited time they have played I think it's unfair to say not good enough

Interested/not good enough I said. In the case of Forbes it appears to be a lack of interest as he has some talent. Baird & Kerr are just not good enough on what they've shown, I think you'll find that's a view shared by the majority of supporters.

If you've not played many matches it stands to reason the chance(s) you do get you need to grab with both hands & show you want & deserve a place in the starting XI. This has been severly lacking in Baird & Forbes. Elliott has done well & shown why he should be in the team, that's the attitude required to succeed.

Edited by 1 John Lambie
  • Like 2

So Dundee United were a 'negative' side under him, yeah? Frankly I couldn't care less how 'negatively' we were anyway, there's a very dangerous happy-clapping culture surrounding the fans at the moment, and this has the potential to totally destroy the opportunity we have of building a Partick Thistle side centring on top flight longevity a la St Johnstone / Motherwell / Inverness. As long as we can increase the size and profile of the club in the top flight over the foreseeable future, I'm more than happy to kick the pretty pattern pish into the dustbin of history.

Thank **** we don't go down the fan ownership route. I dread to think what state our club would be in with you in the boardroom.

Leveins record at cowdenbeath was pretty good. At hearts it was average, good at times, shit at other times. At Dundee Utd it was pretty good, but he spent a fortune in wages, then Peter Houston came in and did better job, while cutting costs at the same time.

At no club has he been exceptional. And haven't even mentioned Leicester or the national team. I genuinely have no idea why you've got such a boner for the guy.

His record at Leicester and Scotland would be irrelevant to our position, with Hearts and (particularly) Dundee United being far more comparatively suitable examples. His 'average' spell at Hearts involved two successive third place finishes, and subsequently successive qualifications for Europe. His 'pretty good' spell at DU was actually an excellent one, taking them from relegation fodder to top six regulars and playing European football, as well as completely rejuvenating their youth system into one of the finest set-ups in the country whose output is still on show today. But people like to forget all this because he played a strange formation that one time a few years ago. If we could manage him, he would be a revolutionary appointment and we should not hesitate.

Who's happy clapping?

I've yet to see anyone on this, or any other thread, saying how great things are or what a wonderful job Archie is doing at the moment.

People simply have a different view as to how we combat the current situation. Some of us want to support the club, and give the guy a reasonable amount of time to turn round a bad situation. Not just bin him because we're not in the European places.

• Like 4