Archie Must Go Again ?

javeajag

Coyle's name is poison in England now after Bolton and Wigan.

There is no way he'd get a job in the Premier League. I'd doubt he'd even get a job in the Championship.

McLeish who has also been out of work for a while has said that English teams are moving away from appointing Scottish managers after so many have failed down there.

Would these guys rather sit at home or try or get back to work?

Maybe Charlie Endell could tell us. I'm assuming he knows the precise details of it all. Either that or he's a bellend.

One of the two.

Disappointing to see a poster of such high morals, reduced to personal abuse

Things are obviously getting to you son.

Think you need to chill out and take some time away from it.

I've read more plausible stories in the works of Terry Pratchet.

I've rattled so many people on here, including you, they would disagree with me no matter what I say. No one on here has the facts on how much Owen Coyle would want to be the manager of PTFC.

I would happily admit defeat in the face of real facts and not just arrogance and bluster.

Coyle's name is poison in England now after Bolton and Wigan.

There is no way he'd get a job in the Premier League. I'd doubt he'd even get a job in the Championship.

McLeish who has also been out of work for a while has said that English teams are moving away from appointing Scottish managers after so many have failed down there.

Would these guys rather sit at home or try or get back to work?

Maybe Charlie Endell could tell us. I'm assuming he knows the precise details of it all. Either that or he's a bellend.

One of the two.

Mcleish is stating that because no one wants him, if ands it's a massive if Archie was to go we'd be in the Pat Fenlon, Gus Macpherson, John Brown, someone brand new range of who we could afford, any of the ex English Premiership managers would have been on £10k a week minimum, plus a lovely pay off, they can bide their time or go abroad. FK Brann in the Norwegian Tippeleague couldn't match his salary demands last year, and their players are on around 50000NOK (£5000) a week.

I've rattled so many people on here, including you, they would disagree with me no matter what I say. No one on here has the facts on how much Owen Coyle would want to be the manager of PTFC. I would happily admit defeat in the face of real facts and not just arrogance and bluster.

So you admit that you are setting out to "rattle people" then. Glad you've confirmed what we already knew.

Look forward to Malky Mackay and Owen Coyle pitching up at Firhill.

Owen Coyle, Craig Levein, Billy Davis, Steve Lomas and Malky MacKay are all out of work and would all do better than Archibald in my opinion.

If you don't know what our budget is and what salaries these guys are looking for you can't say they are out of reach.

Am I the only one to think all these managers would come within our budget? Admittedly we wouldn't have any budget left for players but ....

Of course it's fine to have a genuine debate on the matter, but the previous thread was a disaster. If this thread descends into everyone calling each other trolls or playing amateur psychiatrist seeking the reasons why another poster makes particular comments, it might well get locked too. Please stick to the topic of the managers merits or lack thereof. I'm not sure having several locked threads on this topic does much for the forum.

In your own time, fella.

Archie is a thistle legend and young manager who got us promoted in some style and we've got a fighting chance of staying up so back him and the team as we've as many good performances as bad just get behind the team in these last 5 games

I think this clouds too many people's judgements and shouldn't be considered a factor in assessing his performance. I also don't by the 'good performances' thing, we were dire against Hearts and that game wasn't really an isolated performance - see similar heavy defeats and circus act defensive shows against Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dundee United, so on. Even if it was the case I don't think performances should be a factor either, given it has absolutely no reflection on points returned.

I think this clouds too many people's judgements and shouldn't be considered a factor in assessing his performance. I also don't by the 'good performances' thing, we were dire against Hearts and that game wasn't really an isolated performance - see similar heavy defeats and circus act defensive shows against Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dundee United, so on. Even if it was the case I don't think performances should be a factor either, given it has absolutely no reflection on points returned.

I think i would agree, the Hearts game was terrible, but not from a footballing perspective, at times in the first 20 we were sublime. but it was only the first 20... the problem was in the hearts game we were gutless, a level so poor in lack of fight and desire i haven't seen since Derek & Gerry were in charge.

The Motherwell doing, we struggled to contain them down our right and Lasley was solid and bossed the midfield, him playing out his skin resulted in us pumping long balls which McManus mopped up with ease.

The St Mirren defeat i don't particularly remember us being that bad, we just leaked goals from what i recall.

Aberdeen and Dundee United i can take, they have been 2 of the best 3 teams in the league, and football wise, there is a big drop off to Motherwell for me who are the fourth best team. Aberdeen have won a cup and Dundee United look likely to do the same. i'll forgive them.

So taking those handfull of games aside, we generally have been a great footballing team. Remember when we all laughed at Chick Young when he said we'd finish bottom below Hearts? he may have been wrong, but every pundit on the radio slaughtered him, they watched us and for the first third/half of the season, folk were tipping us for mid table security, pundits sang our praises.

The 2nd half of the season has been tough to take, we had a great run after christmas when our new signings came in, but it has fallen away of late. the one thing more than anything we have missed has been an out an out striker. a 15 goal a season Thompson/May/Boyd... The question is, would we have that if Taylor had started the season? potentially i think we would have, i think he's capable of that.

If we stay up, regardless of the route (play off's or 10th) then we need to look back at those heavy defeats, but most of all the draws. It would be interesting to see of the draws we've had, how many we led the game in. The players themselves need to toughen up. Look back on the season and learn from it, and take it into next year tougher, stronger, both physically and mentally.

When i look at Archie and what the club are doing, i see a long term strategy, i see the roots in place for a team that will build, on the basis of entertainment and youth. Not hoof ball, not defensive 10 men behind the ball. That is not our ethos. And after following us for 25 years, i'm over the moon at that. i can't support it enough!

If we stay up, make no mistake, with the smallest budget in the league and the second youngest squad in the league, this should be celebrated as an incredible achievement, especially in our manager's first full season of his career in that role. something for us as fans to be proud of not least becuase we will have done it playing football the way it should be played.

If we go down?

Well, we will go down, as the second worst team in the league unable to beat a team from the championship over two legs.

No one can comment or judge the team or manager until we have seen how they perform over these next 5-7 games. Judge them "mentally", do they have the fight and the bottle for the challenge, do they have the want, to stay up.... if they do, we will stay up... if they don't, we will go down.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see of the draws we've had, how many we led the game in.

Out of 9 score draws we've led in 7 (exceptions being the third games v St Johnstone and Dundee Utd).

Of the 3 no-score draws, you could argue with every justification that we should have taken Fake Thistle on Boxing day. Add in being 3-2 up late on v Motherwell and the 0-1 ****-up v Hibs, then we could have potentially had up to 22 points more, and that's leaving out all of the heavy pastings we've had.

Even a meagre 7 points out of that lot would have seen us in easy sight of safety right now.

As it is, Hearts' recent heroics means that they have accrued only two points less than the Jags in the league.

Anyway, it's all immaterial as we are where we are. Let's all get behind players and management and encourage them to achieve our best run of the season in the last 5 games.

Out of 9 score draws we've led in 7 (exceptions being the third games v St Johnstone and Dundee Utd).

Of the 3 no-score draws, you could argue with every justification that we should have taken Fake Thistle on Boxing day. Add in being 3-2 up late on v Motherwell and the 0-1 ****-up v Hibs, then we could have potentially had up to 22 points more, and that's leaving out all of the heavy pastings we've had.

Even a meagre 7 points out of that lot would have seen us in easy sight of safety right now.

As it is, Hearts' recent heroics means that they have accrued only two points less than the Jags in the league.

Anyway, it's all immaterial as we are where we are. Let's all get behind players and management and encourage them to achieve our best run of the season in the last 5 games.

Cheers Barney, confirms exactly what I need to know. If we stay up, and learn and grow as a team. If we get tougher and wiser... With a couple of additions to improve the squad.

The evidence is there for us to build as a team capable of mid table security in the premiership.

However, there very rarely is such a thing... Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee united and in all likelihood st Johnstone will almost certainly take 5 of next seasons top half places.

Caly should be aiming to take the 6th spot.

That leaves.. Killie, us, hibs, st mirren, county.

Replace one of those teams with Dundee and the slightest run of bad form, the slightest error and you are a bottom 6 team again.

That's how tight it is, there is no margin for error in a top 12 league with a split.

And because of that, I think we need to be realistic, or at least more grounded in our expectations as fans. Look at st mirren. I team with no debt, a new stadium, a new training facility of their own. A combined staffing level between player and office of 80 people on the wage bill with a combined wage bill of 2.5 million quid.

The league table at the end of every season might show them safe... But they are struggling to step up to top 6 security. They are always in a bottom 6 dig fight. Lennon has taken them as far as he can, and if the word on paisley is accurate, they are about to put their faith in Thompson and teale! That's a gamble, but it's a gamble we too took last season.

Probably not, mate.

Maybe it's just the way you, and others, have been interpreting different opinions to your own?

Don't think so and I would imagine I am not the only one. Genuinely interested to know if

1) you want the manager sacked now

2) you want him sacked at the end of the season, even if we stay up

3) you want him sacked no matter what happens

4) you are happy for him to stay no matter what happens

Just interested and let me make it clear that from the start I have said if we go down, the managers position should be looked at, though I am pretty sure the board will stick by him. I am confident we will be in this league next season though it might be via the play offs.

Edited by Lindau

I was talking to another thistle supporter about this.

Our good run once McNamara left was down to the players and in particular Erskine's fantastic form rather than Archie.

It's the same scenario as admin stricken Dundee under Barry Smith and Hearts under Locke.

Neither of them are good managers but the players are playing well because they have something to fight for and prove. Remember #wegothis and the t-shirts having a pop at the media?

Something to fight for.

Probably not, mate.

Maybe it's just the way you, and others, have been interpreting different opinions to your own?

You will see that I don't think anyone is saying Archie should be sacked now it's way past that .....

The division seems to be between those who think he should never be sacked no matter what and those who think it should be reviewed in the summer

Don't think so and I would imagine I am not the only one. Genuinely interested to know if 1) you want the manager sacked now 2) you want him sacked at the end of the season, even if we stay up 3) you want him sacked no matter what happens 4) you are happy for him to stay no matter what happens Just interested and let me make it clear that from the start I have said if we go down, the managers position should be looked at, though I am pretty sure the board will stick by him. I am confident we will be in this league next season though it might be via the play offs.

1) No, and for the record at no point have I stated that Archie should be sacked.

2) If we stay up, then no.

3) No, see above.

4) If we go down, then his position must come under review.

That's my opinion on the subject. Others may feel differently and are quite entitled to do so. That's the beauty of a discussion forum.

I was talking to another thistle supporter about this.

Our good run once McNamara left was down to the players and in particular Erskine's fantastic form rather than Archie.

It's the same scenario as admin stricken Dundee under Barry Smith and Hearts under Locke.

Neither of them are good managers but the players are playing well because they have something to fight for and prove. Remember #wegothis and the t-shirts having a pop at the media?

Something to fight for.

It seems it's a no win situation for the manager,then. Good performances are down to the players, but bad ones are down to the manager.

I am not sure I get the similarity between Dundee/Hearts and us - both of them got relegated despite "good form" whereas we got promoted.

• Like 1

trolling aside i don't see point in letting manager go at this time of season he has done a very good job on the budget we have if we can survive drop its an achievement itself and also i reckon if we do then more players will want to join us as we do play attractive football keep that up get improved players and our future looks good also aswell we will have youngsters pushing in next year or 2 so put up shut up and live the dream after all we are in the premiership the now enjoy it while we can

• Like 1