Keep The North Stand Red And Yellow

yoda-jag

• Members

Many posts about compromise. IMO the best form of compromise would be the status quo from last season. Jags fans in the North Stand for all home games with the exception of any OF games that may arise. It may be too late to start looking into another alternative now when they want to get the ST's on sale, but perhaps they could start canvasing the JHS regulars about how they would feel about moving to a combination of the Main Stand and the North Stand for OF games giving the OF fans the acoustically poor JHS?

• Like 1

I don't think it's fully accurate to say that the JHS is acoustically poor. On many occasions I've been in the main stand and heard some fantastic, loud Thistle singing from the JHS. What is true is that the sound doesn't travel very well laterally within the stand, meaning that fans at one end of the JH can't always hear a chant that starts up at the other end, but there is no doubt that on the pitch and across in the main stand the singing emanating from the JH stand is loud and clear.

• Like 1

Many posts about compromise. IMO the best form of compromise would be the status quo from last season. Jags fans in the North Stand for all home games with the exception of any OF games that may arise. It may be too late to start looking into another alternative now when they want to get the ST's on sale, but perhaps they could start canvasing the JHS regulars about how they would feel about moving to a combination of the Main Stand and the North Stand for OF games giving the OF fans the acoustically poor JHS?

^^^this

I still don't understand why away fans can't be housed in a few sections of the JHS, say 2000 seats and if required which in all likelihood would be OF games can overspill into Main Stand.

I don't see how this would require movement of any Jags fan and would increase atmosphere in the ground. Main Stand could be opened as a family stand if required else this could be moved over to the Coty End

• Like 1

100% Derby Jag. The best atmosphere's last season (meaning Division One winning season) were games where there was a decent away support housed at the North End of the JH - i.e. Falkirk in the first game of the season (who can forget poor Peachy...)

The change should be to create a decent, but malleable, segregation barrier for the northernmost 2,000 seats in the JH (sections 7, 8 and 9) for away supports - both on seats, in concourse and outside. This should be used for most games unless away support estimated at more than 2,000 (i.e. OF games) I assume the majority of ST holders are in sections 5 and 6 (i.e. near half way line) or further towards City End (traditional home end) so there shouldn't be too much change.

The only real change would then be moving Family Section to Main Stand - have different catering there for kids, have Jaggy MacBee around there before games, they can see Archie and subs close up, have players signing autographs in the enclosure on occasion - this could be made into an area dedicated to the kids matchday experience. Hell, we could even make it unsegregated (as initially planned for the 'new' City End) and make this the only stand where kids go free - a proper, family based (and appropriately stewarded) matchday experience.

Thoughts anyone?

Edit to Add: this would also segregate fans outside the ground, with away fans using the North Drive while home fans exit onto the South Drive and Firhill Road. Surely that would reduce some policing costs, potentially offsetting additional stewarding costs of splitting the JH stand?

I think the only cost effective way is to create a long(ish) term solution - if the above then a permanent fence segregating the area outside the JH would be cheaper than constantly renting fencing, as I assume we currently do for Celtic games where we give them part of the JH?

Edited by Mediocre Pundit
  • Like 1

100% Derby Jag. The best atmosphere's last season (meaning Division One winning season) were games where there was a decent away support housed at the North End of the JH - i.e. Falkirk in the first game of the season (who can forget poor Peachy...)

The change should be to create a decent, but malleable, segregation barrier for the northernmost 2,000 seats in the JH (sections 7, 8 and 9) for away supports - both on seats, in concourse and outside. This should be used for most games unless away support estimated at more than 2,000 (i.e. OF games) I assume the majority of ST holders are in sections 5 and 6 (i.e. near half way line) or further towards City End (traditional home end) so there shouldn't be too much change.

The only real change would then be moving Family Section to Main Stand - have different catering there for kids, have Jaggy MacBee around there before games, they can see Archie and subs close up, have players signing autographs in the enclosure on occasion - this could be made into an area dedicated to the kids matchday experience. Hell, we could even make it unsegregated (as initially planned for the 'new' City End) and make this the only stand where kids go free - a proper, family based (and appropriately stewarded) matchday experience.

Thoughts anyone?

This to me is the best solution that I can see and I don't fully understand why we didn't do it last year anyway. It minimises disruption, enhanced atmosphere and utilises all stands in a meaningful way. The kids go free unsegregated stand is a great idea to me

i would have no problem for the Celtic fans to be in the jhs and thistle fans in the ns and main stand for the Celtic game.

I still don't understand why away fans can't be housed in a few sections of the JHS, say 2000 seats and if required which in all likelihood would be OF games can overspill into Main Stand.

I don't see how this would require movement of any Jags fan and would increase atmosphere in the ground. Main Stand could be opened as a family stand if required else this could be moved over to the Coty End

very good point and let's face it the jhs is big enough to accomadate this

• Members

Hopefully my final word in this thread on the current situation, but this seems to me a stupid situation for the Club to get into over what in all likelihood be for ONE game this season. How does the old saying go.... using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Thoughts anyone?

Edit to Add: this would also segregate fans outside the ground, with away fans using the North Drive while home fans exit onto the South Drive and Firhill Road. Surely that would reduce some policing costs, potentially offsetting additional stewarding costs of splitting the JH stand?

I think the only cost effective way is to create a long(ish) term solution - if the above then a permanent fence segregating the area outside the JH would be cheaper than constantly renting fencing, as I assume we currently do for Celtic games where we give them part of the JH?

A lot of good sense in that.