Keep The North Stand Red And Yellow

yoda-jag

I sit in the JHS and I really appreciate the noise from the the North Stand.

This is our club...we don't have a maga rich sugar daddy....if we want the NS to be for Jags fans that is what we should have.

This club belongs to us.....we pay our money and the club survives on that.

Mr Chairman....listen to us!

Heard about this last night as we were pub crawling along Maryhill Rd and GWR Road. An absolute shocker and a massive own goal from the BOD, just what in a Gods name are they thinking of? After seeing and hearing the atmosphere at the Morton game last season, we decided to jump ship to the NS for the Dunfermline game and we haven't been back in the JHS since. Before the singers were moved into the NS, Firhill was depressing. No atmosphere, very little singing and what there was, was lost in the size of the JHS. I have been in the main for both Celtic games this season and to be frank, it's awful and the toilet facilities are an absolute disgrace, so much so that I am amazed that they can open the stand given that food is sold in it. We have loved every minute of our season, this season, so much so that 3 of the 5 of us that go were going to get season tickets next season after we all chucked them for pay at the gate in the Dickie years. Well we all agreed last night that, that won't be happening. At a time when the feel good factor at Firhill is nearly at 100%, why is it no surprise that the custodians of our club have the knack of bringing things back to earth with a severe boot in the Bobby Laws?? This is a massive OG from the club and one I hope they rectify on Monday morning!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

The decision is bad enough the way it is communicated is cowardly, you have to wonder what the agenda is at Firhill, why piss off 20% of our core support is baffling unless Propco is back on the radar, and removing the most vocal element of the support would allow them to push ahead.

No business in its right mind would alienate 20% of its regular income without a hidden agenda. The reason given that it is to stop moving ST holders for Celtic games is frankly BS, as ST holders were moved from the JHS last year along with the NS, there is a hidden agenda here this is not a business trying to grow its customer base, this is a business removing an obstacle to do what it wants.

I will be mailing the club to tell them exactly why I will not be buying a ST and would urge others who feel the same to do exactly the same, don't just not buy, let them know why and hopefully we can have this overturned, the club is nothing without its supporters

The decision is bad enough the way it is communicated is cowardly, you have to wonder what the agenda is at Firhill, why piss off 20% of our core support is baffling unless Propco is back on the radar, and removing the most vocal element of the support would allow them to push ahead.

No business in its right mind would alienate 20% of its regular income without a hidden agenda. The reason given that it is to stop moving ST holders for Celtic games is frankly BS, as ST holders were moved from the JHS last year along with the NS, there is a hidden agenda here this is not a business trying to grow its customer base, this is a business removing an obstacle to do what it wants.

I will be mailing the club to tell them exactly why I will not be buying a ST and would urge others who feel the same to do exactly the same, don't just not buy, let them know why and hopefully we can have this overturned, the club is nothing without its supporters

Norge what is the deal with Propco and how does it affect the North Stand?

Thought the NS was excellent yesterday as we were sitting down that end in the JHS

I have never seen it near full other than the Morton game and can only think the Main Stand is needing that much work done to it they will need to accomodate away fans in the NS.

It would be a massive own goal if that's not the case but maybe it's got to be done.

I don't know the whole story of it all though.

Edited by billko

Norge what is the deal with Propco and how does it affect the North Stand?

Thought the NS was excellent yesterday as we were sitting down that end in the JHS

I have never seen it near full other than the Morton game and can only think the Main Stand is needing that much work done to it they will need to accomodate away fans in the NS.

It would be a massive own goal if that's not the case but maybe it's got to be done.

I don't know the whole story of it all though.

Propco doesn't affect the NS, it affects the main stand and bing, BUT our most vocal and organised section of our support is housed in the NS remove that and you have a free run at Firhill. This is 20% of our regular support being moved, how often do teams bring 600 fans to Firhill apart from a few clubs?

If the main stand needs so much work, why put the home fans in it?

How will moving the NS fans to the main stand stop JHS season ticket holders being moved for the Celtic game, it never last season, or are we going to only allow them to buy ST's in the city end of the JHS.

What next kids for free disappearing?

We were told by Beattie the NS would always be for Jags fans, has this happened?

We were told ST prices would not go up last year, did this happen?

We were promised better fan consultation, did this happen?

We were promised (Again) in February TAG would be launched soon, has this happened?

We were told we will have a better match day experience in Beattie's interview on Thursday........ does this make a better match day experience for home fans?

We were told we want to grow the core support to 5000.... will this move help?

As a Jags fan I am very worried as to the endgame here, this move flies in the face of all we have been told about growing the club

• Like 2

Maxwell quoted in today's papers

"If we were in a cup final we would have around 15-20,000 fans at it, so it is all about attracting them to a game more regularly"

Well Maxi what about catering for the fans that have turned up regularly through the shitfest years we have all endured, but supported the club through thick and thin. The Firhill experience two years ago was frankly dire, with little or no atmosphere in the ground, the football not much better. Great move to get a singing section in the NS, the team starts delivering on the pitch, the match day experience is 100% better than two years ago! then this. I am all for getting more bums on seats at Firhill, but this move is going to alienate the support and make Firhill sound like a graveyard on match days. Great thinking from the board, a bloody masterstroke

. Feckin beggars belief!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Maybe they're about to surprise us by announcing brand new covered terracing for the City End bing!

A man can dream ...

This!

Pretty much the only acceptable option, the club must know the supporters and it needs them, Beattie and the board surely know this and how much dissent this move will cause.

What next kids for free disappearing?

As a Jags fan I am very worried as to the endgame here, this move flies in the face of all we have been told about growing the club

Absolutely, some if the best moves the club have made recently (North stand & free kids) I take my nephew when I can get to games, he supports one of the ugly sisters but I take him to Firhill to educate him about the finer side of football! He had a thistle scarf on when I picked him up yesterday and I'm hoping taking him is slowly working.

A clear message needs to be sent to the club that the fans are the past, present and future of Thistle.

Maxwell quoted in today's papers

"If we were in a cup final we would have around 15-20,000 fans at it, so it is all about attracting them to a game more regularly"

Well Maxi what about catering for the fans that have turned up regularly through the shitfest years we have all endured, but supported the club through thick and thin. The Firhill experience two years ago was frankly dire, with little or no atmosphere in the ground, the football not much better. Great move to get a singing section in the NS, the team starts delivering on the pitch, the match day experience is 100% better than two years ago! then this. Feckin beggars belief!

I have respect for Maxwell but the interview would've probably been carried out midweek after the Hearts game & the euphoria of the team remaining in the SPFL for another season still fresh.

In all likelihood, well before Beattie told him to front up to fans about the North Stand.

I've always felt that Maxwell was closer to the dressing room than the Boardroom so he can probably appreciate the support more than Beattie.

But let's face it, Beattie has an agenda here & it may soon come to light.

We're better on the pitch & whoever you credit that with it has happened all very quickly.

PropCo is still the shadow in the background. They're all businessmen with a lot of money invested in 50% of the ground that they will want returns on.

If we are successful on the park & home crowds do indeed increase then it'll be much more difficult for them to sell the Main Stand.

Edited by Trotter

I'll probably make a longer post later but just gonna leave a few North Stand quotes from David Beattie here.

June 2013 - "The North Stand was a huge success last season, which was widely acknowledged by players, coaching staff and supporters alike and there can be no doubt it played a major part in our excellent home form.

"Our main aim this season has been that the North Stand remained for the home support only.

"The North Stand has become an integral part of Matchday Experience at Partick Thistle. It’s very much overused but our Supporters last year were our 12th Man. The onethistle project was and is a success. The feeling of unity between players and support was tangible and played a huge part in our success last season."

Edited by The Arch

I have respect for Maxwell but the interview would've probably been carried out midweek after the Hearts game & the euphoria of the team remaining in the SPFL for another season still fresh.

In all likelihood, well before Beattie told him to front up to fans about the North Stand.

I've always felt that Maxwell was closer to the dressing room than the Boardroom so he can probably appreciate the support more than Beattie.

We're better on the pitch & whoever you credit that with it has happened all very quickly.

PropCo is still the shadow in the background. They're all businessmen with a lot of money invested in 50% of the ground that they will want returns on.

If we are successful on the park & home crowds do indeed increase then it'll be much more difficult for them to sell the Main Stand.

Well Trotter it's good to have a sensible grown up discussion. Totally agree there is a hidden agenda here. Why didn't Beattie come out with this in his 10 minute interview about the club on STV on Thursday when he appeared very willing to discuss everything positive about the club, but left this bombshell till a few hours before the game yesterday. This is gonna end up backfiring on them at a time when people are ready to part with their hard earned for next seasons tickets.

Edited by Lindau

At least it is in the public domain BEFORE ST renewal. It would have been outrageous to reveal that kind of information afterwards. Like last year.

It does also give the fans leverage, though that would be better exercised in a collective and organized fashion. Easier said than done given the state of organization among our support, a situation that you could argue has come to pass through the influence of the BoD.

• Like 2

If we believe that Maxi (As General Manager and part of the board) wasn't informed or part of the discussion I think we are kidding ourselves, this decision would not have just happened on Friday or Saturday (After Beatties interview on Thursday) this has been in the pipeline for a while (Probably once property prices started to rise), to pass the information to 2 fans representatives just before the start of the game is disgraceful and shows the disregard they have for us as fans

Just sent this email to the club: suggest everyone else does something similar

Very sorry to hear the news about the North Stand

I have been watching Thistle for many years. The group of guys I go with has dwindled down to 2. I have never had a season ticket but I always go to some games every year.

The last 2 seasons I have been to a lot more games because the team has been better and the atmosphere in the North Stand.

The JH stand atmosphere was dire and this diminished the "matchday experience" considerably.

To make this decision without consultation or explanation is unacceptable and will result in me not turning up for marginal games. £20 without atmosphere is not as good value.

My advice would be to reverse this decision immediately and restore goodwill

Monday evening 7th October 2013 - we were playing Hibs at home, and my son and I were running late for the game (it's a 2 hour, 3 journey trip for us get to evening games).

Anyway, the bus dropped us off at Great Western Road, and we ran as fast as we could up Maryhill Road to get to the match. We got to the ground at about 5 to 8 and we started the walk up the hill to the JH stand. As we walked up, there was the strange mix of it being quiet and deserted outside the ground against the noise and the excitement of game inside the ground. About halfway up the hill, something magical happened. The sound of Maryhill is Wonderful, coming from the North Stand, started ricocheting and echoing around us. The acoustics were like nothing I'd ever heard before - it was completely different from hearing it when your in the ground. It was emotionally electrifying and I'm not ashamed to admit it gave me goosebumps and a tear in my eye. The wee man and I looked at each other and we both knew we were sharing a moment.

I remember thinking I'll need to come back and record this one night - I have an interest in audio recording and a few years ago I downloaded an old, unusual recording someone had made of Liverpool fans singing in the Kop from the 60's. A Jags version of this would be a lovely thing to have.

When the club relaxed the rule in November for over 12's to sit the the NS, me and the wean were round there in a shot. It also meant we could sit with 2 of my friends each home game, and aside from the Celtic games and the recent steward problem at the St Mirren game, we have sat in the NS ever since and loved it. I emailed the club to tell them the same and got a lovely email back from them.

Yesterday (apart from the result) we had a great day in the Northy. We sat with our pals, and one of them brought along a friend who normally attends a different Glasgow club, and he commented on how good the atmosphere and banter was. I was really impressed that they let the fans on the pitch at the end - the kids loved it and the players who stayed on were amazing - they signed every autograph and posed for every photo (especially Balatoni, Taylor and Fraser). Got a brilliant pic of the wee man posing in the NS goals too :)

Then we got home and found out about this. Both my son and I are gutted. We had been talking earlier about renewing our Season Tickets next week and asking for them to be changed to the NS. "Dad, why are they doing this?" I got asked. I don't know what to tell him.

• Like 2

Well Trotter it's good to have a sensible grown up discussion. Totally agree there is a hidden agenda here. Why didn't Beattie come out with this in his 10 minute interview about the club on STV on Thursday when he appeared very willing to discuss everything positive about the club, but left this bombshell till a few hours before the game yesterday. This is gonna end up backfiring on them at a time when people are ready to part with their hard earned for next seasons tickets.

But there's where Beattie has the fans (& the club) over the barrel so to speak.

Don't renew, easier to get rid of the Main Stand & line his pocket.

Do renew, he wins with money in the bank & successfully flexed his & the BoDs muscles over the fans (again).

Keep saying it. Right back to when PropCo was announced that there has to be some end game. His primary concern is £££.

Been proved over the years with the outsourcing of many things- stewarding, catering, merchandise etc- to refusing to indicate which way he eventually voted in the Rangers debacle. I'm pretty sure from memory he initially was one of the chairmen who wanted them dropped a league which coincidentally was where we were! £££

Property prices starting to rise again, has the end game begun? I don't know.

Whether this decision has or hasn't to do with it, PropCo is Beattie's (& others) investment in the club & they'll want to make a profit it on it before the market goes belly up again.

If we believe that Maxi (As General Manager and part of the board) wasn't informed or part of the discussion I think we are kidding ourselves, this decision would not have just happened on Friday or Saturday (After Beatties interview on Thursday) this has been in the pipeline for a while (Probably once property prices started to rise), to pass the information to 2 fans representatives just before the start of the game is disgraceful and shows the disregard they have for us as fans

Disregarding the Celtic game, what other game have we had at Firhill where the away support has not been easily accommodated in the main stand. That will clearly not be the case if the away fans are moved into the NS, so in certain games we will have an overflow of away fans either in the main or the JHS. Can't understand the logic of that, unless Beattie pulls out the old "police instructions" trick. Add to that the loss of the atmosphere at the ground. There has got to be more to this than meets the eye. Some people are saying Poopco back on the scene, but why would that necessitate the removal of the singing section from the NS. Am I missing something here?

Dear Sirs,

It was with complete shock that I heard of the decision to close the North Stand to Partick Thistle supporters for next year and to move them to the Main stand. The vocal support from the North Stand in its two seasons has not only improved the matchday experience ten fold for all, but has also enabled the fans to act as a twelve man for the team and in those two seasons we have won promotion, made a cup final and kept ourselves in the top flight on a limited budget with a young team, I do not see that as a coincidence.

The way this has been handled on the back of a television interview stating that matchday experience will be enhanced for next season, then communicated to two fans representatives just prior to kick off is shocking, with still no official statement from the club being forthcoming.

I had made the decision to purchase a season ticket for 2014/15 season although living in Norway I would at best see 4 or 5 home games, it was an act of backing Archie and the club, not an act of making a saving on pay at the gate prices. This with the addition of TAG plus would be my way to back the club from afar this season.

I regret to say that if this decision to relocate the singing section of the North stand is not revoked I will not be purchasing a season ticket for the upcoming season, the ground swell of fans opinion on social media leads me to believe I am far from in the minority on this thinking.

We have talk of growing the fan base, aiming for 5000 supporters, how can we do this by alienating 20% (600) of our base load customers?

I urge all involved with this decision to re-think this proposed plan, and listen to the clubs customers, the fans views on this.

Regards

NorgeThistle

Just some initial thoughts. In order to be able to fight this properly our first aim must be to extract a detailed rationale from the BODs. Ian and PT may have obtained something along these lines from Maxy already, in which case I'm sure they are putting together a report that we can properly scrutinise. But I wouldn't stop there; we need to force the BODs themselves to fully justify the policy. I'd suggest a campaign website be created to accompany the twitter account that has recently been set up. A petition is also an excellent idea, but I'd wait until we have more info then use the supporters clubs, OneThistle and whatever else we can use to promote it.

But there's where Beattie has the fans (& the club) over the barrel so to speak.

Don't renew, easier to get rid of the Main Stand & line his pocket.

Do renew, he wins with money in the bank & successfully flexed his & the BoDs muscles over the fans (again).

Keep saying it. Right back to when PropCo was announced that there has to be some end game. His primary concern is £££.

Been proved over the years with the outsourcing of many things- stewarding, catering, merchandise etc- to refusing to indicate which way he eventually voted in the Rangers debacle. I'm pretty sure from memory he initially was one of the chairmen who wanted them dropped a league which coincidentally was where we were! £££

Property prices starting to rise again, has the end game begun? I don't know.

Whether this decision has or hasn't to do with it, PropCo is Beattie's (& others) investment in the club & they'll want to make a profit it on it before the market goes belly up again.

To be honest I think there might be too much conspiracy theory here! I think David Beattie is a thistle fan and he personally doesn't need the money

But it us a bad call lets hope we get an explanation soon

I never sit in the North Stand but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it brings to Firhill. In previous seasons when opposition fans had this section at times, it gave them an advantage in creating an atmosphere and gave the opposition players a sense of being supported and probably pushed them on a bit. This is what it brings to the Jags players too and I imagine if you asked our players their opinion they too would want it to remain Red and Yellow. I will hold off on renewing my season ticket until we have more information on this. I would be interested in hearing from the Supporters Liaison officer and how he see his role in this? Will he representing the fans view to the club?

To be honest I think there might be too much conspiracy theory here! I think David Beattie is a thistle fan and he personally doesn't need the money

But it us a bad call lets hope we get an explanation soon

Genuine question, & not doubting he's a Thistle fan, but how much money do you think he's put into the club without looking for a return?

The Weirs are Thistle fans & they've put their money in with the only proviso that it's used to help kids & not spent on anything else.

These guys are all businessmen, Beattie included, & would not have got involved at Boardroom level unless there was something in it for them.

They've stated clearly over the years in charge they're against a 'fan' on the board. Why? I know the reason they've given publicly but that's Beattie all over. He has own agenda.

I'm not saying this decision is or isn't linked to PropCo but we have a chairman & a BoD who are in it to make as much money as they can before moving on.

Custodians.

They'll be long gone when the rest of us are still here (assuming they've left us anything).

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 2