World Cup Pundit Thread

thebiglemon

How about Robbie Savage having a go at Honduras for "over physical" play?

Not nearly as bad as Henry complaining about teams benefiting from handballs ...

I was about to kick the telly in when Pearce was going on about the 'controversy' of the goal-line tech ... the heat has obviously made his brain go dry, like an old loaf.

ITV for the Japan vs Ivory Coast (sorry, Côte d'Ivoire) game had a solo commentator, Gary Bloom. He wasn't amazing but at least there was less awfulness than most co-commentators bring.

Also shout out to Lee Dixon, but not sure if he just looks decent to comparison to everything else on ITV.

I heard his constant comments about Ivory Coasts "official FIFA name" and suspect he was talking utter bollocks or had mis-understood some directive or other. Surely if he was under orders to say "Côte d'Ivoire", he should also have been saying Nihon as the other team's name. Let's reduce his argument to the absurd and inquire about Italia? Deutschland? Francais?

I heard his constant comments about Ivory Coasts "official FIFA name" and suspect he was talking utter bollocks or had mis-understood some directive or other. Surely if he was under orders to say "Côte d'Ivoire", he should also have been saying Nihon as the other team's name. Let's reduce his argument to the absurd and inquire about Italia? Deutschland? Francais?

I don't want to be pedantic, or defend Mr Bloom, but infact the "official FIFA names" for these countries is JAPAN, ITALY, GERMANY and FRANCE, which is why the TV feed has the 3 letter abreviation of JPN, ITA, GER and FRA in the top left corner. Ivory Coast has CIV.

I don't want to be pedantic, or defend Mr Bloom, but infact the "official FIFA names" for these countries is JAPAN, ITALY, GERMANY and FRANCE, which is why the TV feed has the 3 letter abreviation of JPN, ITA, GER and FRA in the top left corner. Ivory Coast has CIV.

Not pedantic at all, and thanks for the info. You learn something every day. :happy2:

So does that mean that a French commentator, working on a French game, has to call Les Blues France?

Or Allemagne Germany?

I suspect not.

In my opinion ion the best pundits by some distance have been Seedorf and Henry and the only "home" pundits to pass muster , again in my own opinion have been WGS and Neil Lennon. Although, I doubt the latter will find much favour down Govan way, for some reason!

Nope i think Lennon has been excellent and glad he has found something he is good at.

It would be great if he could get his pal Ally to join him. (FULL TIME TV CAREER)

Ian Wright is awful.

What do you think of Gerrard Ian asked Lee Dixon

"He does what he does" was the reply

WTF?

Edited by billko

Nope i think Lennon has been excellent and glad he has found something he is good at.

It would be great if he could get his pal Ally to join him. (FULL TIME TV CAREER)

Ian Wright is awful.

What do you think of Gerrard Ian asked Lee Dixon

"He does what he does" was the reply

WTF?

I don't know ... that's rather Cantona-esque in its philosophique intensity.

(Try it in Joey Bartonesque mock-French accent and you'll see what I mean.)

Edited by Mr Bunny

LEAVE ROBBIE SAVAGE ALONE *sob* *wail*

I like him! And he's got more personality than all the other English commentators combined.

Only the non-English commentators are worth (half)listening to - Henry, Lennon, Strachan, etc.

I suspect this might be a "whoosh" moment, but... how exactly is Robbie Savage English?

I think all the matches are broadcast by the same team, for FIFA, and sold all around the world.

This means that FIFA must employ someone at every game, to solely look at the crowd, and pick out pretty lassies for the cameraman to film.

Because that's why I watch football, to have a crowd shot every five minutes of some random bint in a tight t-shirt. I'm actually surprised they don't right in tight on their chests.