Glentoran Troll-Free Thread

ian_mac

Anyone thinking of going?

I went over in 2001 and had a crackin weekend. Was only about 15 at the time and got served in every pub!

Didn't see any "serious" trouble in the city centre where we were for most of the time.

However, the area where the ground is located is a complete NO GO. We ended up getting a taxi there from the city centre on advice from the hotel porter.

The ground itself was excellent. Nice pub in the main stand which was fine and the locals fairly welcoming.

Glentoran fans were all pretty decent from what I remember, all wishing us well for the upcoming season. From memory, I would say we had maybe 3-400 at the game, all spread out around the stadium as there was no specific away end that day.

Would love to have gone to this but I'm abroad until September.

I worked in Belfast for about 10 months in 2010, company rented a flat on that side of the city. Not sure what the area round the ground is like on a match day Ian, but when I was there it was fine. Had a few beers in the Harland and Wolff club which was just along the road, no problems at all.

The Northern Ireland supporters club in town is a dive but cheap beer if I remember correctly. A few great boozers all across the city, but there are the usual suspects in the city centre, wetherspoons etc.

Edited by cjptfc

I'm sure the craic will be grand - and I'm not complaining - but I wonder why we never seem to give Wales a wee try? We've played (home and away) against Northern Irish opposition on 38 occasions yet NEVER had a game in Wales. For that matter, it's been 110 years since we made a non-Ulster visit to Ireland. Just sayin' like...

Would love to have gone to this but I'm abroad until September.

I worked in Belfast for about 10 months in 2010, company rented a flat on that side of the city. Not sure what the area round the ground is like on a match day Ian, but when I was there it was fine. Had a few beers in the Harland and Wolff club which was just along the road, no problems at all.

The Northern Ireland supporters club in town is a dive but cheap beer if I remember correctly. A few great boozers all across the city, but there are the usual suspects in the city centre, wetherspoons etc.

They may have regenerated the area JB. It was 13 years ago that I was there. But, at that time, it was definitely a no go area.

Would love to go over but already have plans for that weekend. Extremely fond of Northern Ireland; went over for our pre-season tour in 2002 where we won every game without conceding and got the ferry back to Stranraer with Lambie and the team - Trigger eating a dry Pot Noodle because the cafe wasn't open cemented his place as one of my favourite players at the time. Also went over for our mini tour the following year (or the year after?) but nearly missed the game against Crusaders as the police closed the road off as they suspected someone had planted a car bomb.

Car bombs aside, it's a great place.

i have just spoke with the bloke that runs the wee social club at the oval. He doesnt always open the club for pre season friendlies but is doing on this occasion. He has also mentioned that there has been a couple of emails sent regarding kick off maybe being slightly later, due to flight timings. I read on twitter that there were rumours that it was an u21 squad that was coming over, he has said that there was no mention of this and that they are expecting the full 1st team squad.

If going for a drink i would stay in the oval(he is planning on opening from 1400h, or earlier if there are more fans over on the saturday night) or the H&W welders(only 5 mins from the ground). I wouldn't recommend any of the bars on the newtownards rd

The area is no way near as bad as it was 13 years ago, but with everything in life, it only takes one eedjit to cause cause trouble.

To get to the ground from the city centre, the safest way is, head along the newtownards rd, turn left along Dee street(DO NOT GO IN THE PUB ON THE CORNER) then right along mersey street, the ground will be at the bottom of the road.

After all that, 20 minutes up the bloody road and i'm working.

I was hoping to have a home game on the Saturday as we have friends from down south staying with us that weekend for the games and the plan was to squeeze in the game before they go egg chasing at Snake Mountain, but hey ho.

As has already been said, plenty of good pubs in the city centre for anyone going over.

The Crown, Robinsons and The Beaten Docket is a good 3 pub crawl on Great Victoria Street for starters.

One thing, jif, is footy in NI not still pretty much taboo on a Sunday?

To some people yes, but in the main steam, people just get on with it now. Off the top of my head i dont think there has been any league games but there are a couple of N Ireland Euro qualifiers on a Sunday and it doesnt appear to have caused much of a stink.

Booked this one today. Staying the Sun night in Belfast.

I'm assuming the "Titanic" station is the closest from Belfast Central.

yes it is. There is a premier inn (Titanic Quarter) at the odyssey arena within walking distance of the ground

One of my sons lives in Belfast and he goes to see Glentoran regularly. I've been there with him several times. Going to their home games is like going back to the 1950's, wooden stands, old guys in suits, bunnets and mufflers, wee boys with ricketies, and a pretty basic social club. Plus they never seem to chant or sing.

Having said that they were all very welcoming, I never heard any sectarian abuse, and going by the names I'd think their team has a mix of religions

And before the game they play a version of 'The Star of The County Down' by Glens fan Van Morrison. "When you see them play on a Saturday they're the Star o the County Down. Because the Oval is south of the Laggan they play in County Down, and most of the banners round the ground were from wee towns in County Down.

The streets on the north of the ground (our route of approach) are all new housing with lots of Ulster Flags during the marching season (as anyone going to the game will see) but I've never felt threatened there (unlike in the Lower Newtonards Road)

For a couple of years recently my other son was living in Brno in the Czech Republic. It was Brno that we played in Europe after we beat Glentoran home and away. Spooky

Does anyone know if getting a ferry that arrives in Belfast at 13.45 then departing at 19.30 is too neat to make it to and from the ground? Day trips on Stena as a foot passenger are £20 return from Cairnryan including a bus pass for Belfast

Does anyone know if getting a ferry that arrives in Belfast at 13.45 then departing at 19.30 is too neat to make it to and from the ground? Day trips on Stena as a foot passenger are £20 return from Cairnryan including a bus pass for Belfast

you should have plenty of time, for getting there and back. worst case a taxi will be no more than £7-£8 to the ground

Wondering same myself re going to the game. I'm not so sure the buses up to the city centre run as a shuttle. There might be a longish delay between ferry getting in and bus leaving. I wanted to check in at my hotel first so if the bus not leaving too sharpish will get a taxi.

Black Taxi that sits outside the terminal building will cost about £15. fonaCAB (02890 333333)will be about £9.

The guy that runs the social club at the oval has also asked, roughly how many people are planning on coming over. As he deals with stenaline regularly he has said that he may be able to get a special rate of £38 foot passanger as to £50 per person ( there needs to be a minimum of 40). when i get more info i'll pass it on

• 2 weeks later...