Number One Goalkeeper

ThickAsThieves

Thought I'd get a wee discussion going on who you feel should be our number one for this season, or at least start as number one.

Fox started last season - I thought he was impressive, but then after his Scotland call-up (maybe a week or two before it if I recall) he started putting in some poor performances. Then an injury saw him out of the team - although I suspect he was close to being dropped at that time anyway. Came back for the final match and went off injured - so really still has a bit to prove to me that he's back. He's a good goalkeeper but concerns me on crossed balls.

Gallacher came in and was vocal, I thought he organised the defence well and made some terrific saves. There were a couple of matches where we conceded a few, but there's not many, if any, goals I would lay blame to him. He's the older of the two though, and if we don't play Fox then he'd likely leave at the end of his contract. Which may be no bad thing if Scully comes in as number one for next season.

I'm fairly split but I think I'd go for Gallacher; just. I do like Fox though.

Fox has looked good in the friendlies but I think Gallacher will get the nod. Maybe this time more for his "captaincy" attitude than any lack of confidence from Fox. Looks like a good problem to have tho' I've no idea whether Archie or Gallacher actually choose who plays. I suspect it will be Archie but I wouldn't be that sure.

btw Scully had another clean sheet on Saturday reportedly making one fine block to rescue the Pars a point.

I think everyone feels a little bit more confident when gallacher is in goals. Going on last season, gallacher would be the better option but I suppose fox deserves another chance and if he can regain his form from the start of last season then I'll be fine with that. I think fox will start the season as number 1 for the record.

I'm happy with either of them in goals. There's not much between them - Fox is perhaps more likely both to make an exceptional save but also to get his positioning wrong with Gallagher maybe being more consistent. Gallagher is definitely better at saving penalties and organising his defence.

My main criticism of Gallagher last season was that he tended to punt the ball up the park too often - Fox had better distribution though in fairness O'Donnell, Muirhead & Welsh were always keen to receive the ball and play it out but they didn't feature much as the season went on.

It's good that we have 2 good keepers competing for the number 1 spot.

I can't remember us having this much competition in that position since Murdoch and Nelson in the early 90s. Kevin Bud and Kenny Arthur probably competed quite well but I don't think either of them can hold a candle to the 2 keepers we have now.

I would definitely start with Gallagher though. After last season the jersey is his to lose.

Gallacher coming in for Fox was clearly important last season as our inexperience at the back was costing us goals -> points. He's a superb organiser (he'll give the back four pelters if they're not doing their job properly).

Fox was great in the promotion season and has hopefully learned a thing or 2 from Gallacher. It'd be better to have Fox starting in the longer term.

Gallacher all the way. Balatoni in particular improved immensely once he had someone barking orders with regards to his positioning and I think Muirhead will benefit from that as well (assuming we go with a Conrad/Aero centre half pairing). As much as Fox is a quality keeper, he doesn't command the back four the same way Gallacher does. Plus, Gallacher's individual performances alone merit him keeping his place.