Dundee Game

JaggyMad

Well after watching Sportscene, definite sending off in my opinion and someone please tell me that you wouldn't be shouting for it at the other end. I like Fox but that was utter stupidity and it will probably cost him his long term place in the team

Agree re Fox & would be shouting for the penalty at the other end but...

It's the kind of challenge that goes unpunished 99% of the time. A bit like the shirt tugging & blocking in the box. McPake decided to dive like Tom Daley after feeling contact but here's the thing. I bet you next week the exact same thing will happen in the box with a different ref & nothing will be given,.

In fact, I'm sure similar incidents went on in the Dundee box with blocking, pushing & shirt pulling during free kicks & corners into the box but nothing given.

I'm also willing to wager that Charleston will see an incident like that in next game he refs but doesn't give the penalty.

That's what frustrates fans. No consistency from refs,.

Give the penalty every time or not all.

My point was strictly the sending off, not the penalty. The penalty was soft in the extreme though big Danny seemed to accept the fact it had been awarded. Fair play to the big man, if Aero had been playing and McPake had done what he did to him, we could have been down to 9 men. I hate when players do that to other players. Totally uncalled for.

Just watched SPFL highlights on youtube. McPake is in the air before Seaborne gets close. As for Fox, he throws his arm out, I don't think it was deliberate.

Agreed.

No way is that violent conduct. Refs should just let situations calm down, hardly a mass brawl was it? This stupid rule about about raising your hands has gone too far. What about pointing your finger close to the opposition? That raising you hand but you're not sent off.

Agreed.

No way is that violent conduct. Refs should just let situations calm down, hardly a mass brawl was it? This stupid rule about about raising your hands has gone too far. What about pointing your finger close to the opposition? That raising you hand but you're not sent off.

The rule hasn't gone too far and hasn't changed for some time, it's pundits and commentators not knowing the rules. It is only violent conduct if the player uses "excessive force or brutality" yet people who should know better seem to think if you raise your hands at all then it's a red for violent conduct.

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person.

Violent conduct may occur either on the field of play or outside its boundaries, whether the ball is in play or not.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving violent conduct unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal.

The referee must send off the player guilty of violent conduct when the ball is next out of play.

Referees are reminded that violent conduct often leads to mass confrontation, therefore they must try to avert this with active intervention.

A player, substitute or substituted player who is guilty of violent conduct must be sent off

Based on the laws of the game I think an appeal would be successful. The club may not think it's worthwhile though as Gallacher is an able replacement.

It's hard to give a definite opinion on the penalty due to the camera angles, but I did remark prior to it on Saturday that Seaborne rarely challenges for a header without using his hands in some way. They're either on the back or the shoulders of the opposing player. I think we all expect to see a little shove now and again, but not to the extent that he relies on it.

Although I've seen a marked improvement in Fox these last few weeks (limited viewing tbh), I feel that PG is the better all-round keeper. That said, Archie made a bit of a statement by re-instating Scott and, given that his suspension is unlikely to be a particularly long one (?), I would expect to see him back in when his ban's over.

Really doesn't matter what anyone of us thinks. Ref gave a penalty and sent a Fox off. His decision is all that matters at the end of the day

That's true I suppose but it was just as true 40 plus hours ago.

I think if it had been an outfield player with, like Fox, no real previous we'd be less circumspect. If it was Lawless or Doolan we'd be more likely to be wanting an appeal to at least get the "violent conduct" reconsidered. Because it's Fox and we've a ready made replacement that many wanted to see as first choice he's getting the just a silly lad, should know better treatment.

• Like 1

Looked a soft penalty but you can see Seabourne has his arm around McPake at one point. McPake does dive to the ground to make the most of it, that along with his reaction towards Seabourne after the penalty is awarded means he should have been booked IMHO. You see tons of them not given, but like this one, you do see the odd one resulting in a penalty.

As for Fox. He shoves his hand out quite forcibly, it's not like it was just making a gesture, he was probably meaning to give the Dundee player a wee shove and didn't notice he was so small so smacked him in the face. :lol: Probably merited a yellow more than a red card.

Both pretty stupid.

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously in this thread and I missed it but I'm sure I heard on the BBC on Saturday that it now costs £1000 to appeal a decision.

Personally I thought Foxy was slightly unlucky and his arm was deflected up into the Dundee players face when he was actually trying to push the guy by the shoulder, but if he hadn't raised his hand in the first place none of this would matter.

Still not worth a grand to find out what the appeals committee think though.

McPake says in The Sun today that he was surprised when the penalty was awarded and also when Fox was sent off, even though he didn't see the incident himself. Work that one out!

Hmmm... maybe he has a version of Tourettes... that could explain why he jumped up, screamed at and taunted Seaborne when the penalty was awarded.

Happy enough with a point but slightly disappointed not to make the most of some decent chances in the first half. Really poor miss from Bannigan, looks as if he's shut his eyes and hoped for the best.

Having watched the highlights last night, I don't think we would have conceded the goal that we did had McMillan been on the pitch. In those situations, you want your full-backs to tuck in and Keenan didn't do that - he's standing beyond the edge of the box which allows the gap to develop for Wighton. Poor defending and an entirely avoidable goal which is disappointing.

No real complaints about the sending off - it's obviously very soft but Fox has been extremely silly to even give the referee a decision to make. Gallacher now in possession of the jersey and Fox really only has himself to blame.

If penalties are to be given for those sort of incidents, there would be ten every week. Not a penalty.

The rule hasn't gone too far and hasn't changed for some time, it's pundits and commentators not knowing the rules. It is only violent conduct if the player uses "excessive force or brutality" yet people who should know better seem to think if you raise your hands at all then it's a red for violent conduct.

Based on the laws of the game I think an appeal would be successful. The club may not think it's worthwhile though as Gallacher is an able replacement.

Exactly, ' excessive force or brutality' was not used by Fox, so why red?