Glasgow Warriors Leave Firhill

sigesige00

As for not being able to cope with crowds of 5,000 - there was 13,500 there on saturday, and it coped fine (though the free buses into the city centre helped with that).

Add in the fact that the leisure centre still has to function while games are ongoing and it's a logistical nightmare.

Neither the area nor the complex is geared up at all for an event the size of which was hosted at the weekend. The 7s themselves may have looked good and run well, but the entire leisure complex was sacrificed to make this happen. The entire sports centre and facilities were shut down, closed to the general public on Saturday (when I had hoped to use the swimming pool) and I assume Sunday as well. I know that the Warriors are not going to need quite the size of operation that was evident at the weekend, but if them being at Scotstoun is going to impinge on the publics' use of the lesuire facilities, I'm sure they are going to be getting grief from more than one angle.

For what its worth, I don't think this is up to the Warriors to sort out - GCC or Glasgow Life or whoever owns the facilities, has entered into an agreement for them to be tenants and they are going to have to sort out the logistics of how everything can function, because sacrificing the entire leisure complex is not an acceptable long term strategy.

Edited by MerryHell

Neither the area nor the complex is geared up at all for an event the size of which was hosted at the weekend. The 7s themselves may have looked good and run well, but the entire leisure complex was sacrificed to make this happen. The entire sports centre and facilities were shut down, closed to the general public on Saturday (when I had hoped to use the swimming pool) and I assume Sunday as well. I know that the Warriors are not going to need quite the size of operation that was evident at the weekend, but if them being at Scotstoun is going to impinge on the publics' use of the lesuire facilities, I'm sure they are going to be getting grief from more than one angle.

For what its worth, I don't think this is up to the Warriors to sort out - GCC or Glasgow Life or whoever owns the facilities, has entered into an agreement for them to be tenants and they are going to have to sort out the logistics of how everything can function, because sacrificing the entire leisure complex is not an acceptable long term strategy.

The leisure centre being shut this weekend was nothing to do with the number of spectators. There were nearly 200 players involved in the event, who all need room to warm up/change/relax between fixtures etc, etc. And that's not to mention the support staff, international media, youth teams and so on.

There will only be 50 players involved in Glasgow matches, and with only one fixture, they will arrive - warm up on the main pitch, play on the main pitch, eat in the Main Stand, and leave.

For our matches, the only facility other than the actual stadium that we will be using is the 3G pitch - which it is intended will be used for a club or school match before our own game. The leisure centre will not be affected from what I understand. The rest of the facilities we are using will be contained within the actual stadium, and from what I hear there wont be parking available within the ground for spectators (though how they will enforce this I don't yet know). I would also point out the disruption caused by the sevens at the weekend is far less than that which will be caused by the Commonwealth Games in 2 years time, and that hosting events there is kind of necessary in order to justify the expense of redeveloping the ground a few years ago.

Went by Scotstoun yesterday and the streets were packed with motors. It doesn't have the infrastructure to have a busy sports stadium located there.

God forbid people taking public transport to the games or even such a radical thing as getting your arse onto a bike. Why is it we have the obsession that we need to be able to drive to the very doorstep of where we want to go...