Rock And Roll

The Devil's Point

1) AC/DC in Dublin on the Black Ice Tour. Superb performance and also a kind of highly charged night for a lot of reasons. Also saw DC in the SECC a few years before that, but they were far better in Dublin.

2) Motley Crue at the Edinburgh Playhouse on the Theatre of Pain tour (going back a few years, and haircuts, here). Stunning stuff with Tommy Lee, and his enormous, er, drumkit stealing the show.

3) Status Quo at the Secc at some point during the last twenty years (might have done that one two or three times actually). One of the great regrets of my life was being slightly too young to see them at the Apollo. Love the Quo and still find them hilarious.

Heard a brilliant interview with the late Lux Interior of the Cramps, where he was saying that Rock and Roll, as opposed to rock or pop music, is to do with urgency, danger and folk music based on the Blues. He made the point that a lot of people who grow up too soon look back later and acknowledge that what they thought when they were younger was maybe actually right,

I could never grow my hair long enough to do it properly though. Always went too curly.

First of all I did do a stint as a Apprentice Sheet Metal worker for 3 years does that count as a gig?

I did see quite a few bands at the Apollo between 78 - 81, some were great: some not so. Among the best would probably be UFO, the Obsession tour unfortunately with Paul Chapman and not Michael Schenker on guitar. AC/DC with Bon Scott and Def Leppard supporting. Judas Priest with Iron Maiden ( a lot leather about that night). Others at the time included Rush, Queen, Van Halen, ZZ Top and even Journey at the Apollo. However, my favourite has to be the Black Crowes at the Barrowlands. What a great night but talk about being brought down to earth with a bang. As me and my mate YoYo got into a taxi afterwards, we asked the driver the Thistle score. " They got beat 7 nil by Aberdeen " came the reply. The only home game I missed that season!