Easily sortable by new manager, change of formation and five decent signings

Cults Jag

Despite liking Archie, I've never really rated him as a manager, and was always pleasantly surprised when we made, then stayed in the SPL and ultimately made the top 6 two season ago. Unfortunately he's clearly been found out now with an inability to inspire, communicate to fans (bland same old comments) and to adapt tactically, and so needs to be replaced now for the good of the club.

i think his persistence with a 4-2-3-1 formation when we've had no quality holding midfielders has been a big part of the problem, and we've become a soft touch as a result, with too many lightweights in the middle 2-3. 

I don't think the core of the squad is actually that bad, but there are passengers, and it clearly needs 4 or 5 signings of the O'Ware type - mid 20's with good quality and experience. However, they need to be played differently under a more inspiring and tactically astute manager, and I think 4-3-3, with flexibility in the front 3 would be the way to go with the players we have.

A decent team with options ( shown as / ) for some positions would be :

Keeper - Bell (should be good enough for this level)

Right Back - Elliot / New Signing (a decent right back should be easy to find)

Left Back - Penrice / Melbourne - don't actually know if ether are good enough, but unfair to judge Melbourne on one game at right back

Centre Backs - O'Ware, plus Keown / New Signing 

Midfield 3 - New Signing (defensive central player), Slater / McCarthy, Bannigan / Penrice (eternally optimistic about Bannigan !)

Front 3 - Storey, Doolan / New Signing, Erskine / New Signing - wide player 

This comes to five new signings, and doesn't include Storer, who may come good.

The players in the "not good enough" category for me would be McGinty, Gordon and Spittal (whom I want to like, but doesn't give enough when the team needs to battle to turn round the Keevins "sinking ship"). A new manager could cut our losses with these guys before the transfer window closes, or worse case they become squad / reserve players to at least fill the bench ! 

Anyway, glad to get that off my chest !! 

13 minutes ago, Cults Jag said:

Despite liking Archie, I've never really rated him as a manager, and was always pleasantly surprised when we made, then stayed in the SPL and ultimately made the top 6 two season ago. Unfortunately he's clearly been found out now with an inability to inspire, communicate to fans (bland same old comments) and to adapt tactically, and so needs to be replaced now for the good of the club.

i think his persistence with a 4-2-3-1 formation when we've had no quality holding midfielders has been a big part of the problem, and we've become a soft touch as a result, with too many lightweights in the middle 2-3. 

I don't think the core of the squad is actually that bad, but there are passengers, and it clearly needs 4 or 5 signings of the O'Ware type - mid 20's with good quality and experience. However, they need to be played differently under a more inspiring and tactically astute manager, and I think 4-3-3, with flexibility in the front 3 would be the way to go with the players we have.

A decent team with options ( shown as / ) for some positions would be :

Keeper - Bell (should be good enough for this level)

Right Back - Elliot / New Signing (a decent right back should be easy to find)

Left Back - Penrice / Melbourne - don't actually know if ether are good enough, but unfair to judge Melbourne on one game at right back

Centre Backs - O'Ware, plus Keown / New Signing 

Midfield 3 - New Signing (defensive central player), Slater / McCarthy, Bannigan / Penrice (eternally optimistic about Bannigan !)

Front 3 - Storey, Doolan / New Signing, Erskine / New Signing - wide player 

This comes to five new signings, and doesn't include Storer, who may come good.

The players in the "not good enough" category for me would be McGinty, Gordon and Spittal (whom I want to like, but doesn't give enough when the team needs to battle to turn round the Keevins "sinking ship"). A new manager could cut our losses with these guys before the transfer window closes, or worse case they become squad / reserve players to at least fill the bench ! 

Anyway, glad to get that off my chest !! 

Ladies and gentlemen i give you thistle's new mamager, you make it seem so easy. I agree with the sentiments but we need much more that 5 players and a change in tactics.

Any new manager has to, first and foremost, repair confidence. That team yesterday are bereft of it. Clearly our current mgt team are not inspiring them. 18 months and it's just not working. Any new manager has no convince the players to buy into their ideas, training, system etc cos this squad aren't buying into archies style (if even he knows what that is). Gerreee should see it cos he tried it and failed along with Whyte. Sad times

I think the main point I'm trying to make is that the situation is salvageable if we make a change now, and set the team up differently.

i agree that it is not as easy as it sounds, and a new manager needs to rebuild confidence and change the team culture.

However, very doable by the right guy.

Hell no. You?

I can (and do) manage people, varying degree's of success but football players are a breed apart. I've three pals, one closer than others, who all played to varying degree's, all pro's, all international caps, only 1 went into management. The other two wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick. All say most players, are tricky, belligerant, obstructive feckers unless the team is winning and on a roll, even then the players not getting a game try their best to unsettle things.

Hard job, but just cos we'd not get a sniff and even if we did we'd be crap doesn't mean we can't have our say and certainly doesn't mean we can't see the writing on the wall with this current set up.

You fancy it yourself?

Edited by Guest
Shooking spooling........