It’s our club, let’s celebrate it.

mad-jag

Certain elements in our club’s recent history have been fairly divisive, be it Archie’s stay or go scenario, peoples’ views on the board and a possible takeover, the treatment/perceived treatment of Erskine and Doolan or the function of the Trust to name a few. 

We are a club rich in history, albeit mediocre most of the time. That doesn’t matter. We are the wee fish in the big, murky Glasgow pond. We are not glory hunters. We are not often in crowds of many thousands. We very rarely make it to Hampden and don’t get to follow Thistle in Europe more than once a generation.  What that does though, is make success even more special when It arises. 

We know we won’t sign world beaters. We don’t expect players to be perfect. We do expect them to give their all for our team, bust a gut, and show us they want to ply in our Red and Yellow (or rainbow stripes!). If they do that, we will stand by them. If they have to have a bit of eccentricity along the way, then even better. 

While watching Thistle certainly ages you, it also keeps you young at heart. The memories, the good times we have all been part of in Firhill, Peterhead, Forfar, love street, Forthbank to name a few. We all crave that bit more success, of course we do. We all know supporting Thistle is much more than that though. It’s about loyalty, family, friends, passion, hope, fear, disappointment and just sometimes that unforgettable moment of glory. 

Think back a few years to that championship wining team. The togetherness of the support and the team, the victories the team ground out, and the atmosphere the supporters generated in return. Just one of a number of memorable periods to be a Jag. 

When you put everything to one side - all of the personal squabbles and individual shortcomings, every one of us wants to be part of something special involving Thistle. 

Sometimes football can be far too serious. I for one would love there to be a game this season where we sell out Firhill. A full stadium where we all raise the roof, uninterrupted, for 90 minutes. Let’s pick a game - Not because we are playing Morton, Dundee or whoever it may be in a league game, but because we want to get together and celebrate our club.

It would take a bit of work for us all, encouraging friends and family who have lapsed, occasional attendees and maybe even some newbies to come along to one, specific game. I for one would be up for the challenge, what about you? 
  • Like 5

Great post, ran out of likes, let me know what game you decide on, I've a number of lapsed friends who don't go anymore and am sure I could get them to go. Especially a one off for a specific reason. Perhaps, and I'm assuming your post means your chief organiser, approach the club, perhaps suggest a series of media releases for your chosen game and have the club give a donation to a local charity, from every "extra" paying customer. ie. If we were averaging 3000 crowds any income from gates over that would count as a donation? Just a thought.....