Donald Dewar

The Devil's Point

When I used to inhabit the glorious, sun soaked, leafy streets of Kelvinside, I wrote my MP a letter. I just asked if I could get a ticket for Prime Ministers Questions.

My dad took two calls from the then Secretary of State for Scotland and had to tell him I was out and to call back another time. Third time lucky and the man himself on the phone. Invite down to Whitehall.

Turned up with a hangover, and expected to get a ticket from one of the receptionists or something, but I got told to wait. Anyway, the big man comes into the foyer (and he was tall by the way - I'm probably six foot exactly, but he soared over me) and calls out my name. Probably the best two hours of my life then occurred. Saw all the offices, got driven down Whitehall in an official car with police outriders and eveyrthing.

But the best bit was to get to stand at the despatch box in the chamber. Donald had such wit about him that he knew to give me a couple of minutes peace there. It was awesome to stand where Gladstone and Churchill stood. I did make a quick speech, but the content of it will never be known.

The chamber is tiny by the way. Looks much bigger on TV.

He then spent at least another hour showing me around the palace, and talked about architecture and stuff. I didn't really understand what he was talking about, but I liked the fact he thought I did.

So that was my experience of meeting Donald Dewar. He would have voted No, but above all, he would have respected your right to choose.

Cast your vote wisely.

He and Tony Blair pushed through (in secret) changes to the Scottish/English maritime boundaries at the time of the Devolution referendum in 1999 to bring several oil fields into "English waters", to make eventual independence a less attractive proposition. The new boundary extends from the mouth of the Tweed to a point in the North Sea due east from Arbroath.

It seems the public face of Donald Dewar bore only passing resemblance to the political schemer that he was behind the scenes.

I'm very glad you enjoyed your day out though.

Christmas cards are nice too.

Edited by ScottyDFA
  • Like 1

In the following election 1992 the labour and liberal vote in Scotland dropped by 3 and 6% respectively. The conservative vote rose (to about 750,000 votes) in Scotland and they took a seat from labour(1,1million and 49seats), returning 11MPs, and contrary to the predictions of a tory wipeout, with english MPs forced in to the scottish office. This was the first election since the introduction, and passing of legislation abolishing the poll tax. Turnout in Scotland for westminster elections has never reached the 75% it did then since.

The SNP's vote rose too substantially, by 7%, (630,000, 3seats although that still left them substantially more than the "7points behind the labour party" Salmond suggests here) but has remained the same at westminster ever since at roughly 20%. It gained them no more seats in '92 but from '97 onwards their rough average of 500,000 votes has regularly returned 6seats.

At holyrood, where turnout has only once(the first election) been significantly higher than 50%, the SNP have doubled their % share of the popular vote since 2003, are in majority "government", and have brought a referendum which pollsters say puts the union very much in the balance. This is with receiving the highest number of votes in their party's history at any one election in 2011, which was over 100,000 less votes than labour received at the 2010 UK election.

Mr. Dewar was indeed a kindly and highly intelligent man. I too met him a couple of times. But, his politics were at times, crucial times, naive. The statue in Buchanan St. hails him "father of a nation". I've often been tempted to take an inky to and add "father of a nation state".

On this youtube evidence, I'm afraid, the tory saw it right.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

In the following election 1992 the labour and liberal vote in Scotland dropped by 3 and 6% respectively. The conservative vote rose (to about 750,000 votes) in Scotland and they took a seat from labour(1,1million and 49seats), returning 11MPs, and contrary to the predictions of a tory wipeout, with english MPs forced in to the scottish office. This was the first election since the introduction, and passing of legislation abolishing the poll tax. Turnout in Scotland for westminster elections has never reached the 75% it did then since.

The SNP's vote rose too substantially, by 7%, (630,000, 3seats although that still left them substantially more than the "7points behind the labour party" Salmond suggests here) but has remained the same at westminster ever since at roughly 20%. It gained them no more seats in '92 but from '97 onwards their rough average of 500,000 votes has regularly returned 6seats.

At holyrood, where turnout has only once(the first election) been significantly higher than 50%, the SNP have doubled their % share of the popular vote since 2003, are in majority "government", and have brought a referendum which pollsters say puts the union very much in the balance. This is with receiving the highest number of votes in their party's history at any one election in 2011, which was over 100,000 less votes than labour received at the 2010 UK election.

Mr. Dewar was indeed a kindly and highly intelligent man. I too met him a couple of times. But, his politics were at times, crucial times, naive. The statue in Buchanan St. hails him "father of a nation". I've often been tempted to take an inky to and add "father of a nation state".

On this youtube evidence, I'm afraid, the tory saw it right.

Another very interesting post. Lots of good stuff in there.

Me and pal robbed Roy Jenkin's wine rack. I smoked one of his cigars behind the Mormon Church on Julian Avenue, Kelvinside.

The start of the Alliance, and the Roy Jenkins by-election victory was very formative for me. They kept having loads of parties, so there were endless opportunties to steal wine, and kiss older women. It was fabulous, those were the days....

I'll let the people decide.

Not good enough, is it? I'm sorry, but I don't care to have my integrity questioned on a public forum like this without the insinuation being backed up.

You need to justify you're accusation, or this behaviour will be brought to the attention of the forum's administrators.

I'm all ears...

Edited by ScottyDFA