Supporters Of Different Teams Sitting Side By Side.

B.C.G. JAG

I went to the MCG in Melbourne recently to see the Collingwood Magpies vs North Melbourne. This was a game that held little interest for most Magpies supporters, and only about half the stadium was filled. But that was still just shy of 54,000 people. The following and previous games were both sell outs.

Now here's the thing. I don't think I saw one police officer at any point. Nobody was being searched on the way in. The Stewards were very friendly and helpful. All the fans were mixed together in the stadium, seated together but all focusing their energies on what was happening on the pitch and not each other. All this despite a lot of folk, myself included, taking advantage of the fact that you could take a tray of beers back to your seat.

I headed into the city later for a drink. No-one cared about the scarf that I had on, and I didn't see or hear of any violence anywhere in the City.

Maybe some of our ex-pat supporters can shed some light on the cultural differences that allow for such a laid back approach by the authorities towards sport events over there. Fans there are clearly very passionate, almost religiously, about their teams but this doesn't seem to erupt in the same intolerance we see all the time here.

Knowing how badly Scottish football is dying on it's backside it was actually a bit depressing to reflect on our game when faced with how healthy and vibrant a game can be when everyone acts like an adult.

It's maybe too big a question, but what is wrong with us culturally that we can't have what the Aussies have? Can anything be done to change our attitudes and in the process probably save the game? Things are obviously not as bad here as they used to be but the idea of opposing fans sitting side by side still sounds like fantasy. Sadly I fear any real change in our culture is generations away and probably too far off to see the game here flourish again.

The matchday experience here often leaves you feeling like a criminal the way you're herded around by the police, your child's bag searched, the segregation of supporters and the absence of drink. Never having been to a rugby game at Firhill, I'm interested how a lot folk on here enjoy the way rugby fans are treated with some maturity. Would it help if we were all just treated as adults by the authorities and allowed to mix together and have a drink at games or is that just a risk too far?

Because the fans are not idiots, they go for the sport, the banter and the beer and all go home happy. I went to a fair few AFL games at the MCG and Telstra and the worst thing I ever saw was a couple of guys a few rows apart shouting at each other but after a couple of more personal insults they both laughed it off.

I think some rugby league teams in England have 'ends' but in all other sports I can think of segregation doesn't exist.

With the Warriors at Firhill its quite funny because Rocksteady are obviously used to doing football games so march in unison up stairs and try and look menacing.

at the uefa final at hampden a couple of years back, espanyol and sevilla fans were side by side in the section i was in. good game, great atmosphere and minimum polis presence. there's no historic rivalry or bad feelings between these teams and it might have been different if it was, say, betis and sevilla. i can't figure why policing at firhill couldn't be organised on a similar basis. airdrie and dundee, yes police presence required but when ross bring 63.5 docile supporters to firhill i can't help thinking that the costs to the club of funding polis overtime is uneccessary.

It's maybe too big a question, but what is wrong with us culturally that we can't have what the Aussies have?

Sun. That seems trite, but I've watched an amateur regional select side being seriously gubbed by a Hamburg SV reserve team on a balmy summer evening in the north of Germany, and it was a calm, enjoyable experience, even for those of us with local loyalties.

Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth.

If you treat people as though you expect them to misbehave, you probably increase the chances of them misbehaving. I think the proper term is "self-fulfilling prophecy".

I agree. Many years ago my late father went to Celtic Park (during the days of terracing) and sat among home supporters. He was an Aberdeen supporter, and at some stage someone said to him (in an Irish accent), "I think you're an Aberdeen supporter." He was. No-one gave him any bother (apart from the boys offering to look after his car, of course!). Those fans were passing around whisky, too. Was this because better behaviour was expected of people paying more to be seated? Is that what all-seated stadiums were expected to achieve?

at the uefa final at hampden a couple of years back, espanyol and sevilla fans were side by side in the section i was in. good game, great atmosphere and minimum polis presence. there's no historic rivalry or bad feelings between these teams and it might have been different if it was, say, betis and sevilla. i can't figure why policing at firhill couldn't be organised on a similar basis. airdrie and dundee, yes police presence required but when ross bring 63.5 docile supporters to firhill i can't help thinking that the costs to the club of funding polis overtime is uneccessary.

Exactly. One of the attractions of lower-league football is striking up acquaintanceship with supporters of other sides.

It is worth remembering that, AFAIK, there was no problem for Jags fans leaving I**x when the Jags got a draw there, although fans of both sides were walking across each others' paths. The police didn't see it as necessary to keep a watch on exiting fans, either. Obviously, it wasn't necessary that time in a known hotbed of bad behaviour.

As Norman said, it's down to expectations, and there has to be a suspicion that police estimates of their necessary presence are fuelled at least partly by thoughts of overtime and extra charges.