The Specials Secc: 18 October 2011

Meister Jag

Does anyone know if there's a pre-gig bash on before the concert - thinking Pivo Pivo or somewhere near the SECC? Would be nice to be able to get into the mood (so to speak B) ) in the company of like-minded Special's fans; plus if there's free pizza on the go then I'm your new best mate :thumbsup2:

Think the after-show party is Maggie Mays but I'll leave that one to the kids and those who've got Wednesday aff work!

Absolute pandemonium. Another belter of a gig!

Pivo was jumping before the gig (nae pizza for me :mad2: ) but great atmosphere. And as for the gig itself, what can I say: well worth the 2-year wait and as mental as ever. (Still hate the SECC as a venue though; glorified cow shed!)

Too old and knackered for the after-gig party and even made the last train home for a cup of tea (defo' showing my age). All in all a great night.

• Members

Tough luck Andy. After the Beat gig, I thought it would be hard to even come close to that in terms of atmosphere and enjoyment of the gig, but The Specials brought it right back up there and in temrs of enjoyment I'd find it hard to separate both gigs. The best I've been to in ages. I like both bands but I wouldn't say I'm a great fan of either, but live they are fantastic and I think the crowd that go to these gigs only adds to the atmosphere. Never having been to a Specials gig before, I was a bit worried about the atmosphere in the hall prior to the main event with lots of NF type Skinheads pushing their way through the audience and a fight breaking out at one point, but I needn't have worried, as soon as the band came on it was everybody happy and just enjoying themselves. Nobody worried that you occassionally jumped up and down on their toes!

Honestly, if you're reading this and not particularly a fan of either of these two bands, the next time they come to a gig near you, go. You wont regret it!

I was at the beat gig the other week, and like you i had a ball. :thumbsup2:

I've seen the specials before, but it was at T in the park on the main stage, so hard to judge really, no doubt in a smaller venue they would be great though.

A few years ago I saw Madness at the SECC, and although i hate the venue, it was another brill night.

Any SKA night is always great fun, Bad Manners at the ferry/cathouse springs to mind too.

I'm going to try to get along to one of the nights in Pivo Pivo mentioned on here, and the Afro Caribbean Network Centre. Hope to see a few jaggo's. :P

Tough luck Andy. After the Beat gig, I thought it would be hard to even come close to that in terms of atmosphere and enjoyment of the gig, but The Specials brought it right back up there and in temrs of enjoyment I'd find it hard to separate both gigs. The best I've been to in ages. I like both bands but I wouldn't say I'm a great fan of either, but live they are fantastic and I think the crowd that go to these gigs only adds to the atmosphere. Never having been to a Specials gig before, I was a bit worried about the atmosphere in the hall prior to the main event with lots of NF type Skinheads pushing their way through the audience and a fight breaking out at one point, but I needn't have worried, as soon as the band came on it was everybody happy and just enjoying themselves. Nobody worried that you occassionally jumped up and down on their toes!

Honestly, if you're reading this and not particularly a fan of either of these two bands, the next time they come to a gig near you, go. You wont regret it!

Willjag

Thankfully missed the fight and lost my weans who charged down the front early on leaving me to dance alone. Loads of skinheads there but we come in all shapes and sizes and most of us are of the cuddly sort! It's what attracts most skinheads to 2-Tone and to ska nights etc.

I thought the band were seriously blown away by the reaction they got from the crowd and it was am absolute cracker of a night. My wife got us tickets as a Christmas present having got me tickets for the 2009 Carling Academy show (also f****** superb - smaller venue and bouncing).

Also thought The Beat were well worth the money. Shame about the small'ish crowd; but again, what a gig.

• Members

Yep, most of the skinheads i bumped into whilst bopping around just smiled and got on with it. My wife and I started off around 10 deep from the front but after the gig started we found ourselves getting further and further back to about a third to half of the way back from the stage and wondering how we got there!!! loads of different Scottish accents and full of folk that just wanted to put their arms round you and jump around with you.

I dont think the Beat gig was publicised very well unfortunately. I hope it doesn't put them off coming back. Met an old buddy on the way out on Tuesday night and mentioned the Beat gig to him but he hadn't heard about it. Went to see them through in Edinburgh a few months back (as I mentioned before I think!), and there was a much bigger crowd, but the atmosphere just wasn't the same. But then again maybe it was because we were right down at the front of the stage at the Apollo!:D

Following the shambles that was the Echo and the Bunnymen gig at the Concert Hall last month, these last two gigs haverestored my faith in live gigs again. Desperate for the next one now!

Yep, most of the skinheads i bumped into whilst bopping around just smiled and got on with it. My wife and I started off around 10 deep from the front but after the gig started we found ourselves getting further and further back to about a third to half of the way back from the stage and wondering how we got there!!! loads of different Scottish accents and full of folk that just wanted to put their arms round you and jump around with you.

I dont think the Beat gig was publicised very well unfortunately. I hope it doesn't put them off coming back. Met an old buddy on the way out on Tuesday night and mentioned the Beat gig to him but he hadn't heard about it. Went to see them through in Edinburgh a few months back (as I mentioned before I think!), and there was a much bigger crowd, but the atmosphere just wasn't the same. But then again maybe it was because we were right down at the front of the stage at the Apollo!:D

Following the shambles that was the Echo and the Bunnymen gig at the Concert Hall last month, these last two gigs haverestored my faith in live gigs again. Desperate for the next one now!

If you like ska and a jump about, look out for local band Esperanza who play the Pivo Pivo night occasionally - check out this forum for details. Missing Words who's the organiser of the Pivo nights generally posts on this forum to advertise; plus you get free pizza! A few of us - varying ages but all Jags fans who are into the music - have started going to these nights (2nd Friday in the month but not sure about November). Think I've mentioned this night to Andy in previous posts.

The Specials was seriously good fun and I'm glad I took the Wednesday off - sore legs etc. Well worth the money IMO and, like you, I was blown away by The Beat (who've been getting big licks on my ipod). I thought their sound was still as fresh as ever and Ranking Roger is a really great front man / toaster.

Quick story about Tuesday night was that I bumped into a guy I was at school with 34 years ago who said he recognised my head from behind! FFS I know I've got a big head but it's hardly freak show stuff!

If you like ska and a jump about, look out for local band Esperanza who play the Pivo Pivo night occasionally - check out this forum for details. Missing Words who's the organiser of the Pivo nights generally posts on this forum to advertise; plus you get free pizza! A few of us - varying ages but all Jags fans who are into the music - have started going to these nights (2nd Friday in the month but not sure about November). Think I've mentioned this night to Andy in previous posts.

The Specials was seriously good fun and I'm glad I took the Wednesday off - sore legs etc. Well worth the money IMO and, like you, I was blown away by The Beat (who've been getting big licks on my ipod). I thought their sound was still as fresh as ever and Ranking Roger is a really great front man / toaster.

Quick story about Tuesday night was that I bumped into a guy I was at school with 34 years ago who said he recognised my head from behind! FFS I know I've got a big head but it's hardly freak show stuff!

just checked the glasgow ska train facebook page.

says there isn't an event november but there is a xmas ska night in december with esperanza.

hope to see a few of you there :thumbsup2:

edited to add - think i saw esperanza a couple of years ago in kelvingrove as part of the west end festival

Edited by andyconnor

• Members

I'll maybe keep a look out for this and see if the wife fancies giving it a try some time. :thumbsup2:

Guys

Pretty sure that Esperanza are playing the Garage (or is it the Garage 2?) sometime in November, I'm sure that someone will post with further details and can't imagine this one would be too dear. I bought their CD at one of their gigs and well worth a fiver. I honestly don't think I've seen them put on a bad show.

If you like the madness of ska (bad pun intended) there are quite a few good Scots bands on the go just now - check out Bombskare and Big Fat Panda on You Tube, both are worth going to see. There's also another band called Captain Slackships something or other and they seem to be team handed. However, I always seem to catch the tail end of their set. A mate has said they're okay...

Maybe bump into you both at some stage.

Cheers