We're All In This Together

Blackpool Jags

I'm sick and tired of this type of headline, and the Tories' hypocrisy of trying to make us believe we're all in this together.

Politicians and unions have criticised the £963,000 bonus package awarded to Royal Bank of Scotland boss Stephen Hester as being "out of touch".

The £963,000 worth of shares will be awarded to Hester on top of his £1.2 million salary

A tale of two attitudes:

"Antonio Horta-Osorio, chief executive of part-nationalised Lloyds Banking Group, has announced he would not take his annual bonus of up to £2.4 million following a volatile period for the banking giant.

It has been suggested that Barclays boss Bob Diamond could receive a payout of up to £10 million in the coming bonus season."

http://www.channel4.com/news/outrage-at-rbs-bosss-bonus-payout

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite happy for top executives to get bonuses providing they have delivered measurable success - eg increased share price, increased profits, stuff like that

...which, according to media analysts, Hester has signally failed to do. But, the bonus machine continues to pump obscene amounts of lucre his way.

...which, according to media analysts, Hester has signally failed to do. But, the bonus machine continues to pump obscene amounts of lucre his way.

One of Hester's first tasks on taking office was to stop the staff bonus payment system as he apparently couldn't be seen to award inefficiency. So surely some double-standards and hypocrisy there.

Job losses in RBS now stand at 20,600 with quite a few of those affected now claiming state benefit. Former employees and tax payers are being shafted from all angles. When challenged the Tories and their lapdogs claim it's all New Labour's fault as they appointed him - as they did when Fred Goodwin walked off into the sunset with his obscene pension pay off. So there were no government rep's on the board of bank governors that sanctioned this bonus payment.

Cue a smokescreen of "benefit claimants are bankrupting the country" Daily Mail headlines, which will please some on this forum . A nice gesture would be for Hester to give his bonus money to charity but hardly likely IMO as this isn't about morality. A classic case of the establishment looking after one of its own.

I'm sick and tired of this type of headline, and the Tories' hypocrisy of trying to make us believe we're all in this together.

Politicians and unions have criticised the £963,000 bonus package awarded to Royal Bank of Scotland boss Stephen Hester as being "out of touch".

The £963,000 worth of shares will be awarded to Hester on top of his £1.2 million salary

A tale of two attitudes:

"Antonio Horta-Osorio, chief executive of part-nationalised Lloyds Banking Group, has announced he would not take his annual bonus of up to £2.4 million following a volatile period for the banking giant.

It has been suggested that Barclays boss Bob Diamond could receive a payout of up to £10 million in the coming bonus season."

http://www.channel4....ss-bonus-payout

While there are many children die for the diseases which can be easily cured by 10 pounds, the financial elites receive a huge amount of bonuses. Capitalism is crazy and obsolete social system. We need urgentlly abolish this system, and establish a society based on human needs and social equality. For that we must build a real World Communist Party.

Most recent 3 month profit was £2 billion compared to a £1.6 billion loss in the same period last year. Don't know much about business but that looks like an improvement to me.

What is convieniently missing from your argument is that it was the previous Labour government who negotiated this mans salary and bonuses.

Most recent 3 month profit was £2 billion compared to a £1.6 billion loss in the same period last year. Don't know much about business but that looks like an improvement to me.

What is convieniently missing from your argument is that it was the previous Labour government who negotiated this mans salary and bonuses.

First point - true as that is - is not what Hester is directly employed to do (seemingly); the analysts made that point and credited others with the turnaround. But, I'll readily admit, like yourself, that I don't know much about business; just picked up on the opposition to this bonus award from Finance Sector analysts who stated why they objected while most of what they said went over my head.

The second point is an embarrassment to myself and thousands of other Labour members. Blair & Brown were Tories in all but name, but the stench of their deeds lingers on. I despair.

Fester has apparently handed his dosh back. It will be intereresting to see what now follows - end of contract termination bonus or increased pension fund payments. Hopefully someone will be keeping an eye on this one; but I've no doubt there will be some form of performance-related award on offer; or maybe just a golden thank you for not just walking away.

First point - true as that is - is not what Hester is directly employed to do (seemingly); the analysts made that point and credited others with the turnaround. But, I'll readily admit, like yourself, that I don't know much about business; just picked up on the opposition to this bonus award from Finance Sector analysts who stated why they objected while most of what they said went over my head.

The second point is an embarrassment to myself and thousands of other Labour members. Blair & Brown were Tories in all but name, but the stench of their deeds lingers on. I despair.

but you still voted for them even the third time :no:

Fester has apparently handed his dosh back. It will be intereresting to see what now follows - end of contract termination bonus or increased pension fund payments. Hopefully someone will be keeping an eye on this one; but I've no doubt there will be some form of performance-related award on offer; or maybe just a golden thank you for not just walking away.

No, thats ALL politicians that get that

but you still voted for them even the third time :no:

...always have and always will. Why? To keep out the abomination that rejoices under the nomenclature of "Conservative & Unionist Party". I would rather eat a whole tramp, live and uncooked, washed down with a 10 litre vat of hu n's vomit, lick my lips and say "lovely jubbly, can I have some more please?" than vote Tory.

Blair a Tory? YES! Brown a Tory? GET A ******* GRIP!!!

...always have and always will. Why? To keep out the abomination that rejoices under the nomenclature of "Conservative & Unionist Party". I would rather eat a whole tramp, live and uncooked, washed down with a 10 litre vat of hu n's vomit, lick my lips and say "lovely jubbly, can I have some more please?" than vote Tory.

so you binned that thing about helping people and principles then :no:

Blair a Tory? YES! Brown a Tory? GET A ******* GRIP!!!

I based that on a few things, not least the week or so after Brown took over from Blair he invited Th*tcher round to No. 10 for coffee and a chat, just as Blair had done upon his own accession. No decent person could stoop that low without being Tory-minded in my opinion.

I based that on a few things, not least the week or so after Brown took over from Blair he invited Th*tcher round to No. 10 for coffee and a chat, just as Blair had done upon his own accession. No decent person could stoop that low without being Tory-minded in my opinion.

'New Labour' and the Tories play the same game. Realising that is a bit like admitting your weans are ugly.

Blackpool!!!! I think you are being disingenious here!! yes I hate that female as much as other folk who do! But Brown done it as a political stunt, which i didnt agree with, saying that he wasnt going to change course!! Dopesnt make him a Tory!! The man was a PR disaster as PM, but he has decency about him, Tories dont.

Blackpool!!!! I think you are being disingenious here!! yes I hate that female as much as other folk who do! But Brown done it as a political stunt, which i didnt agree with, saying that he wasnt going to change course!! Dopesnt make him a Tory!! The man was a PR disaster as PM, but he has decency about him, Tories dont.

Fair enough, Joe. I think there were elements to Brown that set him apart from the Tories, more so in his earlier days in my view. The stunt involving the maggon was a bridge too far in my book, and that of other Labour traditionalists too.

Brown's accession was the perfect time for him to demonstrate that he was different from the Thatcherite, Blair, and to openly distance himself from Blairism as a distorted creed. However, it was more of the same: putting the interests of big business first, being openly cold (if not downright hostile) to the Trade Unions and traditional Labour voters, keeping that dog, Murdoch, sweet and craving the establishment's approval as a worthy statesman etc. These were the hallmarks of a Tory, something which he did nothing to dispel, and so he attracted - and not without some justification - dissent from the ranks of traditional voters and many party activists alike.

In short, he tried to be another Tony Blair and paid the price for that. So comparisons with Blair and Blairism aren't that wide of the mark; and Blairism was synonymous with Th*tcherism. That's how I see it anyway.

Fair enough, Joe. I think there were elements to Brown that set him apart from the Tories, more so in his earlier days in my view. The stunt involving the maggon was a bridge too far in my book, and that of other Labour traditionalists too.

Brown's accession was the perfect time for him to demonstrate that he was different from the Thatcherite, Blair, and to openly distance himself from Blairism as a distorted creed. However, it was more of the same: putting the interests of big business first, being openly cold (if not downright hostile) to the Trade Unions and traditional Labour voters, keeping that dog, Murdoch, sweet and craving the establishment's approval as a worthy statesman etc. These were the hallmarks of a Tory, something which he did nothing to dispel, and so he attracted - and not without some justification - dissent from the ranks of traditional voters and many party activists alike.

In short, he tried to be another Tony Blair and paid the price for that. So comparisons with Blair and Blairism aren't that wide of the mark; and Blairism was synonymous with Th*tcherism. That's how I see it anyway.

I would agree with most of what you say! Unfortunately! As Lord Derry once said about Blair, "He didnt want to be Labour Party leader, he just wanted to be Prime Minister" As we both know, Blair WAS NOT a natural Labour leader, although he was an electoral success.He missed so many opportunities to really make a difference.Iraq should have buried him, but the English, mainly, loved him.

I would agree with most of what you say! Unfortunately! As Lord Derry once said about Blair, "He didnt want to be Labour Party leader, he just wanted to be Prime Minister" As we both know, Blair WAS NOT a natural Labour leader, although he was an electoral success.He missed so many opportunities to really make a difference.Iraq should have buried him, but the English, mainly, loved him.

Agreed. :happy2:

you keep kidding yourself on then :thumbsup2: