Fao All Forum Users

Guest mod4

Guest mod4

It's pretty clear that we've had a divergence of opinion to do with the use of the swear filter. This is my tuppenceworth.

The admin are in a very difficult situation in so far as anything associated with sectarian connotations is concerned. With ever increasing litigation against people who post things on online fora, and more pertinently site administrators often getting complaints from outside onlookers, they really do have to be careful about what they do and don't allow.

When it comes to "huns" and "tims" etc, it's a tough one, and we can all sympathise with those for whom these are just as plain derogatory terms as "Scumdee" or "Sheep shaggers" etc. There are indeed a lot of fora that don't attempt to censor it, and true to form, they usually get away with it. The problem is we can't guarantee that we will.

It's worth pointing out that the We Are Thistle forum is actually hosted by the spare Pie and Bovril server. P&B have, in the past, had problems with people actually taking legal action against the site administrator for failing to take down posts deemed defamatory or otherwise in breach of the law. They recently took the decision to ban several sectarian words, and they adopt a 3 strikes and you're out policy with respect to the use of sectarian language, except when the context makes clear it's not in the derogatory sense (for example, if there was a topic ABOUT Attila the h*n or Tim Henman, no action would be taken).

Now obviously an all-Thistle forum has a different kind of community dimension to Pie and Bovril, but given that the P&B lot have done us a favour by getting us space on a very reliable server (as far as I'm aware at little to no extra cost to the admins) it means that we have to make sure we return the favour by not doing anything that could cause problems for them. If that means needing to put a few words on a swear filter, it's a relatively small price to pay.

I'm personally not comfortable with it, but I can completely understand why the admins have done what they've done. For a lot of Thistle fans it might seem overzealous, but I can assure you that the intentions aren't of that mould.

I hope this has helped to clear things up a bit. We're always open to a friendly ear and will happily explain why we take a specific course of action.

Cheers

mod4

I prefer the word f.e.c.k (with an E)

But I got my baws booted for using it, presumably because Mr Tim Feck the H** tried to sue P&B a while ago.

Feck is ok. It was on Father Ted anyway. Why did the "h" word get by the filter, I wonder ?

Solution seems obvious to me. Henceforth we can refer to the gruesome twosome as Attilas and Henmans :rolleyes:

Anyway, given that both claim to be uttelry disassociated from secterianism and that fans of each refer to the other by the same name then ipso facto use of the dreaded "h" and "t" word can't possibly be sectarian. Can it? Or is it just different when other people use it?