Mountaineering Deaths

The Devil's Point

There are lots of ways that people can feel freedom. Whether its walking a dog, stitching a scarf or walking to the highest peaks, freedom to move as you please, do as you want, well.

Does anyone actually have a problem with people dying in the mountains. Look, we know the risks and make the calculations ok

My big worry in todays world is about the total lack of action. I feel people spend too much time in front of the telly and don't get up and get out. The only way to a happy life, one you will be pleased with on your death beds, is the the outdoor life imo. Just my opinion.

I took a big fall in the Cairngorms about 10 years ago. Was extremely luckly to walk away with cuts and bruises and shock that went on for ages. I've never gone back to climbing at that level again but as I get older I don't think I was stupid to do that.

No regrets.

i lost my brother to a hill walking accident last summer.

seem to see similar accidents on the news all the time now.

he loved hill walking and was attempting to do all the munros, knew the risks, but it's one of they things you think will never happen to you i guess. i go walking up the hills at old kilpatrick now and then, but would never think of tackling the cairngorms or similar.

i lost my brother to a hill walking accident last summer.

seem to see similar accidents on the news all the time now.

he loved hill walking and was attempting to do all the munros, knew the risks, but it's one of they things you think will never happen to you i guess. i go walking up the hills at old kilpatrick now and then, but would never think of tackling the cairngorms or similar.

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your brother Andy. A part of me wishes I hadn't posted that now, but in a way its what I was trying to say.

If someone dies in an accident then surely it is better that it happens when they are doing something they love. We will all meet our end, and it must be better to die in the mountains than in a hospital ward. I feel guilty reading that as I survived my accident and your brother didn't.

Risk is life affirming though. Living on the edge is what makes people interesting.

• Like 1