Sopcast & Windows 8

Sam Leitch Loyal

Just got a Windows 8 (not by choice) laptop and installed Sopcast.

When I try to open a stream I'm told "Unknown error, check network connection."

I've checked Windows Defender (firewall) and set it to allow Sopcast to run private and public. I've also permitted access via Zone Alarm as well as running the diagnostic on Sopcast's start-up screen which says everything is ok.

Any thought, advice, or help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

Just got a Windows 8 (not by choice) laptop and installed Sopcast.

When I try to open a stream I'm told "Unknown error, check network connection."

I've checked Windows Defender (firewall) and set it to allow Sopcast to run private and public. I've also permitted access via Zone Alarm as well as running the diagnostic on Sopcast's start-up screen which says everything is ok.

Any thought, advice, or help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Don't know why you say not by choice there is nothing wrong with windows 8 other than it looks different and people are too lazy to change.

Anyway windows defender is not a firewall it is anti spyware/malware software. Your running zone alarm as well which is powerful software and will block everything if you don't know how to use it right. First thing i would do if i were you is check the computer didn't come pre-installed with any anti-virus and firewall software because if you downloaded your own and already have one they will be conflicting with each other. After that disable all protection or try run sopcast in safe mode with networking. If it works then you have found your issue. It could also be of course sopcast having problems.