Fabrice Moreau, Paul Kaszan and John Gemmell all arrived that season but I'm not sure whether they made first-team appearances under Collins.

Just as a coincidental aside Moreau's great aunt, Jeanne, once starred in a movie, The Last Tycoon, directed by Paul Kaczan's great grandfather, Elia,

eta... As far as I'm aware neither John Gemmell nor any of his close relatives have ever had involvement in any film based on the works of F Scott Fitzgerald

Remarkable memory you have kni.

I do have a very good memory of our players that goes all the way back to the 70s. There have been a lot of duds, especially under Bryce and Campbell (who had big squads).

My memory of the Gerry Collins era is very clear and painful to recall. All of Lambie's great work was undone in just a few months. It is amazing how many players Lambie signed but he was ruthless. He knew that he had to cull and improve the squad when we got promoted.

I follow the careers of ex players too. IIRC Paul Kaczan played for Elgin City. John Gemmell, who seemed a good prospect from the Spiders at the time, has moved around over the years. He is now at Stenny where there are several ex-Jags.

The sad thing is I didn't think Collins' signings were that bad and recall being genuinely excited at the start of that season. I think that perhaps had he not been hampered by the loss of so many players of the team from the seasons before we could have done a lot better. If you look at Archie this season he has known from the start of season that most of the players are in it for two seasons and therefore allows him to build a team slowly rather than what Collins was left with.

The first part of the quiz reminds how much of a recidivist Lambie was, in signing players time and time again.

Just as a coincidental aside Moreau's great aunt, Jeanne, once starred in a movie, The Last Tycoon, directed by Paul Kaczan's great grandfather, Elia,

eta... As far as I'm aware neither John Gemmell nor any of his close relatives have ever had involvement in any film based on the works of F Scott Fitzgerald

I think you're making some of this up . . but I'm not sure what parts.

I think you're making some of this up . . but I'm not sure what parts.

Caught red handed :blush:. Was waiting for someone to point out the obvious. John Gemmell's Uncle George was of course a child actor in Tender is the Night

If you exclude the re-signing of Rowson the Collins signing I thought could be a clincher was that of Stuart Taylor. I think he scored against Motherwell early in the season and it took me several weeks to realise just how poor he was. Andy Thomson was another. Depending on who you listened to he was either a potential world beater or two leagues out of his depth. Another dud signing but very good at pointing. Don't think we, and more importantly the other players, ever figured out the significance of this pointing.

In May 2003 Gerry Collins took over as manager of Thistle. His reign wouldn't last very long, being sacked later in 2003. During his tenure in charge he signed 14 players. Can you name them? Signings are listed in order of date of signing.

Ground Rules:

1. Of the 14 players he signed, only 13 played under him.

2. Re-signing players already at the club does NOT count.

3. Loan signings DO count.

1. John Gemmell

2. James Grady

3. Andy Ross

4. Stuart Taylor

5. Stephane Bonnes

6. John Paul McBride

7. Emmanuel Panther

8. Grant Murray

9. Paul Kaczan

10. Eddie Forrest

11. Andy Thomson

12. Jean Yves Anis

13. Jakup Mikkelsen

14. Adrian Madaschi

Who was the player or players on loan. I can't recall.

In late 2003, Caretaker managers Derek Whyte and Gerry Britton were given permanent control of the Thistle first team. Their reign would last just over a year, until they were sacked in December 2004. In this spell, containing 2 transfer windows they signed a total of 13 players. Can you name them?

Ground Rules:

1. Of the 13 players they signed, only 12 played under them.

2. Re-signing players already at the club does NOT count.

3. Loan signings DO count

There are a further 8 players who were "signed" with the view to playing Reserve football. You can name these players if you wish, but they aren't part of the quiz.

1. Jamie Langfield

2. Billy Gibson

3. Daniele Chiarini

4. Jorge Cadete

5. Tommy English

6. Steve Fulton

7. Andy Wilkinson

8. Andy Dowie

9. Juan Escalas

10. Neil Bennett

11. Armand One

12. Leigh Hinds

13. Andy McLaren

Edited by jagscast

The following immediately spring to mind

Andy Wilkinson (loan) from Stoke

Graeme Dorrans (loan) from Livingston

Andy Dowie from Rangers

Jimmy Gibson from Clyde

Juan Ramon Escalas

Armand One from Tamworth IIRC

Leigh Hinds from Aberdeen

Edited by kni

The following immediately spring to mind

Andy Wilkinson (loan) from Stoke

Andy Dowie from Rangers

Juan Ramon Escalas

Armand One from Tamworth IIRC

Leigh Hinds from Aberdeen

Correct and added to the list.

Graeme Dorrans (loan) from Livingston

Jimmy Gibson from Clyde

Incorrect.

A few more from that season but they may have been signed by Campbell

Sandy Hodge

Marc Smyth (was that the season of his bust up with Adam Strachan?)

Jukka Santala from Rangers

Scott Boyd

Mark Roberts

All incorrect.

Adam Strachan did make his debut under Whyte and Britton, but as he came through the youth ranks I wasn't classifying him as a signing!

The Bunnet was Lambie-esque in his signing policy so I'm probably getting confused with some of his recruits. I think that Steve Fulton and Andy McLaren were signed by Dick after he arrived. Edit - I see that McLaren was signed by Britton and Whyte.

I'm also wondering whether they signed Andy Ross permanently after a loan spell.

Edited by kni

Madaschi? Can't remember if Collins signed him or W+B

Signed by Collins as was Mikkelsen.

ETA - Jamie Langfield on loan or short-term deal?

Talking of ex-Jags, I think that Jonathan Carter (still with Rob Roy?) and John McGoldrick came through the youth ranks around then.

Edited by kni

The Bunnet was Lambie-esque in his signing policy so I'm probably getting confused with some of his recruits. I think that Steve Fulton and Andy McLaren were signed by Dick after he arrived. Edit - I see that McLaren was signed by Britton and Whyte.

I'm also wondering whether they signed Andy Ross permanently after a loan spell.

The idea of Chelsea valuing Andy Ross that highly to only put him out on loan is just short of surreal. Btw the Bunnet for all his faults didn't sign Fulton.

The idea of Chelsea valuing Andy Ross that highly to only put him out on loan is just short of surreal. Btw the Bunnet for all his faults didn't sign Fulton.

IIRC Andy Ross was captain of Chelsea reserves before he signed for us.

Anyway, I will guess that B&W signed Billy Gibson from Deadco. He is still playing regularly at Linlithgow Rose - coached by Flea.

Edited by kni

Steve Fulton added to the list.

Andy Ross, btw, was never on loan. Collins signed him permanently in 2003.

Madaschi? Can't remember if Collins signed him or W+B

Signed by Collins.

Signed by Collins as was Mikkelsen.

ETA - Jamie Langfield on loan or short-term deal?

Talking of ex-Jags, I think that Jonathan Carter (still with Rob Roy?) and John McGoldrick came through the youth ranks around then.

Langfield added to the list.

Carter and McGoldrick are part of the 8 youth/reserve players.

IIRC Andy Ross was captain of Chelsea reserves before he signed for us.

Anyway, I will guess that B&W signed Billy Gibson from Deadco. He is still playing regularly at Linlithgow Rose - coached by Flea.

Billy Gibson already on the list.