Ken Bates / Partick Thistle

half-decent wee pieceby ian plenderleith in when saturday comes about leeds and bates.

Sadly KB's program notes aren't just embarrassing, at times they're costly. His notes in the LUFC program on Levi cost an estimted £1.5 million (which was quite a sum for a L1 club).http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/jul/10/ken-bates-libel-trial-defeat-leeds-united-full-story

On this front KB is a repeat offender, he had to settle out of court with members of the Chelsea Independant Supporters club after he labeled them parasites in the Chelsea V Marselle program. One of the 1st moves Roman made after he purchased CFC was putting a stop to KB's program notes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably covered elsewhere in the thread or the links provided so ignore if you already have this information.

Bates' involvement with Thistle happened almost by accident through a friendship with the then Thistle Chair Millar Reid. There was a share subscription and Bates agreed to purchase any unsold shares. There was a very poor up take in the purchase of shares and Bates, by default almost, ended up majority shareholder.

I think in his time at Thistle he attended maybe two Thistle games. I can certainly remember him at one.

'Highlight' of his time at Firhill was destroying Gerry McNee in a tv (radio?) interview. McNee was making the not unreasonable point about Bates being absentee landlord etc only to be unable to form a reponse that was the same situation at Rangers who weren't doing too badly.

This is probably covered elsewhere in the thread or the links provided so ignore if you already have this information.

Bates' involvement with Thistle happened almost by accident through a friendship with the then Thistle Chair Millar Reid. There was a share subscription and Bates agreed to purchase any unsold shares. There was a very poor up take in the purchase of shares and Bates, by default almost, ended up majority shareholder.

I think in his time at Thistle he attended maybe two Thistle games. I can certainly remember him at one.

'Highlight' of his time at Firhill was destroying Gerry McNee in a tv (radio?) interview. McNee was making the not unreasonable point about Bates being absentee landlord etc only to be unable to form a reponse that was the same situation at Rangers who weren't doing too badly.

Yeah I have got that on video. The Master absolutely destroyed McNee and a boyish looking Jim White on a live link up on Scotland Today. McNee was a wreck at the end....it was hilarious!!

Tom, were Robert and Millar related? :thinking: