Japanese Numbers

Collins Out!

Hopefully Sieg Sieg or another of our Japanese speakers can solve this quandary i am in....

I have been learning Japanese numbers , ichi, ni , san , shi/yon , go, roku etc.

But in my kana workbook next to the numbers it has the words hitotsu, futatsu, mittsu , yottsu etc.

Are there two ways of saying each number? Any help would be appreciated arigato gozaimasu.

Hopefully Sieg Sieg or another of our Japanese speakers can solve this quandary i am in....

I have been learning Japanese numbers , ichi, ni , san , shi/yon , go, roku etc.

But in my kana workbook next to the numbers it has the words hitotsu, futatsu, mittsu , yottsu etc.

Are there two ways of saying each number? Any help would be appreciated arigato gozaimasu.

Firstly, please do not use the Hepburn system of Romanisation. It was rejected in the ISO after the lengthy discussions of world linguists. "chi" should be "ti", "tsu" should be "tu".

The number in Japanese is in the following way;

1 iti, hitotu

2 ni, hutatu

3 san, mittu

4 yon, yottu

5 go, itutu

6 roku, muttu

7 nana, nanatu

8 hati, yattu

9 kyû, kokonotu

10 zyû

"hitotu, hutatu, mittu..." are used when counting the number of something.

In Japanese, there is "sokuon (っ)", like mittu, yappari, kitte...

Sokuon is close to the "c" in "Partick".

Thanks for the quick reply. What is the difference between using iti, ni and using hitotu etc?

I need to use hepburn it is the way it is taught in Scotland.

edit, ah i see it is counting number of something. In mu book it had an increasing number of apples. Ok thanks.

Edited by Collins Out!

Thanks for the quick reply. What is the difference between using iti, ni and using hitotu etc?

I need to use hepburn it is the way it is taught in Scotland.

edit, ah i see it is counting number of something. In mu book it had an increasing number of apples. Ok thanks.

There is no fundamental difference between using "iti" and "hitotu". For example, when you ask a small child about his/her age, "kimi wa ikutu?" "mittu." Is quite normal. "san-sai" (sai is year) is a bit strange, because too formal.

Firstly, please do not use the Hepburn system of Romanisation. It was rejected in the ISO after the lengthy discussions of world linguists. "chi" should be "ti", "tsu" should be "tu".

The number in Japanese is in the following way;

1 iti, hitotu

2 ni, hutatu

3 san, mittu

4 yon, yottu

5 go, itutu

6 roku, muttu

7 nana, nanatu

8 hati, yattu

9 kyû, kokonotu

10 zyû

"hitotu, hutatu, mittu..." are used when counting the number of something.

In Japanese, there is "sokuon (っ)", like mittu, yappari, kitte...

Sokuon is close to the "c" in "Partick".

FFS Collins, I can't believe your still using Hepburn!