Rugby World Cup

sigesige00

3d43c77

Japan's World Cup jersey

This year the Rugby Union World Cup will be held.

Japan's jersey is traditionally red. I have seen the jersey only on website, and do not know whether Japan's national flag is printed on the back or not.

In Japan there has been decades-long struggle over the national flag, particularly in education.

The government has tried to force the teachers to display the national flag and sing the national anthem "Kimigayo". The teachers unions, particularly left ones, have struggled against the government on this point. We see the national flag and national anthem as symbols of aggression and colonialism of Japan. (And in the case of "Kimigayo", this is clearly a monarchist song.) This would be very difficult to understand for foreigners.

As a Japanese citizen I support the Japanese Rugby team (The Republic of Korea is very weak; and there is no Rugby in the DPR Korea), however I never sing the national anthem.

I'll buy Japan's jersey if there is no national flag on the back.

Edited by sigesige00

Fascinating.

BTW what is Japanese butter like? Is it expensive? I've always wanted to know.

I do not know whether Japenese butter is expensive or not, because I do not eat butter (or margarine), except cooked bread sold at "konbini" (convenience stores).

Anyway, Japan will host Rugby World Cup in 2019. Because of the political power of athletics, there are very small number of Rugby/Football stadiums, in comparison with the number of athletic stadiums. I think that the Rugby Field should be shortened to 105m (Field of play 93m, ingoal 6m), same as Association Football.

I do not know whether Japenese butter is expensive or not, because I do not eat butter (or margarine), except cooked bread sold at "konbini" (convenience stores).

Anyway, Japan will host Rugby World Cup in 2019. Because of the political power of athletics, there are very small number of Rugby/Football stadiums, in comparison with the number of athletic stadiums. I think that the Rugby Field should be shortened to 105m (Field of play 93m, ingoal 6m), same as Association Football.

Must be pretty expensive then.

I have always been intrigued by weight of a rugby ball. Many years ago when they were made out of leather they were heavier and much more difficult to carry, throw and kick. This is maybe the reason why rugby pitches are the current dimensions. I also think rugby balls should be spherical and coloured red to disguise the blood.

Unfortunately, I will not buy Japan's jersey; since the national flag (Hinomaru) is sewn on the sleeve.

In Association Football, I have Japan's practice shirts, because there is no Hinomaru. However Japan's blue replica cannot be bought since it has Hinomaru.

Unfortunately, I will not buy Japan's jersey; since the national flag (Hinomaru) is sewn on the sleeve.

In Association Football, I have Japan's practice shirts, because there is no Hinomaru. However Japan's blue replica cannot be bought since it has Hinomaru.

Just buy it and draw a Teletubbies face in the Hinomaru.