Scotland Withdrawals

kni

If only we had a decent manager. :angry:

Did we really learn anything from that game with the players we picked? Given that Cyprus hit the woodwork twice in the first half and regularly managed to get in behind our shambolic defence, it could easily have been a defeat.

Surely that was the time to experiment rather than play the same guys who we know what we will get from.

I wonder if Craig "no strikers" Levein watched the U-21s play? 2 wingers on our team (at the same time) and what an entertaining match it was.

Much as I hate to defend Levein (even if only a little bit) with our defence we can't afford to be too attack minded. Mind you we should be more than we are - but if we play more attacking players they have to be good at getting back and closing down the opposition.

We've been lucky (in view of the fact we've done little to improve youth development) in that a decent number of good midfield players have come through recently and even one or two forwards but we are really struggling at the moment where we used to be strong. Our defence is poor.

I think Berra would be OK with better defenders round him but we need at least two better centre backs. Our fullbacks are all better going forward than defending (except Cairney whose all round game is pretty rubbish).

One thing that bugs me about our system (which is 4-1-4-1) is that Levein often plays a player in the "1" in front of the defence who isn't suited to it. Adam for instance who while good at picking the ball up and bringing it forward is an disaster waiting to happen when playing the defensive side of that position (witness his tackle against the Czechs which should have been a penalty and a sending off).

To my mind the best player for that position is Fletcher (D) or if he's not available someone like Whitaker, a defender who can also play in midfield. Brown would be good in this position if he could be trusted to screw the nut but under Lennon he's become even more of a headcase than he was before.

Edited by Mr Bunny