Going To Oz For A Working Holiday

Bluddy Hell

As the title suggests I am off out of here for a year, but need some advice either from people who have done the travelling thing on what are the dos and donts kind of thing and the pople who are in Oz on what I should do when I'm over there.

Good for you mate..I was over some 11 years ago now..was meant to be for a year but ended coming back after 3 months as i had met my bloody wife 6 weeks before i was due to fly out!

Still got mates in Perth if thats where your going?

Here are a few things you should be aware of:

When people talk about thongs they are actually referring to their flip flops, rather than their underwear;

Marmite is known as Vegemite;

Insects are very large indeed;

You may think people are asking you questions all the time. They are not. That is just how Australians speak.

Some other things Don't go out and get pished before you have familarise yourself with where you are staying. Aussie's only think they can drink. Hard to get your Nat King. Speak slow

ly.

The best brand of Cheese over there is called Coon

Edited by Chicofan

HJ Dont think it was me that the annoucement was about, havent set a date for going yet! but most likely before the end of this season.

Think I will by pass going to Perth as getting from there to anywhere else in Aus might be a fairly long journey! But you never know what might happen in a year!.

Yeah my cousin is over there and told me that thongs are meant to be flip flops, I was in the pub when she told me so imagine my utter confusion!

I did it over 10, oh ok, 11 years ago (dear God) and yes it is daunting going away but it really is a piece of piss when you are out there. Austalia is totally setup for all the backpackers and jobs going. I was based mostly in Sydney although my mates had been there 3 months before me and they liked Melbourne better.

I did some travelling on my own and you meet good people in the hostels and trips. You will have a great time and constantly think about it when you come home and end up working like all the other daft buggers with normal lives. Incidentally "bugger" in Australia is not really thought of as a swear word. They said it on radio etc which shocked my soft ears.

You make of it what you want. Mate ended up going out with an Aussie girl for a while so we hung around with Aussies but also were in the backpacker haunts too. Met some good people especially some English lads. A lot of the people we avoided were Glasgow as we wanted a break from "what team do you support" and all that nonsense. Yes we were backpacker snobs. Loads of material out there and places like STA Travel can sort you out before you go. My main bit of advice is save as much money as possible so you don't need to scrimp and save and get down the gym so you don't look pasty and skinny like I did on Bondi and Coogee Bay.

It's a great experience.