Will The Guilty Party Please Own Up?

Sam Leitch Loyal

In the name of Clapton. I go away for less than a week and return to find the Carnarvan bar closed down.

That's my pre- and post-Firhill watering* hole. Own up - who's responsible?

*Not that I actually drink water in there, you understand.

Can't answer that I'm afraid. However, I was equally alarmed as yourself to learn that the Strathmore Bar is no longer a feeshul Thistle pub: it's been acquired by new management.

This is a scunner - wee Billy, the erstwhile proprietor was a dyed-in-the-wool Jag and even had the windaes made with frosted glass featuring embossed thistles.

We will nevertheless be calling in for a pint before the game to evaluate its current level of Thistleness. If it disnae come up to scratch, improvement notices will be served upon the new licensee; meanwhile we will revert to the Star & Garter, our haunt of two decades or so ago.

Lads get yourselves into the Star & Garter, worth it just for the jags pictures on the walls, all of which are original prints that have been in the pub for over a century in some cases.

Very sad to hear about the Strathmore, always enjoyed a pint in there whenever we ventured further up Maryhill Road and it was undoubtedly a jags pub.

Shame you can't say the same about The Royalty however, never really enjoyed a pint in there on the odd occasion we've been in.

Called Michael that runs the star, today, to ask if he could nip to the cashy to get in a case of becks blue for me as I've given up the Swally.

No probs, it'll be chilled waiting for me tomorrow.

Great boozer, great staff, great memorabilia on the walls. No wifi, got rid of it years ago, but they've got a great jukebox.

Regulars are all pretty spot on, too.