Blaze Pitches Behind Strathmore

kearny_jag

I drove past the blaze pitches that sit behind the Strathmore pub today and realized I've never really noticed them before. As the awful idea of blaze fields is now being rooted out I wondered if any local/amateur teams use them? It looks like there is one full size and 2 small sized pitches all under flood lights. Its a shame to think they are being unused. Perhaps a good option for the club to lay some grass or 5G Turf and have a training facility?

I'm older than blaze pitches going back to clinker pitches. They got the ash from all the council boilers and put that down it was like playing on charcoal. If a fresh load was put on during the week you had to gather up the larger lumps and get them off the pitch.

I played in goal and still have black streaks in my knees and thighs from cuts. You had to SCRUB the stuff out of your legs. OUCH.

There's been a lot of property development in that part of Queen Margaret Drive. The old petrol station next to Crosslands is a desperately needed supermarket and flats. The derelict land - might have been a school - at Oban Drive and behind the fire station has flats built on it.

Edited by McKennan

That land was formerly the lovely North Kelvinside Secondary School, which was merged with Cleveden Secondary and the building demolished. Considering the land is now over-stuffed with flats to take advantage of the more expensive post code, it surprises me that the pitches once associated with the school haven't gone the same way; sold off and redeveloped a long time ago.

That land was formerly the lovely North Kelvinside Secondary School, which was merged with Cleveden Secondary and the building demolished. Considering the land is now over-stuffed with flats to take advantage of the more expensive post code, it surprises me that the pitches once associated with the school haven't gone the same way; sold off and redeveloped a long time ago.

Broke my heart to learn that my dear old school had been reduced to dust at the time.

Regarding the pitches behind the Strathy, weren't they independent of the school altogether? When I was a pupil at NK (1970 - 74), the pitches we used were at Clouston St., on the other side of QMD, behind the (old) Fire Station. Not sure what happened to them, but I don't recall the pitches behind the Strathy ever being associated with NK. I do stand to be corrected on this, and would welcome being informed of what happened there.

They were the school pitches when I was at NK, I was the last ever 5th year in 1998 just as the school was closing & moving to cleveden.

I'm not totally sure but I'm sure when they closed the school they made some sort of promise not to build on the pitches & keep them for the local area. Surprised they've stuck by that!!

They were the school pitches when I was at NK, I was the last ever 5th year in 1998 just as the school was closing & moving to cleveden.

I'm not totally sure but I'm sure when they closed the school they made some sort of promise not to build on the pitches & keep them for the local area. Surprised they've stuck by that!!

Thanks for that info, UTJ.