Croatia V Scotland

For the first time I ever I have been swithering over whether to watch this game or not. I most probably will but I am not looking forward to it at all. I can see it being a lot like the Belgium match - a 2-0 defeat that could just as easily have been a 10-0 defeat. Our lack of a decent holding midfielder will probably present Croatia with plenty of chances on goal. I just hope either Marshall or McGregor (personally I would start with the former; actually I would play both, but I don't think FIFA would allow that) are feeling fit, because I reckon they will have their work cut out tonight.

This Croatia team probably aren't as strong as the one Scotland faced in 2000, and if our team had been at full strength then I might be holding out hope of a draw tonight. Instead, I am just hoping we can keep the scoreline respectable. It says a lot when a smaller and less economically wealthy country like Croatia can put out teams capable not only of beating Scotland but tearing Scotland to shreds.

team announced:

Allan McGregor

Steven Whittaker

Russell Martin

Grant Hanley

Alan Hutton

James McArthur

James Morrison

Robert Snodgrass

Barry Bannan

Shaun Maloney

Leigh Griffiths

No idea how this is going to line up. Has Hutton played left-back before? Or are we actually going to play 3-5-2 with Hutton and Snodgrass (or McArthur) wing backs and Maloney just behind Griffith?

Edited by Mr Bunny

team announced:

Allan McGregor

Steven Whittaker

Russell Martin

Grant Hanley

Alan Hutton

James McArthur

James Morrison

Robert Snodgrass

Barry Bannan

Shaun Maloney

Leigh Griffiths

No idea how this is going to line up. Has Hutton played left-back before? Or are we actually going to play 3-5-2 with Hutton and Snodgrass (or McArthur) wing backs and Maloney just behind Griffith?

Pretty sure that's going to be;

McGregor

Hutton (RB) Martin Hanley Whittaker (LB)

Morrison McArthur

Bannan Maloney Snodgrass

Griffiths

team announced:

Allan McGregor

Steven Whittaker

Russell Martin

Grant Hanley

Alan Hutton

James McArthur

James Morrison

Robert Snodgrass

Barry Bannan

Shaun Maloney

Leigh Griffiths

I think Whittaker will play left-back. I am sure he played there a few times for Rangers. Alternatively he could be asked to play as part of a back three, but that would obviously curb his attacking talents, as well as those of Robert Snodgrass (assuming he is asked to play as a wing-back).

I think it will be a 4-5-1 with Maloney, once again, asked to play on the wing. He's a good wee player, Shaun Maloney, but Scotland have yet to see the best of him due to successive managers insisting on playing him out of position.

McGregor, for me, is a bit of a gamble. Apparently he was dropped by his club for the last four games of the season, so it will have been a while since he last played.

I feel like a complete hammer for my prediction earlier in the thread, but I couldn't give a **** :thumbsup: Absolutely brilliant team performance from all 11 players, and that's without us being anywhere near full strength. Hopefully this is the start of something very special. And a shiny golden feather in WGS's cap too :)