Another Bike Topic Another Planet

B.C.G. JAG

Got a friend trying to rally some troops to take part in this year's Glasgow to Edinburgh bike run. I remember on the old forum there was a few folk doing it last year - anyone doing it again? My bike is a bit of an old banger, a wee three speed roadster - fine for the 4 miles to work each day, but not sure how it will cope with intercity travel. Anyone got info on the terrain en route and tips for the day?

glas - edi bike run website here

might be worthwhile taking your banger here to get checked out first. haven't used it myself but it's a social enterprise which i'm sure will sit well with your fine principles.

my tip for the say is 'always sleep with your erse pointing towards the bulkhead.'

Edited by John Blutarsky

Route HERE Click on "show elevation" in the box on the right of the map to get a terrain profile.

There are a couple of short, sharp hills, but thats about it really. Lots of people get off and walk, so there's no shame there. (I got boxed in behind a stationary police car on the first hill last year and had to jump off before I fell off). Its generally pretty easy, and people as young as 6 and as old as 96 have completed it.

Best advice is a. get a decent pair of padded cycling shorts b. plaster yer bits with Sudocrem or chamois cream or summat like that c. get your bike checked over before the ride d. swap knobbly mountain bike tyres for slicks e.eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.

I'm doing the return trip this year for a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't work out why there's a 100 mile option and you still end up finishing in Edinburgh. Nuts I say.

I can understand the logic as it is, after all, a Glasgow to Edinburgh bike ride. I imagine the other thinking behind it is that there would be too much disruption to other road traffic if you have large streams of cyclists on both sides of the road.

The prospect of arriving at the finish, knackered, after 100 (hard) miles at the same time as thoooosands of folk who have pootled across the easy way, to then wait ages to get on a bus back home appeals about as much as something really really really nasty.

Early start for me (0730 departure) - chank it out to the finish for around half 10, quick break and then back (along a slightly modified route) via the feeding stations - hopefully getting home by about 2pm.

I reckon the 100 mile route would probably take me 7-8 hours (including stops) which means doing the last 4 or 5 miles along the cycle path bit dodging the folk who have an average speed akin to a brisk walk... I cannae be arsed with that.

Anyway...anybody want to join our chaingang and do Glasgow-Edinburgh-Glasgow?

Just a thought, but I'm pretty sure not everyone is going to get their bike back on the train - what happens there?

Forget even trying the train unless you get to Waverley before 12 or b. want to wait for hours to get on.

For £15, you and your bike are whisked back to The Wedge by coach (bike on truck). Back at the Green, you collect your bike from a numbered pen. It works (apparently, as I've never used this option)

I've heard there's room for a dozen bikes in the back of Jack Osbourne snr's Volvo. :P

Good luck to all two-wheeled sociopaths taking part in this event btw. :thumbsup2:

:lol:

Not this year matey. Its staying put and I'm doing the round-trip on two wheels... and I think you'll find that that fits well with my more psycopathic tendencies.

Forget even trying the train unless you get to Waverley before 12 or b. want to wait for hours to get on.

For £15, you and your bike are whisked back to The Wedge by coach (bike on truck). Back at the Green, you collect your bike from a numbered pen. It works (apparently, as I've never used this option)

I did this return last year with the team and the post-ride pint (sp)layed out on the grass at West in Glasgow Green was worth it. Would have had a couple more, but I was cycling home from there as was a colleague who was heading back to Motherwell - crazy fool.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new Italian, carbon soled very BRIGHT ORANGE ARANCIO shoes delivered this morning so they'll make me go MUCH faster... Contador stylee.

Only trouble is, I have a terrible feeling I've got glandular fever (its been a tough 10 days) which means I'm fooked for doing any decent mileage for about a month :mad2:

Docs on Tuesday with everything crossed that its just been the flu.

If not, the 3 100 milers I've got in the diary between now and October are oot the windae.

• 2 weeks later...

So... in 8 hours time, I'll be pulling on the lycra and and jumping on my "Evo" to ride across to Edinburgh... in 12 hours time, I'll be leaving Edinburgh (still on "Evo") and if I'm really really lucky... in 16 hours time I'll be arriving back in Glasgow.

106 miles including the bit to and from the start/finish.

Still not 100% after getting sick a couple of weeks ago... it may have affected my brain! :P

Just back - my ancient three speeder Puch made it! 4hrs and 15mins including 3 feed stops - a lot better than I was expecting! Henry, Damon and Jimmy can all get tae now, I'm done with hills for a while.

Edited to add: Feeling particularly smug about this as there was supposed to be ten of us entering and, one by one, all the rest pulled out. Only I am victorious - Rarrrrr!

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

Good turnout this morning, but I only saw one Jags fan (Jack Snr) that I recognised.

I was on the Maggies's volunteer crew at the start line, so got to see most of the riders. The 3 boys on the Penny Farthings looked good at the start, but I'm sure they'd be a bit saddle sore by the end.

Edited by Sandy Gall

Just a thought, but I'm pretty sure not everyone is going to get their bike back on the train - what happens there?

Bit late to answer to this, as most of the trains to queen st are 170 turbostars they can only carry 3 bikes per unit, and they are in the wheelchair space, so if a wheelchair comes on off they go. The trains that run to central are usually 156s and they have space for 6 bikes usually so a bit better but a helluva lot longer. I heard from last year that about 12 of them tried to get on at stirling guard said no, they wouldnt get off so he refused to move the train on the grounds of safety, :lol: on the electrics you can put on as many as you wish as its the driver thats in charge of safety and not the TE

unlike the electrics a bike cant be left at a door as the guards have to operate the doors, and is seen as a health and safety hazard, altho if its a bike that can be folded down you can stand at a door as long as its folded and you remain with it.

Good turnout this morning, but I only saw one Jags fan (Jack Snr) that I recognised.

I was on the Maggies's volunteer crew at the start line, so got to see most of the riders. The 3 boys on the Penny Farthings looked good at the start, but I'm sure they'd be a bit saddle sore by the end.

You shoulda said you'be volunteering... I'd have looked out for you.

Well hacked off with the start today. Holding up 9,000 riders because of a few ponces that can't out of their bed in time for their race was nothing short of criminal. Got there at 7.20 and finally crossed the start line at 8.25. That and one of the boys blowing a tyre (and 3 tubes) meant that by the time we started heading back, the wind was blowing like buggery. We ended up abandoning the 100 mile plan after 65 miles.

Also (and for the second year in a row) I ended up walking up the hill after Avonbridge due to a mechanical issue. Last year the chain flew off the rear end as I changed down... this year it initially refused to move into the small chainring and then chucked itself off the inside and jammed. Cue many sweary words.

Other than that, and a tweaked hamstring it was a good day!

You shoulda said you'be volunteering... I'd have looked out for you.

Well hacked off with the start today. Holding up 9,000 riders because of a few ponces that can't out of their bed in time for their race was nothing short of criminal.

I would have said, but I got my job when I turned up (early) at 7.45. Also, I did think that you (and a lot of others) would be long gone by 8am...Final riders were heading out at 10.30 and the delayed start was put down to issues with Edinburgh.

Sorry it wasn't a total success this time out, but as you know, that hill after the Avonbridge stop is tough at the best of times...

I would have said, but I got my job when I turned up (early) at 7.45. Also, I did think that you (and a lot of others) would be long gone by 8am...Final riders were heading out at 10.30 and the delayed start was put down to issues with Edinburgh.

Put my tuppence-worth about the farcical start into the feedback survey.