Training Ground

Lindau

Right, a wee question for those that know more than me about this - apart from the fact that we rent rather than own, how does Garscube compare to the likes of Murray Park, Lennoxtown or Hearts / Hibs facilities? Having played there (hockey) it always seemed a good set up but I'd be interested to know how it compares for an SPFL team.

Well done Thistle. Will prove to be an excellent partnership I hope. Exciting for sure! :head_ball:

I have often wondered why something like this has never happened before. I know Killie have been blocking our use of Garscube training facilities, but I've always thought we have been a bit deficient in building stronger ties with our local educational institutions.

Three of the nearby posh schools have huge training fields at Anniesland ( dedicated to rugby and cricket and no match to Garscube, I know but...) and I assume it's been a matter of cost that's denied us access when we've been searching for a base in the past.

I appreciate that Thistle have never had an abundance of cash or administrative staff to organise such things, but I hope this project might eventually extend to the club being confident and able to approach the local secondary schools too, with mutually beneficial propositions of close partnerships.

NK and St. Columba's may be long gone but, Hillhead, Cleveden, Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow Academy, Hyndland, The High School, Springburn Academy, John Paul Academy... These are all schools we should (in an Ideal world, granted) have a concrete connection with. Not only to help the footballing talent but to grow the fan base.

Here's to a prosperous future!!!

Looks like our wee team is growing up.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 2

I appreciate that Thistle have never had an abundance of cash or administrative staff to organise such things, but I hope this project might eventually extend to the club being confident and able to approach the local secondary schools too, with mutually beneficial propositions of close partnerships.

NK and St. Columba's may be long gone but, Hillhead, Cleveden, Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow Academy, Hyndland, The High School, Springburn Academy, John Paul Academy... These are all schools we should (in an Ideal world, granted) have a concrete connection with. Not only to help the footballing talent but to grow the fan base.

This is important for a club like Thistle to get into the community/schools etc and also have close links with local football clubs which would help in attracting future talent and supporters to the club.

The club now have community teams taking part in local leagues with players as young as 8 taking part, so there is a pathway in place for these boys to join the Academy

Now that Thistle have a training facility as good as Garscube and an Academy set up which has come on leaps and bounds in the last year which will keep getting better, the club wil be able compete with other teams to attract the best youth talent out there.

• Like 1

This is important for a club like Thistle to get into the community/schools etc and also have close links with local football clubs which would help in attracting future talent and supporters to the club.

The club now have community teams taking part in local leagues with players as young as 8 taking part, so there is a pathway in place for these boys to join the Academy

Now that Thistle have a training facility as good as Garscube and an Academy set up which has come on leaps and bounds in the last year which will keep getting better, the club wil be able compete with other teams to attract the best youth talent out there.

Do Thistle Weir have a training base? I understand it to be kinda run from Firhill and know they use Lochinch alot but is it their "home"?

Might it be worthwhile approaching one of the likes of Glasgow or Kelvinside Academy or The High School to form a similar partnership as the first team with the Uni?

I guess they both have strong traditions in rugby and cricket and might be perceived to look down their noses a little the association code. However, I know they play the game and as I said earlier they appear to have an abundance of space at Anniesland and although I don't know the extent of the facilities, with both having F.P. rugby and cricket teams playing at decent levels I imagine them to be above average.

Perhaps, given the new professionalism around our youth set up, we might convince the toffs that soccer can be a gentleman's game played by gentlemen? ....

What, what? Play up The Thistle! :smartass::fan:

Do Thistle Weir have a training base? I understand it to be kinda run from Firhill and know they use Lochinch alot but is it their "home"?

Might it be worthwhile approaching one of the likes of Glasgow or Kelvinside Academy or The High School to form a similar partnership as the first team with the Uni?

I guess they both have strong traditions in rugby and cricket and might be perceived to look down their noses a little the association code. However, I know they play the game and as I said earlier they appear to have an abundance of space at Anniesland and although I don't know the extent of the facilities, with both having F.P. rugby and cricket teams playing at decent levels I imagine them to be above average.

Perhaps, given the new professionalism around our youth set up, we might convince the toffs that soccer can be a gentleman's game played by gentlemen? ....

What, what? Play up The Thistle! :smartass::fan:

Lochinch is an excellent facility and imo on a par with Riccarton,Ralston etc only down side being it's so far away from Firhill.

From personal point of view the facilities at Lochinch helps massively when inviting trialists into club and amazing the strides our Academy has made in less than a year.

Edited by Aldo81

Lochinch is an excellent facility and imo on a par with Riccarton,Ralston etc only down side being it's so far away from Firhill.

From personal point of view the facilities at Lochinch helps massively when inviting trialists into club and amazing the strides our Academy has made in less than a year.

Got to agree Aldo and everybody i speak to from other clubs are very impressed with the Lochinch facility when they visit.

The Academy getting the use of it longterrm is just as good as the first team getting Garscube.