Clarkston V Cathcart

Lambies Lost Doo

Currently renting but looking to buy a house. Got 2 options of one being in Cathcart (terrace house) v Clarkston (bungalow type). We currently live in Cathcart, no kids yet but happening, and I can't decide where to go especially as you have the schools of East Ren brainwashing now I'm on the wrong side of 35+.

Anyone got experience of living in either and with views on house values? For Cathcart my main issue is would you get money back after say 5 years and move to suburbia. The Cathcart property is better and I know we'll never get as good a house. It's an interesting area as there are some cracking houses there. Or by 4/5 years time will suburbia be priced out as prices do look to be in a funny place right now.

Never bought a place before hence my obvious inexperience and inability to decide.

Hi LLD,

For what's its worth I'm a similar age & just gone through the exact same dilemma. I had the choice of a gaff in Muirend or Clarkston. Both were sand stone terraced houses (at a similar price) with the one in Muirend having the extra bedroom and probably a few more 'features' that my missus likes but aren't the most essential things in the world.

Despite the one in Muirend probably being the better house, we took the one in Clarkston as we felt its overall value was probably greater. In terms of schooling its the better option (on paper)and I guess that, in a lot of ways, became the 'sensible' option. Property values also seems to stay pretty strong whereas moving outside ER and into Glasgow City Council you find a lot of fluctuations - according to the estate agent in GCC. For example, we sold our flat in one day in Muirend and our neighbour (literally next door) hasn't shifted it in 5 months - the estate agent prepared us for this as its apparently very common regardless of house price. The houses in Clarkston seem to go quickly so if you need to sell then there's peace of mind that you should sell rapid without compromising on losing money. We are pretty delighted with our move. They local bars & restaurants are excellent and transport links are also pretty good and really convenient (so is Cathcart to be fair). We also have parking which we wouldnt have got in Muirend which has been much more important to us than we thought. On similar train/bus lines to Cathcart so your adding 5-10 mins to your journey into town but worth it.

Our neighbours are similar ages to us (a lot of families) whereas the ones in Muirend were a lot older so that's been a wee added bonus.

One final thing - having gone through the buying process - mortgages, valuations, financial planning etc. etc. that comes with buying a house I am so glad that we stretched ourselves this time & don't have to do it all over again. If you have all the time in the world then I'm sure its quite easy but juggling that with work became really tiresome.

I If you want anymore info then drop me a DM. Good luck with your decision!

Cheers.