14 Team League?

oneteaminglasgow

I have just wikipediaed (is that a word) the Danish superliga and Danish 1st Division which both have 12 teams that meet 3 times each with no split. Strange to use that as an example.

At the end of this season one team will be relegated from the Superliga and three promoted from the first division, making it a fourteen team top league from the start of next season.

been thinking about league reconstruction and what would give supporters of all fortytwo clubs the most varied and interesting options for avoiding the repetitiveness of playing the same opponents four times a season in league alone, with little change in their opponents season after season, due to the various restrictions and obstacles they all face to progress.

i have also considered how to spice up the whole league structure to ensure fair play is achieved but at same time open up and maximise the chances of the top league title being won by another club out with the smelly green arse or the new infant stinky blue one, as well as coming up with an option for tv companies to get all the bile filled sectarian bigotfests they crave. other considerations include promotion and relegation as well as ensuring there is no reduction in overall games in a season by taking account of various cup competition amendments.

so here is my solution to ending to numbfest of multiple games per season against same old .....

league of forty two equals fortyone game league season.

teams play one another once a season, and home/away fixture is alternated every season.

for first season of it, clubs are awarded points based on how they finished the current four tier leagues ..... so premiership champions start new league with one point, runner up two points, all the way down to the (at present playoff winner of bottom league) who would start season with fortytwo points.

following seasons follow same formula, of champions start with one point all the way down (and up in points) to thirtyeighth place who get thirty eight points, then the four new clubs promoted start with fortytwo points.

3 points for a win in ninety minutes, 2 points for a win in onetwenty minutes, 1 point apiece if a draw after onetwenty.

such a league structure and points system would open up the table and make it last with excitement and intrigue for all clubs supporters right through to end of season, and open up the possibility of a wide variety of potential champions.

bottom four in league relegated and replaced with four league winners of regionals.

to take account of the slight increase in league games for the current three lower leagues, scrap the irrelevant challenge cup.

league cup setup model as i suggested a couple of days ago, scottish cup no replays, finals in november and may respectively.

and if this isn't satisfactory to the tv companies, i am quite happy to let the two bum cheeks have a league of their own, where they could travel the world and play in philly, boston, dublin, belfast, rome, tel aviv, tehran, tikrit, baghdad, homs, mosul, kirkut, pyongyang, arctic circle, and wherever else.

job done. move aside dudcaster, i'm taking your job. :wacko:

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 2

If there is to be a 14 team league next season, the bottom club should still be relegated, with top 3 in Championship being promoted and 4th in a play off with 9th in the Premiership.

I think it would be fairer if 11th in the Premier were in the play off, still this idea would add some interest to the late season games with all the permutations of not finishing 9th. There have been worse ideas though, for instance penalty kicks at the end of league cup draws.