Monty Selects Finalises Team

Blackpool Jags

Molinari (E), Harrington and Donald in: no place for Casey, Poulter, Rose and others who must've fancied their chances of being selected to take on the Americans.

That said, it was always going to be an impossible task to please everybody.

I thought Casey was a cert to play. Harrington's recent Ryder Cup form has been poor, while Poulter played out his skin in the last event...

Anyway, monni Europe. Intaerrum.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/iaincarter/2010/08/montys_gamble_as_harrington_ed.html

Apologies for jumbled thread title. :blush:

Edited by Blackpool Jags

"Justin Rose will, though, be selected if Westwood fails to recover from an ongoing calf injury."

(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8942740.stm )

Think it's 6 rookies in the team, but this year Europe has an embarrassment of riches, where the rookies earned their places through the points system and their form, while there was always going to be half a dozen big names and experienced players who were bound to miss out due to either not competing (or doing well enough) in enough euro comps or chasing the dollar in US and other territories and hoping Monty would pick them on an old pals act basis.

Fingers crossed for Europe to slay the Yanks in the Welsh Hills.

Decent picks, I respect monty for not goign for the easy Casey/Rose option, if they arent willing to bend their schedule to show they want to be there (like Jimenez) or even turn up earlier in the season for the Welsh Open to get a feel of the course then he is right to drop them.

Harrington is only in as he needs someone to partner McIlroy, his record is shocking in the ryder cup.

The 2 italians will be good together they will win a stack of points

I still don't know how I feel about this. Solid picks, and the Molinaris will be unstoppable together, but....

The timing of the announcement just seemed like Monty trying to land a jab on the guys who decided to play in the US this week. Ok, they could have come to Gleneagles, but these guys have played the majority of their seasons in the US anyway, and they live over there.

Tough decision, and I can understand why Donald and Molinari were picked. Donald is a great matchplay player. He'll wear you down hitting fairways and greens all day. Great parter in the foursomes too, undefeated if I remember correctly.

Harrington was picked due to his major wins. He's the nearest we have to a Tiger over here. Although his RC record is pretty shocking.

Casey is really unfortunate to miss out, and I don't understand how Rose can be an alternate. Surely the next on the qualifying list should be bumped up if a qualifier drops out?

To leave out a guy in the world top 10 is a bold move.

Decent picks, I respect monty for not goign for the easy Casey/Rose option, if they arent willing to bend their schedule to show they want to be there (like Jimenez) or even turn up earlier in the season for the Welsh Open to get a feel of the course then he is right to drop them.

Harrington is only in as he needs someone to partner McIlroy, his record is shocking in the ryder cup.

The 2 italians will be good together they will win a stack of points

McIlroy will be partnered by McDowell.

I agree with the points made about Casey/Rose but I still think I'd have picked Casey purely down to his Ryder Cup record. Has Harrington played many times in Europe this season? I think Monty made a rod for his own back by saying he would definitely pick Harrington on the eve of the Open.