Young Thistle Scheme

JobbyMahoney

Took Jobby Jr to his first ever game yesterday and excitedly signed him up to the scheme and got handed his flag (which his wee sister broke within 2 minutes of getting back in the house). I was expecting some kind of welcome pack and the website mentions a t-shirt for new members.

When I asked what I got, I was told a passport which haven't come in yet. So, essentially, I have a cheapo (and broken) flag for a tenner at present.

Can I expect anything exciting to come in teh post or to pick up at games??

Took Jobby Jr to his first ever game yesterday and excitedly signed him up to the scheme and got handed his flag (which his wee sister broke within 2 minutes of getting back in the house). I was expecting some kind of welcome pack and the website mentions a t-shirt for new members.

When I asked what I got, I was told a passport which haven't come in yet. So, essentially, I have a cheapo (and broken) flag for a tenner at present.

How old is Jobby Jr? My wee guy is nearly three so, given his tender age, I probably won't renew for him this year. Last year he got the passport and that was it. For a tenner that was a bit crap tbh. However, if your kid is older and qualifies for a t-shirt and some of the activities on offer it's probably more worthwhile, but can't really vouch for anything. Personally I'm going to leave it until he's of an age where there is some social value in it for him.

My fiancee is the manager of a popular visitor attraction, through the years she's worked in various places within that industry and it's very easy to condemn these kind of kids things, parents stump up hard earned cash for what is basically cheap merchandise in return, in any industry it's pure marketing to generate interest and hopefully that generates more income in the future. So I guess it all depends on how much you believe its worth.

When it comes to value for money, what you recieve is never likely to match up for what you paid. However, the main thing in all of it is the kids themselves ,especially when it comes to PTFC and generating future interest, if the kids are happy, it's worth every penny.

TBH I take mini-me to all home games and I personally feel that giving the club £10, regardless of what I get in return, is worth it given that he gets in for free anyway. I've signed him up, though I do agree that they could be a bit quicker with the passport etc. as the second home game is but a week away.

My "robust" 6 year old hasn't broken his and he usually breaks everything within minutes! Might be worth an e-mail to Ami. He's been a member since he's been born and I think it's pretty good. Usually get another wee gift and the Christmas party is worth at least a tenner, there are always players attending ,along with PeeTee. However ,as mentioned by other posters it's about "club identity" and recognizing the young fan.

Edited by jasmclaughlin

My "robust" 6 year old hasn't broken his and he usually breaks everything within minutes! Might be worth an e-mail to Ami. He's been a member since he's been born and I think it's pretty good. Usually get another wee gift and the Christmas party is worth at least a tenner, there are always players attending ,along with PeeTee. However ,as mentioned by other posters it's about "club identity" and recognizing the young fan.

Don't forget the players' zone at the end too. My older wean doesn't like that coz he says "it smells in there", but the wee one loves it: defo her favourite part of the Firhill experience. That. plus the flag and the parties and stuff is SO worth a tenner - even leaving aside the longer term aim of indoctrinating our children. And that really is the point: who else is going to take us to the games when we are 85 and ga-ga?

TBH I take mini-me to all home games and I personally feel that giving the club £10, regardless of what I get in return, is worth it given that he gets in for free anyway. I've signed him up, though I do agree that they could be a bit quicker with the passport etc. as the second home game is but a week away.

I tend to agree with the sentiment, after all - I'm getting the wee man in for free so giving something back seems entirely fair. However if it is all about the young fans then I question how well the scheme is working. My kid never got an invite to anything at Xmas, or any other wee gifts, or even a T-shirt. He got a PT Passport, followed a year later with an invitation to rejoin. It would be better value to just buy him a programme of his own.

I don't want to sound like a moaner, I think the club is really trying on this front, and little things like PeeTee coming into the stand to say hello make a huge impression on the wee ones, but I can't help feeling we were supposed to get something more for our tenner...

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

This year all kids who join will receive a flag, a PT Passport (is in the final stages with the printers)

The passport has players pics in it and a space on each page for autographs... after every SFL home game we have 2 players in the player zone signing autographs.

We also have a Christmas party at the stadium, this is attended by a bunch of first team players and coaches who take part in games etc with the kids.

All under 16s go free to all SFL games.

If anybody has any feedback on the Young Thistle Scheme please feel free to drop me an e-mail [email protected].

Thanks,

Ami

What do you expect for a tenner?

The scheme does exactly what it should as far as I'm concerned. It allows the kids contact with the players, something you never had in my day other than hanging over the wall to get autographs and it gives the weans a bit of something red n yella to try and help with the brainwashing.

Last season the club were dishing out hat and scarf sets, which for a tenner and along with the the passport idea and xmas party was superb for only paying a brown one. Getting a flag this season is ideal. Some folk just want the earth...

The scheme does exactly what it should as far as I'm concerned. It allows the kids contact with the players, something you never had in my day other than hanging over the wall to get autographs and it gives the weans a bit of something red n yella to try and help with the brainwashing.

Last season the club were dishing out hat and scarf sets, which for a tenner and along with the the passport idea and xmas party was superb for only paying a brown one. Getting a flag this season is ideal. Some folk just want the earth...

A t-shirt, as per the official website :P , although it seems the t-shirts have been replaced by the flags.

I agree it is a good deal overall, maybe just a bit better for the slightly older kids, as Jobby Jr is only 4.

Registered my 2 last year, got a passport each and both were invited to the christmas party, they are still a bit young tho. Still getting them registered this season and might even take them to the party this time, there only 5 tho so we'll see nearer the time. It awrite for a tenner, especially since they get in to the games for free :thumbsup2:

Agreed, for a tenner that's great. But my kid only got the Passport, which is a bit less great. Nae T-shirt, or hat & scarf or even a Xmas party invite. I think it all becomes worthwhile once the kids are old enough to qualify for the parties and gifts, otherwise it's just a tenner donation to the club - which if I do renew I'll just consider it as such.

Agreed, for a tenner that's great. But my kid only got the Passport, which is a bit less great. Nae T-shirt, or hat & scarf or even a Xmas party invite. I think it all becomes worthwhile once the kids are old enough to qualify for the parties and gifts, otherwise it's just a tenner donation to the club - which if I do renew I'll just consider it as such.

Sounds like you were bumped. Get on the PMs to Ami and see if they've any hat and scarf sets left for you.