1968-69 Programmes

a f kincaid

Curious about a 1968-69 programme I recently came across.

Inside the normal PT programme there is a 20-page "Football League Review" (Vol 3 No 35). Properly stapled in - presumably by the printers. Brief research on the internet suggests this weekly magazine was produced by the FA (not the SFA) and as well as being sold (1 /-), supplies were distributed to clubs to coincide with their next home match for insertion into their programmes. Printers must have loved this (not)!

Quite why the FA would want to flog their magazine in Scotland escapes me. There is no Scottish content in the magazine. Can any collectors with programmes of this vintage tell me if this was common practice for Thistle/other clubs? Could it have been a one-off experiment?

I seem to remember something vaguely similar in either the late 70s or early 80s, when a larger-than-normal programme was integrated with some general football stuff that had little to do with the particular clubs involved in this fixture. I think it continued for several months.

One question that arises with the 1968-69 example: was it included "free", or did the price increase from what it had been? Somehow, and I think this might even have been the reason for the disappearance, I don't think supporters would want to pay more for stuff that is basically irrelevant to them.