Support Abe This Afternoon

kni

Best bit of bullshit was Sepp Blatters attempt to rub their noses even further by stating that football originated in China :o . I really cant stand the man as he epitomises all that is wrong with those that run fotball but in fairness England deserve all they get wish they would dry their eyes

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Scotland-score-a-39home-win39.6648514.jp

"Before announcing England's failure to host the 2018 World Cup, Mr Blatter claimed that the game had first been played in China in antiquity.

But he then insisted it was first played officially in "England and Scotland".

The remark contradicted English claims during its bid that it alone was the "mother country" of the game."

:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Arabian peninsula has three times the population of South Africa though. Ignoring them would be like ignoring the population of mainland England if the cup was held on the Isle of Wight.

True, but SA has millions of football fans. How many of the "three times the population of SA" will be willing to travel to another country when they are not football fans. Asking a smaller number of local football fans in Jo'burg or Cape Town if they want a ticket, they would all jump at it. Ask non-football fans if they want to pay to travel to another country to watch the World Cup, very different.

There would have been a legacy if England had won. It would have ensured that new stadia were build (or expanded) in Plymouth, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Bristol and London (Tottenham/Hackney).

So Home Park would have had an extra tier stuck on it that would have been removed afterward as it would not be needed.

Milton Keynes would have the seats put in the tope tier.

Nottingham and Bristol get new grounds that are already planned and will happen without the World Cup.

Wembley and Emirates were London's contributions, whether or not Spurs rebuild their toilet was irrelevant and will happen anyway.

Not much of a legacy is it?

So Home Park would have had an extra tier stuck on it that would have been removed afterward as it would not be needed.

Milton Keynes would have the seats put in the tope tier.

Nottingham and Bristol get new grounds that are already planned and will happen without the World Cup.

Wembley and Emirates were London's contributions, whether or not Spurs rebuild their toilet was irrelevant and will happen anyway.

Not much of a legacy is it?

England has several good stadia so the legacy was always going to be limited. Plymouth and MK were the main weaknesses. Hillsborough and Elland Road would have needed a lot of money spent on them too. I was a bit surprised that Twickenham (seats 90k) was not included. It would have made sense to have had a West London venue.

Personally, I would liked to have seen Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh included. The SFA and WFA should have done a deal that could have led us to playing at home if we qualified. Glasgow has 3 top stadiums and Murrayfield would have made a great World Cup venue.

True, but SA has millions of football fans. How many of the "three times the population of SA" will be willing to travel to another country when they are not football fans. Asking a smaller number of local football fans in Jo'burg or Cape Town if they want a ticket, they would all jump at it. Ask non-football fans if they want to pay to travel to another country to watch the World Cup, very different.

Very valid points. However, how many people who pay to go to a top boxing match in LV, or buy LA Lakers tickets are actually sports fans and how many are just there to say they were there? I'd imagine there'd be plenty of Arabs who will want to attend for the status alone. Corporate tickets shouldn't be hard to flog. Of course, we'd all prefer it if it was true football fans who were at the games, but if some of those who go along turn into real fans then it's job done to a certain extent I guess. If that spurs Qatar's league into something more than a retirement home for has been stars looking to grab a paycheque in exchange for a holiday then that's great.

European football fans can watch top quality football within 200 miles of their front door, you can't say that for Arabian fans.

Prince William is president of the FA - I also believe he is an Aston Villa supporter.

Thanks for clarifying, I honestly didn't know that or the the minor royals (he's probably a bit higher up the food chain)and good to see that he's a man of the people with a passion for the people's game. But WTF Aston Villa, did he like the colours or the accents or something? I'm not knocking him for his choice and actually pleasantly surprised. Do you think Prince Charles would be a natural jags fan - man of single mind and conscience who clearly wishes he wasn't a royal (just made that last bit up, but who knows?). Prince Philip would obviously support the H*ns.

Can't actually believe that I'm commenting about our beloved royal family; my mum would be proud! :blush:

Thanks for clarifying, I honestly didn't know that or the the minor royals (he's probably a bit higher up the food chain)and good to see that he's a man of the people with a passion for the people's game. But WTF Aston Villa, did he like the colours or the accents or something? I'm not knocking him for his choice and actually pleasantly surprised. Do you think Prince Charles would be a natural jags fan - man of single mind and conscience who clearly wishes he wasn't a royal (just made that last bit up, but who knows?). Prince Philip would obviously support the H*ns.

Can't actually believe that I'm commenting about our beloved royal family; my mum would be proud! :blush:

I reckon if Chas was a Jags fan he'd have a thing or two to say about Propco. He'd be very protective of the Excellent Main Stand, maybe even going as far as to exercise some sort of royal prerogative to prevent its demolition.

Phil, on the other hand, would almost certainly be an Airdrie fan. I don't doubt his wee heart would swell with admiration for the sub-humans of section B. :thumbdown: