Mcleish

lady-isobel-barnett

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just possible that FIFA excom members took their cue from their SPL counterparts antics a few years back, with their hollow pledges for England's bid. When the SPL get their 11-1 majority, we're all left guessing which one of the four actually did vote against the proposals. We shouldn't forget, they have form on this.

If this does pass - i've read a couple of things that suggest the eight teams required to make up the SPL2 will be 'invited'. As far as people are aware, is this an invitation as we understand it (i.e. they pick the eight they want), or do they just wait until the end of the season before and 'invite' the top eight teams? If it's the former - anyone know if we are one of the choosen few, if it's the later - it kind of makes a mockery of the season before. If it's the later, they'd be as well starting SPL1 and SPL2 next season to avoid a whole season of pointlessness and surely further reduced crowds.

If this does pass - i've read a couple of things that suggest the eight teams required to make up the SPL2 will be 'invited'. As far as people are aware, is this an invitation as we understand it (i.e. they pick the eight they want), or do they just wait until the end of the season before and 'invite' the top eight teams? If it's the former - anyone know if we are one of the choosen few, if it's the later - it kind of makes a mockery of the season before. If it's the later, they'd be as well starting SPL1 and SPL2 next season to avoid a whole season of pointlessness and surely further reduced crowds.

I suppose the eight top teams in SFL Div1 would be invited but there could be minimum stadia standards etc. :unsure:

I suppose the eight top teams in SFL Div1 would be invited but there could be minimum stadia standards etc. :unsure:

But are there eight teams in Division 1 that meet those criteria - we do, Dundee, Raith, Dunfermline, Falkirk (and their undersoil heating!). Pretty certain the other 5 teams don't - no undersoil, the satanic abomination that is terracing and so on. So do Livingston and Airdrie get an invite on the basis that their infrastructure is representative of the SPL2 'vision' plus three a.n. others?

For what it's worth and will probably achieve hee-haw, a copy of the e-mail I've sent to the SPL. Probably go straight in the trash!

Dear SPL

I would like to put forward an opinion on the planned reformation of the SPL into two leagues of 10 teams that is allegedly going to be voted through by clubs in January.

If this reformation goes ahead it will categorically destroy Scottish Football.

Interest from fans in Scotland is waning fast, especially from lower end SPL clubs and SFL Division 1. Attendances are dropping rapidly and many will never regain that support unless something radical (not two leagues of 10) is implemented.

Playing 4 fixtures against the same club each Season is probably the biggest cause of apathy. Our competitions are predictable, uninteresting, inflexible and pander to the Old Firm. Two divisions of ten is a retrograde step that will take us back to the late 80's and early 90's - a situation that was decided at the time wasn't working.

Do you realise that a club in the 1st Division could potentially play another team 8 times in one season? Fans are sick and tired of this format - it is killing the game. Fans are sick and tired of seeing the same teams week in week out. A larger SPL 16-18 teams with 3 up 3 down would generate new interest amongst the Fan Base in Scottish Football outwith the Old Firm. Even something completely radical such as regional divisions with end of season playoffs might even be attractive.

A turnover of 1 team a season in the SPL has caused the game to stagnate badly not just in the SPL but in SFL 1.

Unfortunately I feel that the fans have had no input into this and we are pandering to the Old Firm and chairmen who are too scared to let their valued home games against Rangers and Celtic go.

Fans will continue to dwindle as long as teams play each other 4 times a season. One word. Boredom. We need interest and excitement.

Yours optimistically

Aaron Barnes

Well summarised. You speak for me too there.

Henry puts the fans in their place:

"The fans are close to the game but not its finances. I acknowledge they want a bigger league but it would create serious financial difficulties. Everyone has a right to be heard and debate is good but we must be realistic and not pretend the financial nature of our game is going to change overnight."

See? You don't understand it like they do. Not like the guys who ran up all the crippling debts in the first place at clubs all around Scotland.

I wonder how often he paid at the gate during his review.

Henry puts the fans in their place:

"The fans are close to the game but not its finances. I acknowledge they want a bigger league but it would create serious financial difficulties. Everyone has a right to be heard and debate is good but we must be realistic and not pretend the financial nature of our game is going to change overnight."

See? You don't understand it like they do. Not like the guys who ran up all the crippling debts in the first place at clubs all around Scotland.

I wonder how often he paid at the gate during his review.

Strangely though, nobody who is a fan is expecting overnight change in the financial nature of our game. There's a consensus however that progressive systemic change is needed that results in a more sensible long term prospective for Scottish football. A good start would be a genuine pyramid that allows progressive clubs to move up through the lower ranks.

Forcing teams with small grounds they can't fill to spend wads of cash to improve them to bigger grounds they can't fill. That doesn't make any sense at all, I mean what kind of hapless organisation would demand such things? :unsure:

Know where you're coming from but there should still be some minimum criteria. I agree that clubs shouldn't have to upgrade capacity but they should be made to comply with having to offer a certain percentage of their capacity to away support. Also if there was an SPL 2 there should never be another Raydale and Morton should have to clean up their act.

Strangely though, nobody who is a fan is expecting overnight change in the financial nature of our game. There's a consensus however that progressive systemic change is needed that results in a more sensible long term prospective for Scottish football. A good start would be a genuine pyramid that allows progressive clubs to move up through the lower ranks.

Exactly. In just a few short sentences he patronises the bedrock support underpinning the whole game, sets up a straw man argument, throws in some vague waffly jargon and exposes the sham of his own consultation process.

You can see why he got the job.

A good start would be a genuine pyramid that allows progressive clubs to move up through the lower ranks.

One of the flawed arguments against larger SFL leagues is that a larger bottom division would have no relegation. So you could have four or five teams competing for promotion from the bottom league and maybe a dozen teams playing meaningless fixtures for much of the season.

A league no matter the size without relegation season on season is nonsense. The perennial and regular 3rd Div clubs like Montrose, Berwick, Albion Rovers and many more will obviously vote for the status quo of a ten club bottom division and no to a pyramid system. Just another case of self preservation within the SFL.

Sandwiched between the aforementioned lower league clubs and the self preservation league itself are clubs like Ayr, Raith, Ross Co, Pars, Falkirk and of course ourselves. It's hardly any surprise that it's ourselves and these other clubs that are facing the greatest financial hardships. The fact that we're playing in a a repetitive tedious league of ten is no coincidence nor is the fact that clubs of similar status to ourselves are the ones who've been haemorrhaging support.