When A Job Vacancy Doesn't Exist

Big Col

So I spot this advert for a good sounding vacancy in my line of work and I think I'll look into that.

CV is e-mailed to the recruitment agency and they duly call me back.

However, from conversation it is quite clear that the advertised vacancy did not actually exist and all they wanted was as many people as possible to send in CV's to them so they could get them signed up to the agency.

All they will actually do is send your CV round some employers that might be interested in you (but do not neccessarily have any vacancies).

Bit of a con is it not?

Anyone in this industry shed any light on this practice?

So I spot this advert for a good sounding vacancy in my line of work and I think I'll look into that.

CV is e-mailed to the recruitment agency and they duly call me back.

However, from conversation it is quite clear that the advertised vacancy did not actually exist and all they wanted was as many people as possible to send in CV's to them so they could get them signed up to the agency.

All they will actually do is send your CV round some employers that might be interested in you (but do not neccessarily have any vacancies).

Bit of a con is it not?

Anyone in this industry shed any light on this practice?

Nothing new Colin. 25 years ago when I worked in London I went for a job as advertised. It took 6 weeks of continually chasing them before I started working for them.

This was for a job which was meant to be an immediate start ! I reckon if I hadn't pushed them I would still be waiting for a call.

They are just wishing to increase the number of qualified people on their list.

It's a bit annoying I agree, but if you have a good relationship with a number of agencies they can be really helpful when it comes to getting a job.

I'm a contractor and agencies are always calling/emailing offering roles. Pretty sure I've sent my CV to some of them for a job that didn't exist.